Television CBS: Supergirl

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Boy Wonder, May 13, 2015.

1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Created by writer/producers Greg Berlanti, Ali Adler, and Andrew Kreisberg and based on DC Comics' Superman's cousin. It already has a series commitment and will debut November.

Premise:
    The main cast consists of Melissa Benoist as Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers (Malina Weissman will play a young Kara, Mehcard Brooks as Jimmy Olsen, Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant (Kara will be her assistant for her day job), David Harewood as Hank Henshaw (woo) as the head of Department of Extra-Normal Operations (hope they bring in Mr. Bones somehow), and Chyler Leigh as Alex Danvers (Kara's foster sister who is a doctor and works for the DEO).

Laura Benanti will play Alura Zor-El, Kara's birth mother.
    Jeremy Jordan as Winslow "Winn" Schott, Faran Tahir as The COmmander, Owain Yeoman as Vartox. Helen Slater (Supergirl from the 1984 film) and Dean Cain (Superman from Lois and Clark) have also been cast in undisclosed role.

2. 61 No. B

"My name is..."

oh god not another one

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

It's Berlanti and Kreisberg so I'm not too surprised, but I'm hoping that it doesn't stick after the pilot.
    It looks like it's going a lot more towards the teen drama than personal tragedy story like Arrow and Flash.

4. 61 No. B

Certainly. Before N52 I would have said that's the obvious decision, but given N52's Supergirl (which was one of the best things they had going early on), something closer to Arrow and Flash feels just as appropriate. However, I don't think we need more of that, so the lighter tone is appreciated. There's not much I'm seeing here that immediately turns me off to it, but I do have some reservations I can't quite identify that make me not as on board with a Supergirl show as I would like to be. We'll see.

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...I like the look of it... ._.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

This looks exactly like what I don't ever want to watch.

7. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

When I first saw it I thought it was a Joke, It looks like a rip off of the Black Widow "age of me" from SNL!
    If I had to describe it would be Devil wears prada meets smallville.
    It seemed to me to stereotypical and bad towards women, but my bride watched and loved it, so I guess they did a good job for their target audience and I was too nitpicking.
    Hope for the best even though i didn't like one bit.

8. 61 No. B

demographic is a big question mark with this show. it seems like they're making it for an audience that might not be interested, and by methods that are alienating to a lot of the people who were eagerly awaiting this show (like myself) and other comicbook fans with a casual interest in Supergirl. The one unanimous positive I've seen so far is that the leading actress seems great and I totally agree with that.

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The problem with comparing this trailer to the SNL Black Widow trailer is that Natasha is so obviously a character where such a plot would be insulting to her character, her abilities, her development. Kara, on the other hand, is the happy-go-lucky kind of gal where this plot can be okay. Also of note is that Natasha's spy skills were completely tangential in the SNL trailer, all but ignoring them in the favor of the rom-com plot; the trailer for Supergirl shows that Kara can be sweet and loving and also badass in equal measures.

10. Arch Mana Knight

So I finally saw the first episode and...

It seemed pretty disappointing. A few things about Supergirl herself seemed to be wrong. She didn't need to get stuck in a Phantom Zone to explain why she's younger than Superman. Just taking a longer journey through space would account for that due to General Relativity(she would age much slower by simply being in space while Supes is on Earth). The pacing of the show felt pretty strange. It was just hopping from one set piece to the next like a checklist of things to do in order to set up the story for the season.

Kara herself seems fun and interesting with all her time making comparisons to her cousin and, being a huge Superman fan, I found that the best part of the show. She has his powers but even so she, and everyone else, still revere Superman as basically a god. Maybe if the show keeps focusing on the fact that she has to step out of Superman's shadow to be more than just "that other Kryptonian" it'll make for a more interesting show. If the first episode was the last we'll see to the Superman comparisons then...well that'll be very disappointing.

tl;dr: The show's okay. I guess.

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Supergirl has been renewed for a second season! The show will be switching channels from CBS to The CW, and will film in Vancouver instead of Los Angeles to keep costs down. Fortunately, Calista Flockhart will be staying on despite the move, as she doesn't usually like filming outside of LA.

12. Ghost King's Apprentice

Hopefully this means we'll get more frequent crossovers between Super-girl and the other DC series. I would like to see a crossover event with all three of them (maybe vixen, too).

13. The Enigmatic Superior Traverse Town Homebody

14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I like how much screentime Vixen got in the trailer--possibly a sign of things to come? We know a second season of the animated miniseries is coming this year, but could we be getting more of her in live-action?

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Season 2 will finally show us Clark Kent/Superman, being played by Tyler Hoechlin (Teen Wolf, 7th Heaven). Here are a couple set pictures that aren't the awful-looking announcement picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Also coming to season 2:
    • A two-part musical crossover with The Flash later in the season
    • Sharon Leal (Dreamgirls, Grimm) as Miss Martian
    • Chris Wood (The Vampire Diaries, Containment) as Mon-El, who will be a series regular making his debut in the season opener
    • An episode directed by Kevin Smith, who recently directed acclaimed The Flash episode "The Runaway Dinosaur"
    source