Graphic Novel Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Johnny Stooge, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Axelxxx45 Destiny Islands Resident

in the real world, blowing away fantasies.
    Used to read some superman. But now i really only read bleach, naruto, and FMA.

2. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

I bet you guys have some cool stories and ****, but I did exactly make this thread for you guys to go "oh but i only read manga now". You've got a whole section for that ****.

Also, I had to compile a list for the guys at KHI so I figure I'd post it here too.
    This the reading order for the current volume's of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I can update with issues later on if people need that, but for now these are just the titles of the trades.

Green Lantern Vol.4:

1. Rebirth
    2. No Fear
    3. Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    4. Wanted - Hal Jordan
    5. Sinestro Corps War (volumes 1, 2 and Tales of the Sinestro Corps)
    6. Secret Origin
    7. Rage of the Red Lanterns
    8. Agent Orange

Green Lantern Corps:

1. Recharge
    2. To Be a Lantern
    3. The Dark Side of Green
    4. Ring Quest
    5. Sins of the Star Sapphire
    6. Emerald Eclipse

3. krayzie Ruthless Villain

well if you read my post thats not wat i said so cool it with the attitude
    i still have comics while i threw out all my mangas
    i dont read them often (since i know them by heart) but i like the ones i have and take really good care of them
    and my favorite character is vemon
    i also like spiderman, daredevil and some others

4. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Thanking you for this, I meant to check back in here a lot sooner, but being banned and then inactive takes away my thread reading time :b

I really need to get my ass in gear over this or I actually will end up getting lost.

5. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

Just trying to inspire some activity...

I want everyone to tell me what books they're picking up on a regular basis and books they might be reading in trade format. Be it Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, IDW, Boom! etc. Make recommendations, tell us about interesting books you might have seen on the shelf or storylines you're really interested in right now.

Me? I'll break down what I'm reading for you:

Marvel
    Captain America (Reborn)
    Invincible Iron Man
    Thor (dropping when JMS exits)
    Daredevil
    Uncanny X-Men
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
    Ultimate Comics Avengers
    Spider-Woman

I also picked up the X-Men and Daredevil "The List" one-shots this week, even though I just want Dark Reign to end.

DC Comics
    Superman
    Superman: Secret Origin (mini-series)
    Action Comics
    Adventure Comics
    Superman: World of New Krypton (maxi-series)
    Supergirl
    Batman and Robin
    Red Robin
    Detective Comics
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Blackest Night (mini)
    Blackest Night: Batman; Superman; Titans (mini's)
    Flash: Rebirth (mini)
    Justice League of America (as of #38)
    The Brave & the Bold

I've also been looking into Power Girl, R.E.B.E.L.S. and Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth (published under Vertigo).

As everyone knows Geoff Johns is one of my favourite writers (isn't he everyones?) and Green Lantern has been one of my favourite reads for the past couple of years. But Superman holds the place as my favourite character and I really enjoy the New Krypton storyline and just can't get enough of it all.
    I'm still yet to read Sweet Tooth, but I've wanted to try my hand at a Vertigo ongoing for a while and the first issue got great reviews and since it's just started I think this might be good.

And when I get the money, I want to buy Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter (IDW). Darwyn Cooke's art looks absolutely fantastic like always and the book itself feels like a novel from the era. Not like a normal graphic novel. I've also heard that I should look into Jeff Lemire's other work, so I think I'd like to take a look at his Essex County Trilogy (Top Shelf Productions). I have no idea what it's about, but I've heard it's a very touching book and that's good enough to me.

6. The Fuk? Dead

I used to read the Sonic the Hedgehog comics books they sold at Market Basket. I enjoyed them.

7. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

Well when i was younger i used to read Marvel comics, mainly Spider man and from DC, Batman. But for some reason translated Marvel and DC comic stopped being published and till i got seventeen i wasn't aware of the various comic book stores that had a variety of Marvel and DC comics. And although the past few years new publishing houses made their appearance and now we have Marvel, Dark horse and DC comics i don't read them a lot.

