No Thanks Coders get more power

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Firekeyblade, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarutoSuperKubii Chaser

I think Coders should be able to do give warnings and infractions I support it, or at least be able to mod the Kingdom Hearts part of the Video Warehouse since most of it if not all of it for the past month or 2 I dunno has been codes or emulators.

2. P Banned

Coders moderate a section. Sectional Moderaters moderate a section. The moderation required the Coders' section is not substantially different to the moderation required for the Sectional Moderators' sections. Therefore, Coders should be given the same abilities as a Sectional Moderator.

To argue that Coders don't require this power to perform their duties would be a Fallacy of Special Pleading, because there is no distinction between the duties of a Coder and the duties of a Sectional Moderator. To argue against giving Coders power, one must differentiate between Coders and Sectional Mods by proving that Coders do not require the power, while Sectional Moderators do.

3. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

I guess I'll break down the issue here. Coders were originally created to run what was once one of the most busiest sections of this site (still is to a degree I suppose), and let them do their own thing. Though they are considered staff, they weren't interviewed... solely chosen and trusted to run that particular section and nothing else, never to be promoted or otherwise. That of course would mean less power than a sectional moderator. Now we got maybe 3-4 active coders, I demoted quite a few of them not too long ago after months of them not posting/logging in. The problem with warnings is that a mod can give a warning anywhere (and a coder would too if it were enabled) which brings me back to the "reduced power" of a coder. The requirements for a coder and a sectional moderator are also different, which is why we need to interview sectional moderators to make sure they have those skills we're looking for.

Point I'm trying to make is, if we were to give coders the same powers and permissions as a moderator, why even keep the coder group? I mean if we did that it would make more sense to just interview the remaining coders and make them mods with just that section. Hope you see what I'm getting at here.

As for the invisible member thing, I agree that's silly and I can enable that.

4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Coders need to know stuff about hacking which sectional mods don't.

5. Yozora Archer

Im against this.

Coders are there to post codes in the Code Vault, right? If there's any trouble, they can just "kindly" ask the one responsible for the trouble to stop. If that doesn't work, they could always link em to the rules of the section and explain to them what they are doing wrong. I don't know why you were so pissed off at this person, Lux, but it's just one. (And suuure, there can be more. Lol) Maybe if they are given a few extra powers. I don't see why being able to see invisible members would be a big deal. Heck, aren't words more powerful? If some idiot doesn't listen to em, it's his/her fault.

I don't want to sound like a ******bag, but Coders are there to post codes, right? I don't really see what the big deal for having more powers is. (Keep in mind that I haven't been talking with you guys lol. Just speaking out my thoughts.)

And also, if Sara had a reason, it must've been a good one, right?

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

All of the other coders and people who go in the code vault will agree with me on this one. They don't listen to words and they do not read rules or follow them. Why do you think I had to delete so many threads?

7. NarutoSuperKubii Chaser

I agree with this one if you look on the pages there are so many threads that are closed some aren't even closed yet with codes like "can i get some kh2 ntsc u/c codes please"

8. Firekeyblade Hollow Bastion Committee

BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU'LL NEVER FIND OUT!
    This would be good.

9. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Have you tried going to another staff member though? We'll talk to them if you need us to, there's nothing wrong with that.
    But that could eliminate people that would could be good Coders, but not sec mods.

10. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I would honestly be sending you guys messages every week several times.

11. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

Wait after you get more power? You can't do it now? I don't understand.
    Right now, I'm like on the fence to let you guys have more power. After one event... you just need to calm down. What that member said.. they are gone now... so now it's time to relax. Plus, giving warning and infractions isn't like the go to solution. You either try to deal with them, yourself OR you have other people to help you out

12. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

But wouldn't that be diminishing a coder's authority even more? That's just telling the members that they don't have to worry about the coders because they don't have authority to get them in trouble. They can only get the actual staff to do something about it...which any member at all could do.

I'm pretty sure he means if he didn't get the power and got staff everytime there was a problem.
    But what if that still doesn't remedy the problem? I mean, you guys may give minimal warnings/infractions, but you still give them out. It's not something that's never used.

Or we could keep staff separated into the two staff categories we have now: Coders...and real staff.

As Luxord said earlier, a Coder needs to be able to code really well which is a skill other staff don't need to have.

13. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I always thought they had the same powers as sec. mods. I wasn't aware that they didn't. They mod and keep their section in order just like sectional mods do. I do beilive that they deserve the same powers that the sectional mods do.
    That's my opinion on this matter anyway...

14. P Banned

Reasonable. A difference between Sectional Moderators and Coders has been established. Sectional Moderators are interviewed. Coders are not.

Logically following through. If Coders are not interviewed, then they should not have the same power as a Sectional Moderator.

