Boston Marathon Explosion

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Meilin Lee, Apr 15, 2013.

1. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Small update: it seems there's now 3 dead (youngest is actually 8 years old) and over 140 were injured. A friend sent me a link to an imgur album of pictures that I will not link to here, they are way NSFW and far too graphic for you youngin's, but I'll say this: that video they keep playing of the runner falling over after the first explosion is sugar coating it five times over compared to what I've been looking at.

My ex sent me a picture of himself at the finish line just a mere 20 mins. before the first one went off. He's fine, as is my roommate who's now safely at home and resting (somewhat, can't imagine much sleep is going to happen tonight). I pulled up her stats on the BAA website; she was literally in the last 2 miles of the race before they stopped her to clear the route after the explosion.

2. Sara Tea Drinker

My godmother I just found out was at the marathon. She was going to be at the finish line cheering on a friend of hers. Due to traffic and the train, she missed her friend finish and was a mile away when the bomb went off. She was really shook up, I'm glad she's okay, though saddened about what happened.

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Okay, it seems a suspect has been arrested, though no details are given other than that.

Source

4. Sara Tea Drinker

I'm sure the authorities are keeping this airtight for good reasons. There's apparently already rumors flying all over the place, I'm keeping track of it on CNN. I just hope it ends soon. Everything turns out at least semi okay.

They're talking about canceling a lot of sporting events due to this. Including the Kentucky Derby which is less than two weeks away. It's really going to hurt a lot of people if they do so, that's a huge amount of income for a racehorse owner/trainer on that one race and they can't run the horses again in the race. I would understand, though I'd be upset if it's cancelled, I watch it ever year. I hope at the most it's a delay.

Apparently the FBI said it wasn't true, there's substantial progress, but no proof. \

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/boston-blasts/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

The next international marathon, which is in London, is still going ahead. I think it will have upped security though.

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

So, this morning, on the radio, thoughts about why the Al Qaeda werent behind this were being disscussed. Apparently, it was too small of an attack.

Honestly, I'm glad people didnt suspect them right away. As much as I disagree with what they do, it's not fair that the blame is IMMEDIATELY thrown into them.

7. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

So I looked this up wondering how it went and I even looked at some pictures and it was horrific. It's not a good thing to look up if you have a faint heart. It's scary how humanity has the guts to do this sort of thing. I was shocked while watching the video of the explosions. It's truly terrifying to me how everything can go just fine and then the next minute everything becomes chaos. I don't know how to react to this honestly.

8. Patman Bof

Now I don' t agree 100% with the guy, any legislation proposed wouldn' t necessarily be bad or useless. For instance I' d be curious to hear him explain how passing tighter background checks on gun buyers would be a bad thing. Well, maybe he' d say it' s just useless, he wouldn' t be wrong in the sense that it' s currently being flushed down the toilet to Obama' s utter lack of care ... but I digress. I don' t know what you should do, but he does raise some valid points as to what you shouldn' t do.

9. Sara Tea Drinker

10. Patman Bof

11. Sara Tea Drinker

12. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Now there's a shooting at MIT (Source)

It's too early too say if there's a connection between this shooting and the suspects, but things do seem suspicious.

13. cstar stay away from my waifu

Since this hasn't been updated yet. MIT shooting unfortunately was related.

There has been this huge manhunt overnight, they found the suspects, the police had this huge shootout, resulting in one dead the other on the run. Boston is currently in a state of lockdown as they search.

They also now have the names of the suspects.

(This may explain better)

14. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Ok, I've looked up more on the suspects. Looks like they're from an area in Russia close to Chechnya, a predominately Muslim region that is trying to be independent. So, the following will be my thoughts on several things:

I truly believe the Chechnya region should be independent of Russia. They've been harassed so much by the Russians despite what they've done for Russia. For example, in WW2, the Chechens vowed to fight Hitler's invading forces to the death. But for decades, both under the USSR and the current Russian government, the Chechens have been harassed, and I think the world should do more about this issue. This happens to be one of many reasons I hate the Russian government (other reasons include too much Vladimir Putin, and supporting the a**hole of a dictator in Syria, Bashar "Dumb****" Assad). However, if these two idiots think killing innocent civilians was the way to spread the message about the plight of the Chechens, they are NOT helping one bit! Their uncle was spot on in saying that they brought shame to their family, the Chechens, and to Muslims. And as a Muslim myself, I agree 10000000%. I don't think such an act can ever be forgiven, so I hope they get this guy as soon as possible before he hurts others.

15. Sara Tea Drinker

It's sad this **** happens, coming from Doctor, I do wonder if the suspects were... Brainwashed or something else to do this by an organization. From what I heard in the shootout and the bombs, it sounds like they were trained with automatics. My mom said she watched some of it live and said it was a warzone from sound of it.

I'm not jumping to conclusions or pointing fingers, but most kids this age unless they're really off the deep end don't do **** like this. We'll just see.

16. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I really doubt it was an organization. It's just way too small of an attack. However, brainwashed by a sad loser who hates people, most likely. Who knows who've they've been talking to online. There are lots of guides online on how to make bombs that anyone can easily look it up.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

You know, instead of wasting resources on stupid things like Internet protection bills, they should be using their resources to remove things like bomb guides on the Internet.

18. Sara Tea Drinker

They already are saying that their behavior changed radically a short time ago. From NBC News Television, sorry, no link so I can't confirm it:

They were showing anti-social behavior, anger, rebellion, blame on others. Also, the older brother was gone for seven months. No one had any idea where he was. I agree with you on a petty person. My mom said the age of the suspects easily are receptive to ideas.

I salute the guy who had the guts to video tape the shoot out. He said a round went through two walls including a calender and a roommates chair.

They did go to Turkey, but I don't blame the country at all. Turkey has been strictly neutral with anything in the U.S.

19. Hiro ✩ Guardian

We went into a lockdown last week because someone was searching how to make pipe bombs. It's ****ing ridiculous.

20. Sara Tea Drinker

Having gone to Boston a lot, I'm amazed on how much of a Ghost town Boston is. I understand why, but it's amazing to watch.

Oh yeah, they call themselves the "Marathon Bombers". Sounds like they wanted to leave a big impact, I knew that was coming.