No Thanks Coders get more power

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Firekeyblade, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Cough Cough.

If that were true some of the current coders wouldn't have their job.

My thoughts exactly.

2. NarutoSuperKubii Chaser

We'll I read this thread again and I came to the conclusion that if members can post codes and if coders have to ask a mod to give infractions then coders are basically just a useless mod cause really all they can do in the code vault is lock sticky and delete, but even if they delete it the person can always just post it back and the coders wont be able to do anything.

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

This is coming from someone who goes to the code vault frequently thus his 2,700 posts. He is also a pretty damn good hacker.
    If people like this are going to be ignored then the code vault really doesn't have a voice.

I agree with him on this.

4. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

The thing is, there haven't really been "new" codes in years. So a Coder's job is really just the latter these days. The Code Vault section has quite a lot of posters who don't read the rules and make new threads instead of asking in existing ones, as well as people who more or less spam the threads by asking for things that are clearly located on the front page. So I don't really blame the sectional mods there for wanting some extra help, because this happens quite often.

Not everyone has the time or motivation to be a full-fledged mod, though. But I think it makes sense to have Coders (people who should know answers to most questions asked, and have knowledge of how the Code Vault works) act as mini-mods for that section. Besides, if a Coder should start to abuse their mod-like powers, couldn't a sectional moderator just revoke the Coder status?

5. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

What would we do to abuse them though. Give a member who will post once an infraction?

I would totally be fine with what the other staff are saying if they knew about the code vault as much or at all.

6. C This silence is mine

I personally think that the Coders are mostly fine as they are power wise, however, I do think that someone (one of the current coders perhaps?) should be put in charge of the Code Vault as a Sectional Mod, choosen through interviews of course and that person would sort of be the "head coder". If any of the other coders wanted to give someone an infraction or something then they could just ask the head coder guy and they would take care of it. I think that would work best for all accounts. The head coder would work as a relay to the staff to with acess to the staff section and such.

Just my two pennies.

7. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I have read everything so far, and I'll be a little blunt here, and say that it seems like coders are more or less being used because of their skill. I'm not saying they are forced, because obviously they can resign.

Why a coder is "less worth" than another sectional moderator, I don't quite understand. The Coders are the moderators of that section, and the only reason they aren't allowed to give infraction is because of an interview? They are still free to delete all the posts they may wish, am I right?

The staff, and as far as I understand, the coders are not staff, only... In lack of a better word, workers, have decided that there will be no more power to the coders. I don't see the reason of leaving this thread open, except giving the coders a bit of fake hope.

But how about perhaps giving a current coder a new role? A "Head coder," so to speak. Coding is difficult, as well as moderating, and there will be "bad" posts there, like in any other section.

If all the coders can do is to delete the bad posts it's bound to repeat itself several times, and I know that if I were to moderate a section, I would demand to be able to warn users. A "verbal warning" is nothing but words, because technically, it doesn't count.

So instead of denying this right off the bat, make a Coder who is interested, and does well in an interview a sectional mod in the coding section, and have the coders "report" to him.

The reason you need a coder for this is this:
    If a coder sees someone breaking the rules with an actual code, no matter what it might be and he explains this to someone who actually doesn't have any idea how the coding works, you will just be taking the coders word for it, and I don't see the difference between taking someone's word for it, and letting them do it themselves.

So indeed, I support.

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I am going to point out the obvious here. I seem to be the most active out of the four coders.

Now lets say I applied etc and eventually became a sectional mod. Would the other coders reporting to me even work out. Sure in theory it would work but if they aren't nearly as active they would probably not find anything worth reporting. Even if there was something worth reporting if I am online every day I would probably end up finding it and resolving it myself. It just seems like there are way more steps than there has to be. Why make something more complicated?

9. EvilMan_89 Code Master

but that's been sufficient for YEARS. i think only like ONCE that it wasn't, but even when a member who refused to stop spamming kept doing it, they got bored enough that it stopped quickly. yes, not the best solution, but once again, something like this is actually the exception to when we need more power.
    and this opinion of mine is coming from someone who is a frequent of the Code Vault, has over 4000 posts in there, and is a good hacker XD look, only on VERY rare occasions i felt the powers we had were insufficient.
    i think that's really the best solution. if we want Coders to have additional power, i feel that the interview process should be in there.

10. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I must ask something. What makes just bumping up the "power" of one or more coders so bad? In case you guys haven't seen we are trustworthy enough to take care of that section and not to mention we hacked and do hack all of these games which takes up a huge amount and sometimes all of my (can't say about the others) spare time. We aren't just moderating a section we do so much more than that. I know you may not respect us as coders or me but I want this to be done as professionally as possible. There is no reason not to give it to us. And if we don't use it all the time then that means we are doing our job and getting people to follow the rules. Last time I checked it is getting people to follow the rules is the point of being able to punish someone. Not for fun which is not what I want or believe at all. But hey it is all up to you in the end and I highly doubt you will change your minds but seriously I work and so do the other coders. I would like to see some of you attempt to hack these games. All and all it makes me feel awful to not get equal rights when we do moderate a section and we hack games. This is hard stuff people.

