No Thanks Chatbox?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by woodstockfootball26, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P Banned

I'm very disappointed in you, Chris. You've failed me. You only put one exclamation mark for the second sentence in the fourth point. A person of my grandeur deserves at least two, if not three.

Seriously though, the cons have the same theme running throughout. However each point presents it in different ways, with different supporting evidence. You could do much the same comical parody to the Pro side too, if it suited your agenda.

Can you elaborate on why the current one is terrible? So far you've mentioned that it 'looks ugly' and reminds you of 'that horrid, absolutely god-awful facebook chat'. What are the current problems that you see, and will waiting fix them? The designer intent was to make it look similar to the FB chat, so it's unlikely that that aspect is going to change.

I believe that we should rush into trialling it now, on the basis that if it fails due to glitches (which doesn't appear to be the case from the demo), we can retry it at a later date anyway. There's also the option of an admin could do a brief sweep for glitches before making it publicly tested. Alternatively, it'll work as intended, and we can then make a valid judgement on whether we want it.

I'll answer you all night, Chris mah boi. ;)

EDIT: Actually, you've kept me up long enough already. Doing this with you is fun, but I need sleep, my dearest.

2. C This silence is mine

Oh darn, all my plans were foiled! D: How could I forget not to put a second exclamation point? Darn. Also, I always thought three looked more serious than two xD

Of course I could, but the controversial comedy is only fun to do when it helps me, y'know?

Why it's a bad chat? Well my main concern really is that it's slow and clunky, it usually takes a bit of time for the messages to show up, it looks big and out of place, I know I said I didn't like the (old) facebook chat, but at least that looked a bit smoother. You said that there might be better ways of moderating later on which, considering what the history is between this forum and chatrooms, might be a very good idea. Why rush into buying an unfinished product? Leik, the people who bought an 3DS the moment it came out, because 3D is the best gimmick ever, only to have it cost half the price a bit later. Smart people wait. I'm actually not completely sure where I'm currently going with this, but yeah, why not wait until all the kinks have been worked out? We don't lose anything in waiting a bit.

Closing thoughts: I say we just ban P and never look back.

I swear to you, this isn't over, not by a long shot! Every day I shall stand on the balcony awaiting your ultimate return.

3. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

I believe the speed that the messages go through depends on the server and differ on every site.
    And also I'm sure misty and co. could make it look prettier than the default- change sizes colours fonts etc.

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Or I could; that is just the kind of thing that I wasted my time on back in the day. But I have never worked on vBulletin, sadly.

5. P Banned

Kubo is correct. As stated in the first post, the demo "has a poor response-rate. This can be adjusted by the admin." It's a built-in feature. Similarly, the CSS sheet can be altered for appearance if someone has the time.

Whether or not we get better moderation, or even whether we -need- that moderation, is an unknown. Currently, Chat Staff can be defined — in the pro version. Any newer features could be limited to there too. A trial run is good for deciding whether better moderation is required.

The 3DS analogy isn't relevant, because the 3DS cost money. In this case, the analogy would be: we can get a free 3DS at launch, when there are few decent games, or we can wait for a while, and get a free 3DS later, when better games are released. We lose nothing in trying the free launch games, just as we lose nothing trying the free chat.

We lose the time we wait for it. It's inherently less desirable than the option of getting it now. The question asked should be, "What do we lose from going for it now?"

(If the answer to that question is "the plugin's one and only shot at a trial run", I'd be tempted to wait.)

I want to link to a homoerotic webcomic so badly, but I have a feeling it'd get me banned.

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

http://www.fashionstinks.com/c/yup_tshirt-p235694871318374159qizb_400.jpg

Anyway, I do support the idea of installing the chat, but I'd rather wait until new features come on as well. If we're going with a Nintendo analogy here, you can think of this as like, Pokemon D/P/Pt. Consider Platinum as the chat post a few fixes: it would be the same thing, much like D/P was, but it would also have fixed glitches and certain things may get added to it later on.

From my plummy point of view, the main question is is would I get something that I knew wasn't up to par (D/P) as a future re-release/fix of it (Platinum)?

Imo, it would be wiser to wait for the version with more fixes, rather than just try out a version with a bunch of bugs, as the future one will be the same thing but with fixes.

and who would seriously want to play D/P over Platinum?

7. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I agree with all of this.
    As I said, the great thing about trials is, that is what they are.
    If there are problems it can be removed just as easily.
    I'd like to suggest a double thing. Although, I don't mind in the long run of waiting anyway.
    As long as it really is just a 'waiting for a while' thing, and not a 'let us hope they forget about it while we wait' thing.
    lol

You get banned?
    I just can't see it happening.. XD

8. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

I think I've seen enough posts saying bunch of bugs, many bugs, tons of bugs, lots of bugs etc. Chill, it ain't a piece of crap- it's a decent piece of software. In fact previous bugs have already been fixed, and the existing ones have not been noted on all sites that are using it anyways.

9. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

This question might have been answered already...

But have we come to a conclusion yet?

If so, then do we have a deadline to add the software?

When will it be put to use? (If we come to terms, that is.)

10. P Banned

I talked to the creator of the plugin and asked him a few questions that will probably help people decide on whether we want to trial now or later.

Key points
    • New release out in the next week.
    • Will contain 'very intuitive' reporting system.
    • Will contain the option to limit the main chat by Usergroup.
    • The Usergroup settings will allow for the main chat to be turned off entirely.
    • The Usergroup settings will definitely be in the Lite version, but the reporting feature is undecided.
    • There is no direct log viewer currently.

While I was for trialling immediately, seeing as we're on the cusp of a new release, which will have features that are vital, I now believe that we would be better off waiting and instead revisiting it in a couple of weeks time.

11. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

In light of this new information, I have to agree.
    It makes sense this way anyway.

12. C This silence is mine

See P? I was right!

and about the 3DS analogy... it wasn't actually made to be all that logical, I just like taking stabs at Nintendo :3

13. Misty gimme kiss

Sticking by what we said about waiting a little while, even more so with P's last post. This is different from AutoPM, though, because the developers for the chat seem very dedicated and are responding & fixing bugs very quickly. AutoPM was, and still is, basically abandoned by the creator. I hesitate to give you guys an exact date at the moment but I will chat with the rest of the staff and see if we can come up with something.

And it can be styled through CSS & StyleVars, I don't know the extent as I haven't used it myself, but I'm sure that I could make it less clunky & generally more pleasing to the eye. Have some faith in my styling abilities gaiz. ;D

14. sora awsome11/10 Traverse Town Homebody

why don't cha guys just get comet chat?

15. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Cometchat sucks. The best alternative is arrowchat.

16. sora awsome11/10 Traverse Town Homebody

don't you have to pay to use arrowchat? i don't want to pay money for chating with ppl >.>

17. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Cometchat is not free. Same goes with arrowchat. But the users don't have to pay to use either.

18. P Banned

It updated. The reporting system has not appeared yet, but the access to the chatroom can now be limited by Usergroup. In turn, this means that the chatroom can be disabled entirely, leaving only the user-to-user chat (which members can also be banned from, if necessary).

Shall we put off installing it for a while longer, in the hope that even more features, such as reporting and bugfixes, come out, or would it be preferable to see how it fares now? If we do decide to wait, what features are we waiting for?

19. wajasrule10 Moogle Assistant

Suggestion

I think that a good idea would be, A kh chat room. Where users can mkae "Threads", "Topics" Or things that people can talk about. So there would be, for example "KH Chit Chat. Where people could live IM on the site. And things like that.

Wajasrule10

20. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.