I tried to catch up, but i believe that the superhero genre is a complete mess. One hero dies, then other travels to the past to stop something like the Civil war in the Marvel universe etc etc. Why won't they just have a beginning and end is something i will never understand. Why there should be so many adaptions? And why do they make stupid comics like the Marvel zombies! I could go on but i'd better stop.

Now, from Marvel i used to read Ultimate Spider man and Fantastic four but i stopped. Some time in the future i will finish those stories as i like them a lot. I would also like to read the Civil war saga although many people claim that is a complete and useless mess. I guess i will have to figure that out on my own. On the DC part i'm very interested at the Trinity saga. I'm on volume six (i know, way back) and unfortunately i cannot find the other issues because the series has ended. I keep my hopes up though.

Apart from DC and Disney, i read W.I.T.C.H (which is a hundred times better than the cartoon adaption), Groo, which i 100% recommend reading since his it's a hilarious comic, and many many Disney stories and comics. Anyone familiar with the likes of Carl barks and Don Rosa? I will also begin reading Sky Doll asap.

8. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

ohhh what the ****.

9. Sora's Apprentice Merlin's Housekeeper

Comics-
    New 52 DC
    Green Lantern
    Nightwing
    Batman and Robin
    Batman
    Superman
    Blue Beetle

Marvel
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2099

Graphic Novels-
    Batman Forever (Based on Movie)

10. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

Ooh! A comic thread ; u ;
    Why have I not ever seen this?

I follow a limited series currently because comics need cash - which I need as well (all of DC's New 52) :
    Nightwing
    Catwoman
    Red Hood and The Outlaws
    Suicide Squad
    Batman and Robin
    Teen Titans

I also follow the Young Justice comics, based on the show on Cartoon Network <3
    I sometimes borrow my sister's DCNU Batman comics.

But I have a bunch of older DC comics before the reboot and lots of first few issues (Detective Comics, Justice League, Batman and Robin, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Nightwing, Robin...). I like them a lot. And have a bunch of graphic novels too, like Year Ones and other complilations (All Star Batman, DC Encyclopedia, The laughing man...).

I'm getting a bit into Marvel as my brother buys the Ultimates. Also since my friends are religious to their Marvel comics and we often just share and borrow each others' comics.

11. Spike H E R O

I always wanted to get into comic books, but it's hard getting into this stuff on your own (which is really the only way I know ho to do ****, really), but since last year, I've been scrounging up whatever spare cash I can to buy some Daredevil collections volumes.

Once I'm done with those I'll be moving on to Batman, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to find some Nightwing comics. I can't begin to tell you how much easier the release of DCNU has made my life.

12. Krowley Moderator

Recently finished New Teen Titans: Games and going to read House of M (Really wanted to read this for the longest time)
    Trying to get more into Batman, but don;t really know where to start.
    I mostly read X-men, Teen Titans, or Spider-man. I've only read a few for Nightwing.
    Trying to expand and get more variety from comics. Lately it's just been Retro Game Nostalgia.

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Oh my. Time to open my comixology account.
    Aside from DCnU, for DC I've read Flash: Rebirth, Flash vol. 2(? leading up to Flashpoint), Flashpoint, Batman: Under the Hood, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Arkham Asylum/A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: The Killing Joke, Action Comics #900, Batgirl: Rising (and the Batgirl issue that crosses over with Red Robin), Azrael #1000000, Batman and Robin #23 and 24, the Booster Gold Flashpoint comics, Time Masters, Identity Crisis (<33), JLA #43-54 (Tower of Babel-Duel Identities), all 26 Red Robin issues, and Superman Beyond.
    I've also read the initial DC New 52.
    As what I'm currently reading and following from DC, that's:
    Batman
    Batman and Robin
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Red Lanterns
    Batman Beyond
    Blue Beetle
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    I, Vampire
    Justice League
    Justice League Beyond
    Red hood and the Outlaws
    Superboy
    Teen Titans

For Marvel, I've read the first volume of Runaways, two volumes of Invincible (pretty sure it was two volumes), Death of Spiderman (Ultimate), Ultimate Comics: Fallout and a few random issues here and there of Spider-Man.
    I'm currently following:
    Avenging Spider-Man
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ultimate X-Men
    Prelude to the Avengers: Nick Fury's Big Week
    and I plan on following Avengers vs. X-Men once it starts.