I'm curious as to what these differences are. The Code Vault is a section just like any other, so I would assume that it requires the same degree of moderation as any other section. As before, a difference between the Code Vault and the other sections should be established, otherwise it's a Fallacy of Special Pleading.

For a long time, I was under the impression that this was already established. Coders are under the Sectional Moderator area on the Forum Leaders page. I thought that the username was simply to make it easier to differentiate between Coders and Moderators for the members.

A Coder posts codes and moderates the section. Ordinary members are still able to post codes. Therefore the difference between a Coder and a normal member is that the Coder moderates the Code Vault. If someone is unable to pass the Staff interview, they should not be given any Staff powers. Deletion of posts and verbal warnings should not be powers given to those who have not been confirmed to act responsibly. Ordinary members can still post codes, even if they are unable to pass the interview.

I suggest instating the interview process for Coders, and given them full Sectional Moderator abilities. The duty they perform is the same as the Sectional Moderator, so they should have the same powers. Likewise, they should have the same checks put in place as the Sectional Moderators do with the interview.

I sufficiently covered this in my post here.

Possibly. Her reason could have only applied back then, or there could be a better way of handling it. Either way, I'd feel far more confident putting my faith in presented arguments by the current members/staff, instead of unstated arguments by staff of years ago.

15. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

The only reason for that is because the forum leaders page thinks that as long as they have at least one section, they are a moderator. It does it with the reporters too. If I knew how to fix that I would.

16. P Banned

Yeah. I'm putting forward the idea of following the setup of Coders being Sectional Moderators AND Coders. (As the Forum Leaders page already seems to believe.)

17. Misty gimme kiss

Basically, the distinction we have made right now is that Sectional Moderators must apply and be interviewed; Coders need only apply. While that may seem like an arbitrary way of dividing it to some, the interview process lets us know how the applicant would react to situations and lets us form an idea of whether or not we can trust them to have access to everything that they are given access to.The privileges and duties given to Sectional Moderators have a weight to them that requires we take more precaution in hiring them, hence why Coders are not also interviewed; that's not to demean anything Coders do, I truly do value all of your hard work and it is just as important a job as a Sectional Moderator's, or any of ours, for that matter. I dislike ranking people, imo we're all simply 'staff' and have different duties.

The duty of Coders is to create codes and to keep The Code Vault tidy. The duty of a Sectional Moderator is different, and is kind of difficult to explain--while yes, they do not make codes, they do a lot of other things, in addition to moderating duties. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes, guys. =]

The demands being made in this thread would make Coders equivalent to Sectional Moderators, as everyone has said. If any Coder is interested in that, they are free to apply for and interview for the Sectional Moderator position, as of now, and would be allowed to continue doing the Coder's duties as well as having full Sectional Moderator powers. If they do not pass the application and interview process for a Sectional Moderator, they can remain a Coder. But they may not petition for privileges that they failed to earn of their own accord; they have the duties of a Coder, not the duties of a Sectional Moderator, and thus have the powers of a Coder, not the powers of a Sectional Moderator.

I'll leave this thread open should anyone have anything to add to the table (or anything I missed, haha), but this is the staff's decision and is final.

18. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

And yet though, there are Sectional Mods themselves who have agreed earlier in this thread that Coders should have more power. :/
    Just saying.

I have a few other thoughts and responses to add to this. But...
    Not being funny, but if it's the Staff's decision, and it's final... is there actually any point in adding anything else to the table anyway?
    If there isn't even the slightest possibility that they may inflict a change?

19. P Banned

The Code Vault needs a regular moderator. It is too large and too infrequently visited to be monitored by the S-Mods as the Spamzone has been in the past.

For example, the following sections of the Code Vault rules promise infractions and the like, however the Coders are unable to give them out.

(Emphasis mine.)

Also, you speak of differing duties between Sectional Moderators and Coders here:

What is the difference between their duties? I was under the impression that Coders looked after their section (the Code Vault), as Sectional Moderators look after theirs, in addition to posting codes. To me, it appears that the duty of 'sectional moderator' for the Code Vault falls upon the Coders. What duties do the Sectional Moderators have that the Coders do not?

That aside, I hold true to the idea that Coders need access to infractions and the like, to sufficiently manage the Code Vault. This could take the form of a single Sec-Mod-Coder. But it should be someone with an active interest in coding and the Code Vault, for as has been established for a long while, the rest of staff don't visit or deal with the Code Vault on a regular basis, when ideally, the one handing out code-related infractions should be strongly familiar with the Code Vault and its rules.

20. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Coders won't be using infractions often it's been good so far, if someone is causing trouble then it's just like normal members they contact someone who can do more. It's not like that area is a spam hole anyways. I dunno to me it's not a big difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.