The code vault takes up a huge part of the site. Like it or not. We are all here and you heard what the normal members of the code vault said. Listen the us please. Making a choice without doing so is not right and not smart. After all when more kh games come around having a solid coder team with the support of a smart and solid coding community who follows the rules will help. We are a team.

11. EvilMan_89 Code Master

it's not a bad thing, it's just not needed. i dont' know why you feel it is. even if you have the power to give infractions, it doesn't really make a difference. something you seem to not notice. you make it seem as though the people who break the rules are the same people over and over again. it's not. when you tell people to read the rules and stop spamming etc. 9.5/10 times it stops. if it happens again, it's is from a different person. giving people infractions won't change anything because most offenders are different users from last time. once again, while i'm not really against this, i'm just saying it's not necessary and i'm honestly baffled as to why you feel it is.

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

The fact that someone did keep on breaking the rules and it added up very quickly and nothing was done about it really hits a nerve big time. Seems as if no one actually cares. Actions do speak louder than words.

13. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

But once again, I ask, why didn't you go to another staff member? We can't help if we don't know something's happening; this is true for every member of staff.

14. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I did in fact mention this to staff many times before. That specific case I did mention many times.
    Which makes me laugh because you were left in the dark while I mentioned this several times. Seems unfair doesn't it?

Plus and this is just my opinion/outlook on things. Why take a job and have someone else do the work? Once again that is just how I am.

EDIT: ehh that is worded somewhat wrong. This really doesn't help when I can't think straight. Anyway it just seems that it would work better if we were all even. I guess that is what separates me from the rest of the staff.

15. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

This was the first I'd ever heard of it, to be honest.

Well, by that logic, why not make every staff member an admin? Since sec mods need to ask super mods or admins to ban, and admins would have access to everything; why not just eliminate sec mods and super mods?
    It's just the system we're running on, and the offer is being made that Coders can apply for sectional moderators should they choose.

16. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Yeah didn't edit that fast enough. But yes I mentioned this several times.
    It seems to me that they either blew me off or didn't take me seriously or just forgot about it.

This thread is just making me less and less happy about all of this. ehh

EDIT: sorry for the edits but I am starting to think if this is how it is handled so I am not listened to for whatever reason then why are we still talking about this. Either way this is getting nowhere. It is unbelievably frustrating to do what I have done so far and get blown off like this. Sure I may be reacting a little badly but come on. I know coders are on the bottom of the food chain around here but a little respect helps. We work after all. Well some of us do. I will leave it at that. I could rant all day about this trust me this had to have came from somewhere so yeah.

17. Stardust Chaser

Please do not misunderstand, it's not that you've been deprived of some powers out of disrespect. You don't have them because you don't do the exact same things as a moderator nor go through the exact same hiring process. Everyone else on the staff team respects and appreciates the work you do very much, I assure you; we don't think of you as any 'less staff' than we are.

It's true, you moderate a section and hack games. However Coders are not chosen based on an interview, but based only on an application.

If you would rather be promoted to moderator, I don't see the problem in filling out an application and being interviewed for such a position. We've come to this decision because we believe it is only fair for you to go through the same hiring process as the sectional moderators if you want their exact powers.

Also as a side note, if you felt like you were blown off by one of us when reporting a problem then I apologize, but why not go to another member of staff if that was the case? There are several of us, and helping the users and each other is our job.

18. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You can ask around I have vented about this to most of the staff.

This isn't going to go anywhere so I am not going to bother with the power thing anymore.

As for the respect thing you can't be that blind. There is a huge lack of respect for what we do.

19. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

I've not heard of the issue, nor has some of the other staff members I've just spoken to. ._.

Look, you are totally welcome to fill out an application if you want the same powers as a sectional moderator - hell, if you're that interested in it, I'd encourage you to.

I respect what you guys do, I know it's not something I'd do or have the time to learn. And I think that's true for most, if not all, the other staff members.

20. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I am not saying that you don't. You very well may respect us but actions speak louder than words. If I actually felt this stuff then I wouldn't be talking about it right now but obviously that isn't the case.

As for me going for sectional mod I really don't know. The stress and stuff I get from the site right after I came back from a serious operation (to put it lightly) is total BS. There is no other way to put it and I doubt anything will change respect wise or with stress if I go for it.

I shouldn't have to feel like this and I sure as hell hope no one in the future will have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.