Card Fight Vanguard Arena

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

Doing this as a request for a friend. I do not know the rules though so I will be unable to participate.

Welcome and have fun everyone. Rule list coming soon.

2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I'll try to give this a try when you manage to make it work. I've seen the show, and some of the rules are explained there, but it's a tough game to get, because of all the abilities. Hope you manage to understand it, because I'd need a real rule book to get how to play the game. Reading online is somewhat difficult with all the different stuff

3. Rafael Yuki Merlin's Housekeeper

Only Real Mans plays Yugioh

4. Lyris1026 Moogle Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to make this, Yuki Judai. ;) I'll write up an example fight for everyone's information. Please be patient, as I have school and other stuff in real life.
    In the case of Link Joker or Reverse, locked cards use this image: http://i.imgur.com/64vDiRC.jpg?2

5. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

Yes this will definitely need to be a staple rule. And you are very welcome.

6. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

I don't know how to play this, but i'd certainly be interested in learning

7. Lyris1026 Moogle Assistant

Here's the sample fight! This is just a 2-turn preview; this fight is a sample, after all.
    Key:
    --Next Post-- : Next player would post at this point.
    --[[Multi-line Comment]]--
    ---
    You go first. Stand up, Vanguard! Advance Party Brave Shooter!
    [​IMG]
    --Next Post--
    Stand Up, Vanguard! Bubble Edge Dracokid!
    [​IMG]
    Stand Phase
    ----
    N/A

Draw Phase
    ----
    I'll go first, draw! (Hand: 6)

Ride Phase
    ----
    I ride Tear Knight, Cyprus!
    [​IMG]
    Bubble Edge's skill moves it behind him.

Main Phase
    ----
    N/A

End Phase
    ----
    Turn end.
    Field:
    empty | [​IMG] | empty
    empty | [​IMG] | empty
    Hand: 5
    --Next post--
    Stand Phase
    ----
    N/A

Draw Phase
    ----
    I draw! (Hand: 6)

Ride Phase
    ----
    I ride Tear Knight, Theo!
    [​IMG]
    Brave Shooter's skill moves it back.

Then I call Battle Siren, Dorothea behind Theo, and Shortstop Brave Shooter!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Battle Phase
    ----
    Theo attacks your vanguard!
    --Next Post--
    I don't guard.
    --Next Post--
    Drive Check...
    --[[Call 2 numbers and roll a 6-sided die once (one more if your vanguard has twin drive!!); for each you called incorrectly, no trigger and roll a 6-sided die: 1/4 Grade 3 2/5 Grade 1 3/6 Grade 1 | Each correctly called, roll a 6-sided die once: 1 Critical Trigger, 2 Draw Trigger, 3 Heal Trigger, 4 Stand Trigger, 5/6 roll again]]--
    [​IMG]
    No trigger.
    --Next Post--
    --[[Call 2 numbers and roll a 6-sided die once for each critical on the attacking unit: If you called incorrectly, no trigger and roll a 6-sided die: 1/4 Grade 3 2/5 Grade 1 3/6 Grade 1 | called correctly, roll a 6-sided die once: 1 Critical Trigger, 2 Draw Trigger, 3 Heal Trigger, 4 Stand Trigger, 5/6 roll again]]--
    Damage check:
    [​IMG]
    No Trigger.
    --Next Post--
    End Phase
    ----
    Turn end.
    Field:
    empty | [​IMG] | [​IMG]
    empty | [​IMG] | [​IMG]
    Hand: 4
    (To be continued)

8. StardustXtreme Chaser

This will also help out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now, the Triggers.
    Trigger Effects

(Note: All +5000 Power boosts from triggers only last for the current turn. This also applies to the +1 Critical effect from a Critical Trigger.)
    • [​IMG] Draw Trigger
    When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000 Power, and draw 1 card. Draw the card immediately after the Trigger is revealed (before your next trigger check, in case of Twin Drive or more than 1 Damage).
    • [​IMG] Critical Trigger
    When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000 Power, and select 1 of your own again and it gains +1 Critical. Power and Critical gains may be applied to different units.
    • [​IMG] Heal Trigger
    When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000. When the damage you've received before the Heal Trigger is equal or more than your opponent's, you can put one card in your Damage Zone into your Drop Zone.(You cannot put more than 4 Heal Triggers in a deck.)
    • [​IMG]Trigger
    When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000. Then choose a Rear-Guard Unit and restand it.
    Notes:
    1. For trigger effect to activate, you must have at least 1 unit that is of the same clan on the field as the trigger unit.
    2. You must choose which unit of yours to receive the trigger boost before checking for the next trigger (in multiple trigger checks, e.g. Twin Drive!! effect).
    3. Trigger effects are compulsory to activate.
    Next is Skill Effects:
    • [​IMG]Boost
    Grade 0 and 1 Units have this ability. When declaring an attack with a Unit and a Grade 0 or 1 Unit is behind the attacking Unit, you may put the Unit to Rest and add its power to the attacker (only last for that battle).
    • [​IMG] Intercept
    Grade 2 Units have this ability. While one of your Units are being attacked and a Grade 2 is in a front-row Rearguard circle, this Unit can move to the Guardian Zone and become its Guardian. Afterwards its treated as if it was Called as a Guardian.
    Another type of Intercept is a S Special Intercept. This is a Unit skill which increases the Unit's Shield value if a Unit in the Vanguard Circle is from a certain Clan; for example Knight of Truth, Gordon or Dragon Knight, Berger.
    • [​IMG] Twin Drive!!
    Grade 3 Vanguards have this ability. When you attack with your Vanguard you can Drive Check two times.