And what's with all the manga in this thread?

14. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'm not as bigger fan of them as some people here and I don't follow any particular series, mainly because I'm tight, I read them waay to fast and probably couldn't afford to. However I do really like reading graphic novels and I've probably almost read every graphic novel that my local libary and college libary has. I read mostly the well known ones as that tends to be what they have in. Although I particulary like the girls like bat girl/woman as well as the groups like Justice League, Teen Titans and of course X-men (I'm currently obsessed with Kitty Pryde). However I'll give anything a go and I like virtually all of them.

15. Sora's Apprentice Merlin's Housekeeper

Anyone else here wonder why the New Green Lantern (New 52) series still has Hal when in the Hal Jordan connection series of 3 issues showed he died???

16. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Do you mean in Flashpoint: Hal Jordan #3? The entire Flashpoint universe (The war between the Amazons and Atlantis, Hal's death, Abin Sur becoming White Lantern, Bruce's dad being Batman, etc.) didn't happen, in a way. That's how the DC universe was rebooted into the DCnU, which the New 52 is a part of. If you haven't finished Flashpoint, don't read the following spoiler, but it explains how:
    Barry Allen, the Flash, went back in time to save his mom from dying. This somehow changed the history of the world into what became Flashpoint. Those were all real characters, but with darker pasts (like Batman being Bruce's dad and the Joker being his mother after Bruce died instead of his parents). In the end, Flash decided to fix it and used his superspeed to do it. In the process (and with possibly some guidance from a new character), he ended up merging three different universes: DC, Wildstorm, Vertigo (three comic companies, but are ultimately published by DC, I think). This also ended up changing history, but not as dramatically as Flashpoint did. So in a way, by merging the three universes, Flash removed Flashpoint from ever happening, as well as a lot of previous events.

17. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Meh, I read the underground comics that most people don't know of. I am not really into all the superhero stuff. I like that kind of off brand comic that makes you think, not just "Wow, wish I could do that!" Though I do wish I could leap buildings and fly . . . though one of those would be kind of pointless, with both, if you think about it.

18. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

Well, hi, posting again here because the comic place where I go to is having a launch party for one of the most anticipated releases.

Avengers vs X-men.
    Now, I'm trying my hardest to attend tonight because I'm really excited to meet other artists and comics are going to be a lot cheaper haha. But I'm not too keen on Marvel since I am more of a DC fan, but I think I'm using this to get into Marvel. Has anyone else heard of AVX? Is anyone excited for it too? Opinions such?

19. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

A lot of comics aren't like that, though :/ Superhero comics seem to have this stereotype that it's all flashy and good vs. bad with good always winning. It isn't always like that and I would say that most aren't. Fun fact, though, have you ever wondered why Superman used to always be described as "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" even though he can fly, "more powerful than a locomotive" and "faster than a speeding bullet?" It's because those were originally his only powers.
    I can't wait for it, tbh. I've read the prelude (AvX #0) and it's actually the first thing I've ever read with Hope Summers. It's supposed to be a huge event, bigger than the Civil War, but beginner friendly for new readers. The only thing I've yet to understand is why the Avengers are fighting the X-Men over the Phoenix Force. I mean, I know Cyclops isn't the most...rational person when it comes to the Phoenix, but is he really going to lead the X-Men into war over it? And they're simply going to follow him? Though, I'm pretty sure it's going to be because of M-Day. With the mutant race almost decimated, the X-Men want Hope to become the Phoenix and bring the mutant race back as the next step in human evolution. It's going to be weird seeing Beast and Wolverine with the Avengers, though, instead of the X-Men.

20. Sora's Apprentice Merlin's Housekeeper

Thanks man. Ya I have every last flashpoint issue but it didnt register to me that the flashpoint issues connected with the New 52 XD
    I get it know