Church cancels Memorial for Gay Navy vet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Laurence_Fox, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

From Yahoo News.

Do you think this is right for the Church to cancel the service just because of the Veteran's sexual orientation? That his years of service to his country should be thrown out the window just because of his sexual preference?

I personally don't think this is right that the memorial should be denied. He served his country and ultimately gave his life for it. He earned that memorial and the cancellation just seems like the Church is slapping the family in the face canceling it the DAY OF.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

It's far from right. I lost respect for those who say otherwise.

Huh. Cancelling a memorial for a Veteran because he's gay. That's pretty damn low in my eyes.

Damn, people like that PISS ME OFF.

3. Mirai King's Apprentice

It kinda puts it into perspective.

The church cares more about who you sleep with than how much you help.

4. FUZZY SWEATER Hollow Bastion Committee

totally
    "ew hes gay
    just bury him
    he doesnt need a funeral"

5. Gravity Chaser

He's a veteran, for God's sake! Can't they show respect for someone who put their life in danger to protect everyone?

That's absolutely disgusting to me. Who cares if he's gay? At least he's happy! Why does a church, of all places, have to be so cruel to someone who has passed on? Just because they held the ceremony doesn't mean that they had to support the idea.

6. RoxasNoxas Hollow Bastion Committee

Koneko, who cares if he's happy? I hate hearing this from people: Oh, I don't care about homosexuals. They should be together as long as they're happy.

Who cares about happiness? That's not the point why we homosexuals are homosexual. It's much more than happiness.

As for the topic, this is very wrong! I'm a gay christian, and I believe that any sin is equal in the eyes of God. So what if he's gay? He's equal to everyone else in that church because everyone who goes to that church sins. They're equal in their iniquities.

7. Repliku Chaser

It's disappointing because according to the Bible everyone is a 'sinner' in the first place and Jesus died for the sins of mankind. However, being gay in old times was a crime punishable by death. Fortunately, that is not possible nowadays as Church policy doesn't hold true for government policy. I would have hoped the family perhaps could have gotten a military chaplain to do the service instead, but at least they could get the funeral performed in a funeral home. Discrimination happens and funerals aren't just about the death of the person. They are about the family and friends who cope with the loss too. They are really the true sufferers of the bias.

8. Soku Hollow Bastion Committee

Wow, that is just sad, and for some odd reason, i'm not suprised a church would say that. It just bothers me that, after all that man has done, he can't be respected enough to get a proper funeral.

9. Ratchet Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

I think that this is disgusting. The man served his country and protected the people, including the church that has insulted his memory. Perhaps these short-sighted people should realise that if it wasn't for brave souls like him they wouldn't have the freedom to be there in the first place. It seems that it is ok for him to fight to protect them but not ok for him to be honoured for his actions. The church is getting more left behind in it's thinking and this is why it is losing members and the respect of communities. To have cancelled on the day of the funeral is the lowest thing they could have done. This causes more stress and grief. The only real sin here is the ignorance and lack of respect to not only the veteran but his family of a church that is showing how cold and out of touch it is becoming. Isn't God supposed to forgive anyway even if they believe he has sinned? This shows that the church is not as forgiving and supportive as it claims to be. It should be totally ashamed of it's behavior.

10. Soku Hollow Bastion Committee

I agree Gharanth, but like I said, I'm not suprised they would do something like that.

11. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

Agreed.

Who the hell thought a CHURCH would be the one to do something like that?

12. FUZZY SWEATER Hollow Bastion Committee

totally
    i thought god loved EVERYONE?

13. Mirai King's Apprentice

Hate to break it to ya, but I don't see how letting someone be punished for all eternity for having a diffirent viewpoint constitutes as "love." Ofcourse, many Christians believe that God doesn't give a crap about what you believe. All ya gotta do is live a good life.

Also, Jesus threw out Leviticus, so homosexuality is NOT a sin according to the Bible.

14. RoxasNoxas Hollow Bastion Committee

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    God doesn't send people to hell because of their viewpoints, but because of the sins people have commited.

Romans 3:23 says: For the wages of sin is death...

But with Jesus- he forgives your sins.

15. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

^ Or he's supposed to. When it comes to homosexuality apparently, it's something even Jesus can't forgive.

What the hell...

16. RikuisthehottestdudeinKH2 Destiny Islands Resident

THAT IS THE RUDEST THING ANYONE HAS EVER DONE!!!! i am outraged!!!!! he's was a war veteran!!! He served in the Gulf war, like my uncle!!!!!! And to call the funeral off just because he's gay?!?! everyone is gods children, regardless of their love interested!! I mean, call off something just because they're gay?! that is byfar the most rudest thing anyone has done. He helped his country. and to say "oh, i'm not doing this just because he's so and so," that's just... i can't think of a word for it!!!

17. RoxasNoxas Hollow Bastion Committee

No. Jesus does forgives homosexuality. He forgives any sin that is confessed to him. This church was just ingnorant.

18. Mirai King's Apprentice

According to the Bible, no belief in God = BURN!!!!

I posted some verses on my old topic on salvation, but it's in the old server.

19. RoxasNoxas Hollow Bastion Committee

It's not just no belief in God=burn, it's Sin=Burn. Knowing Jesus Christ in a personal relationship=Saved

20. Mirai King's Apprentice

So, what you're saying is, we are dirty through no fault of our own, and Jesus cleanses us? Why can't a GOOD person who doesn't believe in God go to Heaven?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.