Unit Abilities Next~
    • [​IMG] Automatic Ability:
    This ability takes effect whenever a specific condition or timing is met. The condition or timing is written as "When ~" or "At ~".
    • [​IMG] Activate Ability:
    This ability can be used during your Main phase, once the conditions are met and you are able to pay the costs in [?]. This ability can be used repeatedly during the same Main phase as long as the cost is paid.
    • [​IMG] Continuous Ability:
    If no requirements are specified, this ability is active even in hidden places like the hand and your deck.

Paying Cost.

You pay costs by flipping (x) cards from the top of your your Damage Zone face down. You may not use Damage Zone abilities if you cannot flip cards in your Damage Zone face down. There are 4 different types of costs each identified by a different icon and each requires different types of costs.[1]
    Types of Costs are:

• [​IMG] Soul Blast (X):
      • Retire X cards from Soul (Send X cards from the stack under your Vanguard to the Drop Zone. You may choose the cards to send).
      • Especial Soulblast : A kind of cost with a series of any clan during your Battle Phrase.

• [​IMG] Soul Charge (X):
      • Send the top X cards of your Deck to your Soul (The stack underneath your Vanguard)
      • [Example : CEO Amaterasu's soul charge, you put it directly below CEO Amaterasu]

• [​IMG] Counter Blast (X):
      • Flip X cards from the Damage Zone face-down.
      • Especial Counterblast : A kind of cost with a series of any clan during your Main Phrase.

• Mega Blast : Retire 8 cards from Soul and Flip 5 cards from the Damage Zone face down. This is referred to as "Mega Blast" in the manga/anime.
    • Persona Blast : A community-made term which refers to an effect where an identical copy of the card needs to be discarded from your hand as part of the cost.

As for Grades, it goes from Grade 0 respectively up to Grade 1, Grade 2 and then Grade 3, your Vanguard will be slowly ascending up the levels each of your Turns should you have that cooresponding Grades ready, now the Rear guards you Call to the field must be of an equal Grade to your Vanguard or Lower.

There is also Limit Break! an ability given to most Grade 3's when you have 4 or more of damage, giving a extra advantage in your move or there's Ultimate Break, where as it's instead activated with 5 Damage, only a few Grade 3's can utilize it as it's it will be that monster's strongest form, like for Example, Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion The Blood when he rides on top of Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion, called a Cross Ride.

9. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

@Lyris: Well done. Great job. This is definitely what we need.

@StardustXtreme: Thank you. That will be very helpful to newcomers. Excellent work.

10. StardustXtreme Chaser

I'm sure you know but the decks must be fifty cards exactly with 16 Triggers, this means 4 of Stand, Heal, Critical and Draw and this also includes your Starting Vangaurd (The aforementioned Grade 0 you stand at the start)

And if you are using Japanese cards that haven't been released at all, kindly state the Card's name as well as ability it has.

I suggest starting with a Trial Deck as so to get started with no edits and the opponent also uses a Trial Deck so you can get a feel for the game.

11. SirFred131 Merlin's Housekeeper

You do not actually require four of each kind of trigger. You can have at most four heal triggers, but you can do something like four Heal and twelve Draw, or sixteen Critical if you want to. Because of this, I think each person should declare the types of each of the four results of a trigger check. For example 1 is heal, everything else is draw, or everything is critical. Heal, of course, can only take one slot as you can only have four heal triggers.

It's also worth noting that drive checks, which occur when your vanguard attacks, add the checked card to your hand. Damage checks, which occur when your vanguard is successfully attacked, send it to a damage zone where it cannot be used except as the cost for a counter blast, or through the effects of specific monsters.

Edit: Also, face-down cards in the damage zone are public knowledge, and can be checked by either player at any time.

12. Brooklyn Moogle Assistant

so.. no one mentioned how you can only have a max of four cards with the sentinel skill.. or perfect guarding cards.

13. Lyris1026 Moogle Assistant

Updated the Drive Check system on the Sample fight.
    Attacking fighter: Call 2 numbers and roll a 6-sided die once (one more if your vanguard has twin drive!!); for each you called incorrectly, no trigger and roll a 6-sided die: 1/4 Grade 3, 2/5 Grade 2, 3/6 Grade 1 | Each correctly called, roll a 6-sided die once: 1 Critical Trigger, 2 Draw Trigger, 3 Heal Trigger, 4 Stand Trigger, 5/6 roll again
    Defending fighter: Call 2 numbers and roll a 6-sided die once for each critical on the attacking unit: If you called incorrectly, no trigger and roll a 6-sided die: 1/4 Grade 3, 2/5 Grade 2, 3/6 Grade 1 | each called correctly, roll a 6-sided die once: 1 Critical Trigger, 2 Draw Trigger, 3 Heal Trigger, 4 Stand Trigger, 5/6 roll again

14. Lyris1026 Moogle Assistant

*sigh* Is this thing really dead?!