Children's Literature

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LARiA, Feb 5, 2014.

1. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

A thread dedicated to childhood classics of ere.

Did your parents read to you when you were a wee mite, and if so-- which books did they read to you? Have any of them stuck with you well past adolescence? Do you enjoy reading children's lit even now? Got any favorites?

My favorite children's novels:
    The Secret Garden
    Peter Pan
    The Velveteen Rabbit
    The Little Prince
    Island of the Blue Dolphins
    The Tale of Despereaux
    Because of Winn-Dixie
    Charlotte's Web
    The Mennyms
    Tuck Everlasting
    A Dog's Life

2. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I loved Roal Dahl books like George's marvelous medicine, The Giraffe, the Pelly and me, and The Enormous crocodile. I do love to go back and read them, The Giraffe, the Pelly and me was the first book I remember managing to read completely with minimal struggle so it will always have a special place in my heart.

I didn't read Harry Potter, or that many books as a child except the Jimmy McCue books were just epic when I was about 10. The Toilet of Doom was so amazing and the sad thing is I don't even remember exactly what it's about. I still own the books and will probably pass them onto my kids.

I did hand over a large portion of my childhood books to the kids that I babysit and sometimes I get to read them to them before they go to sleep which is so nice because of the nostalgia it brings me.

3. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I read all the Ramona Quimby books growing up. Actually, I read anything Beverly Cleary when I was young. And Judy Blume, because Fudge reminded me so much of my little brother when I was growing up.

Half tempted to mention picture books too.

4. Ghost King's Apprentice

Oh I remember when I used to read Charlotte's Web all the time. We even did a small 10 minute play for it in second grade. Then I discovered the there were more books by that author. I ended up reading The Trumpet of the Swan, which I'm pretty sure It's still the book that I've read the most times.

I also got into Cam Jansen and The Magic Tree House. Those we like the only books I read my second year of elementry school. Man, now I'm gonna have to go to the bookstore and by these books so I can reread them again. I think these were the only books I didn't mind reading more than once. With the books I read now I can't get myself to reread them again.

On a completely unrelated note, it looks like the Literature Section is getting rolling again.

5. Patman Bof

Although I barely read any book anymore I' ve read thousands of them when I was young. Those that really stuck with me from when I was a kid are those written by Roald Dahl and Tolkien. And Lord of the Flies. One of my sisters never got big on reading (SHE LOST MY COPY OF THE HOBBIT GODDAM IT !!!) but she made an exception for Roald Dahl.

As for my teenage years I mainly remember Stephen King, Isac Asimov and Agatha Christie. When I got bored of dear Agatha my dad suggested San-Antonio, I' ve read over a hundred of those (not exactly PG 13 nor translation-friendly, but outright hilarious).