Can people change?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Fork, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

I've always wondered what your opinions are on this, and I've pondered this myself a lot actually.
    Do you think people can change who they are?

I'm not talking about minor changes here, and not physical changes either. I'm talking about a grown human being changing how the think, their behavior, most aspects of their lives and becoming a different person altogether. From experience, I don't think people can truly change, no matter how hard they try. A person will only try to adapt to their situation, and perhaps change how they act around different people. It all depends on the circumstances. I've seen a lot of people try, and lots of promises were made, but it made no difference. The only time I've seen a person change is due to a certain traumatic experience.
    Changing when growing up is a different story. To an adult though, mentally changing can be pretty hard.
    Thoughts?

2. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I think folk can change. Perhaps not completely (old habits die hard) but they can certainly change how they think and behave. From what I've seen its usually a progressive change. They'll behave/think one way and over time it can change, and some point down the line, without realising it, they could be very different. I would agree, it can be very difficult, but I've seen folk change drastically - some for the better, others for the worst - and half the time they don't realise it.

I think if you consciously wanted to change it would be very difficult but I do think its doable. It'd require a lot of will power, determination and patience. You see folk like ex-cons who have turned their lives completely around to build themselves a life.

3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

People can of course change.

We are always changing, physically, emotionally, spiritually in some degree. We are changing who we are without knowing it. Few people stay the same, life experiences both major and minor. Our memories construct who we are, our identity and our acts, as we move forward in time, we grasp more and learn and become different because of it. We are not stagnant, we move and change.

Anything can change you.

4. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

People never change. They grow into who they're meant to be.

I want to be the minority, I don't need your authority, Down with the moral majority, 'Cause I want to be the minority :P

5. Misty gimme kiss

Most definitely. I don't believe there's any kind of "point of no return," or anything predetermined "this is who I am meant to be for the rest of my days." The world is always in motion, and so are we. But those are more small changes (though they can amount to larger ones).

But big changes? Certainly. I will say it's probably a bit more difficult for adults, because they've been engrained in their lifestyle for so many years, but it's possible no matter what the person's age. So many natural life occurrences can open people's eyes to their faults and shortcomings, and I have faith that most people can and will change at that point. And if someone's life does become monotonous, I really doubt they take it laying down.

I guess it depends on the type of change we're talking about too. Lifestyle changes, manners of thinking, how we interact with others, etc. There's so many different varieties. But on the whole, I think so.

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I do think that everyone can change but I will say that people become generally more resistant to it over time. The best analogy I've heard for it is like concrete.

Kids are like the freshly laid concrete. It is very hard for them not to change with anything and everything that happens to them, but the changes are so frequent that things can be reversed in the blink of an eye.

As they grow up some its like the concrete thickening. The changes come but it isn't a constant and are generally more purposeful.

Somewhere in adulthood (this time varying from person to person the most) it is like fully set concrete. You've got everything figured out and while there is still gradual change it is really slow (like water wearing down the concrete), but there is always a chance that some major event will come in like a jackhammer and mess stuff up.

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i think people can change. of course it's something that happens slowly but if someone wants to change they can little by little. a lot of people say that changing is easy but NOT changing back is the hard part though.

8. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

No, but people can act differently. Someone is always the same person.

Like, if someone is cold and uncaring, and so they lose a friend, they'll act nice and empathetic but they haven't changed they've adapted. People are smart and everyone's a natural liar. If you meet someone in fifth grade and they're one way, they're that way five years later. But the way people act is the personality anyone who isn't close to them knows. So I guess people who aren't your best friend change. But not really.

9. Styx That's me inside your head.

I think people can change, but many folks consider themselves "changed" before they actually are. It's not to be underestimated, and often the impact of a completely new experience is needed to make a difference.

As much as I like Green Day, I don't think their sandbox anarchy should be dragged into discussions like these, at least not in this case. No offense, but any moron can blurt out a one-liner they heard five minutes ago. It doesn't really help to get your point across. Just a piece of friendly advice.

10. aiight Traverse Town Homebody

i completely agree with you. a person can 'grow up' and mature but really their core of who they are can never change. if someone was a AHOLE when they were a kid or in their teens they usually can get nicer but with my experiences you can always catch glimpses of that former AHOLE.

whoaaa what an INTELLECTUAL

11. ClawtheCyclops113 Traverse Town Homebody

people change. turn to bad or good

12. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I believe so, a few years ago I was beginning to shape into a selfish person who stepped on anyone to get what I wanted, I was becoming spoilt andI began pushing people away. But then something changed in me and I realised what a ****** I was becoming so pushed myself to be kinder and think of others more and make an effort with the people around me. I am definitely not the first person any more, I still have some selfish impulses but not to the great extent that I used to.

I believe it's harder for adults to change who they are as they are strengthening who they are all the time. They are influenced of course and what influences them could be anything.

There are also people with mental illnesses who come out of it, like a manic depressive finally being cured or someone who is so anxiety stricken eventually comnig out of it- they will be changed completely as these disorders shape who they are. Of course they are incredibly difficult to treat but not impossible.

People can change, but it's hard and they have to have the will to do so.

13. T3F Chaser

People can change, but they can't do any major changes just naturally. They need some form of external help to change a major part of themselves (hopefully for the better).

14. Shadox D. Twilight Town Denizen

Well, my girlfriend actually changed for me a lot, as an example. She stopped doing drugs and is furthering her studies in music (guitar), writing, and artsy things. So yes, people can change

15. muff monkey Twilight Town Denizen

I think people can change little things about themselves, but they will always be the same person they grew up to be. You can't change yourself completely, despite how much you possibly want to.

When you're younger, it is easier to change who you grow up to be. But I believe that there is a point where you've defined who you are, and there's really no changing that.

16. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Can people change completely? No. No they can't. On their own accord.

Though, people can pretend to change, though. A lot of people act differently than they think, but that isn't changing - that is simply putting on an act. Others can possibly make you change, but it's hard. Which leads me to the On their own accord part;

Brainwashing and Indoctrination is common practice in the world.