Chain of Memories Can someone explain this...?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by Rouge Angel92, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rouge Angel92 Twilight Town Denizen

Can someone tell me why Riku didn't lose his memories in the castle? Is it because the basements don't have the same effects as the floors, or is it because the Organization didn't have Namine messing with his memories. I would be very grateful to the person(s) who can help me out! ^^;;; (I sort of don't know Japanese, so I understand nothing that's said past Basement Eight.)

2. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

It's because the Org. didn't have Namine mess around with his memories.

3. Rouge Angel92 Twilight Town Denizen

thank you so much!
    seriously, it helps to know what happens in a story that you love.

4. Solid Snake Kept you waiting, huh?

Because Namine never messed with Rikus memories
    o guess he beat me to it >.<

5. Princess Celestia Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

But the castle itself messes with memories. I bet its both reasons.

6. Doukuro Chaser

because Namine was the one who made Sora lose his memories and she was being controled my Marly who didnt even know that Riku was in the castle so he did not have Namine do anything to him

7. Tai112336 Moogle Assistant

Vexen is actually cool

Because Vexen has better things to do then screw people's memories over.

8. Repliku Chaser

This is more the complete reason. Marluxia did not know about Riku being there for some time so Namine never did get ordered to mess with Riku. Marluxia pretty much had Namine lure Sora there to the Castle Oblivion after she was somewhat doing it any way and his focus was there. Riku appeared after Sora had gotten to the Castle Oblivion and in the basement.

9. Near-to-Tears Hollow Bastion Committee

Fellow Vexen fan here? *Hopes*

Anyway, they pretty much got it, it was Namine messing with Sora's memories and Riku just got dragged along by Sora's prensece I think.

10. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Here's some food for thought, since I think all of you seemed to have overlooked this.

It was emphasized many times that Sora was a target of memory manipulation because he was 'connected' to everyone (everyone who was important or had significance to the storyline). Sora's altered memories also affected the people around him. By the end of CoM and before the start of KH2, he was in the process of 'regaining' these memories, correct? His loss of memories is the very reason why Kairi blatantly *forgot* who he was when we view her early cutscenes during Roxas' Story in KH2. In fact, Yuffie and Leon also mention upon Sora's arrival at Hollow Bastion that "they suddenly all remembered him all at the same time". This 'forgetting' and 'remembering' is also obviously due to Sora losing and regaining his memories. They were affected by this too, and they're no where near as close to Sora as Riku or Kairi are.

So I tell you: Riku is connected to Sora's life just as much as Kairi is, so with Kairi losing her memories (not to mention Leon and Yuffie as well) due to Sora's altered ones, why is it that Riku's remained intact and untouched?

To be honest, I smell a plot hole. And despite some of you thinking you might actually have a compelling argument to justify this, excuse me while I remain skeptical about the possibility of being swayed.

11. Repliku Chaser

I think Riku's memory was untainted because he was 'complete' and he did end up at the Castle Oblivion as well. Sora, Donald and Goofy were all memory wiped and altered by Namine. However, Riku was not at all. As for Kairi, the reason I believe is because of Kairi being connected to Namine. When Sora lost his memories, it did affect others and Namine replaced herself in Kairi's steed. So because of Namine's powers, Kairi also probably forgot Sora but when Sora got his memories back, hers returned as well. Riku was the only one present at the Castle and also he was not split in two as Sora and Kairi were, so that's basically how I'd explain it.

Others who knew Sora were affected because they were not at the Castle Oblivion and when Sora's memories were fading, theirs of him faded too. That part is eerie and yeah, the only thing I can think of is that Namine either had that kind of power with the Castle and how it was or there's something we might find out in Coded or 358/2 Days which might explain this little plot hole. Riku was just fortunate enough I guess to have been pulled there to the Castle Oblivion. DiZ obviously remembered things too as did King Mickey.

12. Sir Charles of Monocles The Fault in Our Stars

I agree with everything up there. But Riku did have a chance to lose his memories. He just not to. If he had, all of Xehanort's Heartless would be gone. Also, he wanted to joke at Sora for sleeping instead oflooking for him.

13. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Riku...

Remember, though, that DiZ asked Riku (while in Xehanort's Heartless form) if "the holes in your memory are starting to fill in." Riku replied, "Yes...the haze is clearing." Then Diz said that "the same thing is happening to everyone who had ties with Sora." That would mean that something DID happen to his memory. I'm not sure if it meant he forgot about his identity or he forgot about his connection to Sora. Maybe when he became Xehanort's Heartless he remembered he had a connection to Sora, but he forgot what the connection was SPECIFICALLY. All he knew was that Roxas needed to be captured to wake up this guy he supposedly knew who was sleeping in the pod.

14. tc831 Destiny Islands Resident

maybe because he was to busy fighting the darkness he didnt lose memorys or did but didnt notice

15. Princess Celestia Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

But several times in KH CoM, and KH2, it states that it is the castle which stripps memories away. Why else would it have the same effect on Donald, Goofy, and even Jiminey.

I smell a plot hole...

16. Soushirei 運命の欠片

You're confusing the memories that was being referred to. Riku had the option to go into a deep sleep (possibly in a chammber as well) like Sora, Donald and Goofy were. It's a completely different issue than what's being debated here.
    Completely forgot this happened. Perhaps Riku--and even DiZ/Ansem--did lose memories regarding Sora.

What is interesting though is that if DiZ/Ansem lost his memories as well about Sora, he'd need some failsafe to ensure that even without his memories of Sora, he'd be able to orchestrate a scenario that allows him to regain these memories.

If the above is confusing, anyone who's watched Death Note can consider DiZ's plot the same as Light when he purposely gave up ownership of the Death Note (and thus his memories of owning it), but still managed to orchestrate a plan to get it back and return his memories.

Anyway, perhaps I had it figured a little incorrectly. Destiny Force's post just provided me proof that Riku did suffer from some memory failure at some point. DiZ is still a mystery, but I'll assume what I discussed just now.

17. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Thanks for agreeing with me...

You forget, Sora had never met DiZ. In short, DiZ's heart was never connected to Sora's. Hence, his memories weren't affected. That allowed DiZ to plan everything that was necessary for Riku and Namine to follow.

18. Soushirei 運命の欠片

You can't definitively say that meeting a person in the flesh is what constitutes 'connected hearts', but it's a good guess. It's a different story if DiZ didn't know Sora existed at all, but the fact that DiZ knew quite a bit about Sora and who he was; you can't disregard any sort of connection between the two of them.

19. Hero Form Hollow Bastion Committee

Connection between them? What kind of connection?

20. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

That's because DiZ is an observer. He was watching the whole thing from a distance. The only way Sora's heart would've affected him is if Sora had some memory of DiZ. In fact EVERYONE besides Namine who had ever met Sora forgot about who he was. There was still a little trace of him somewhere, but not enough to be fully remembered. Riku's memories were just fine until he transformed into Xehanort's Heartless. As soon as he cast away his true identity, he also gave up any immunity he had to Namine's memory tampering as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.