Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by venster, May 28, 2007.

1. longn4 Merlin's Housekeeper

George R.R. martin's A song of Ice and Fire series is good if you like mature fantasy

2. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

i recommend that you try the 39 clues the maze of bones, its very nice and short

3. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

1. Blankets: It's a great graphic novel. Easy to read and such a great story. The amazing artwork adds more to it.

2. Sookie Stackhouse Novels: HBO Series based True Blood on this, so it has mature content, but it's an extremely good read. If you like vampires, you may find it to be really good.

3. Zen Flesh, Zen Bones: This is more like proverbs and collection of [very] short anecdotes. It's something to really contemplate on as you read each verse. It was a required reading for one of my classes...but it's definitely worth sharing.

4. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

The Night Angel trilogy. These are such good books. They made me laugh and cry. There were times when I skipped a chapter because I couldn't bear to read what happened in them. There were chapters I read four times over because I couldn't get enough of them.

I've read this series at least five times and it was worth every page.

5. Terra254 Traverse Town Homebody

The dust bowl of the mid to late thirties
    1.Thief Lord
    2. The Uglies trilogy
    3.Maximum Ride Series
    4.Hunger Games Series

/Hasthereadingsensiblityofamiddleaschooler.

6. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I would wholeheartedly recommend Bless Me, Ultima.

If you can't speak Spanish, it will take away from the experience. Other than that though, this is a great book.
    Be warned though, it's very depressing with lots of death and suggestive content~
    inb4itcentersaroundalittlekid

7. talye05 Moogle Assistant

I would suggest,
    1) The Legend of Drizzt trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore - fantasy books about a drow (dark elf) who despises the violent ways of his race and strives to be accepted by others despite his heritage; very well-written, though there is fighting and death, for those who don't like reading about that. The first book in the trilogy is called Homeland. After the trilogy, there are more books centering around Drizzt and his companions, but this trilogy could stand alone.
    2) The Keys to the Kingdom series, by Garth Nix - also fantasy; this series consists of seven books, each centering around one of the seven days of the week, though in a reality where there is a 'House' with seven levels, and each level is commanded by a person who has dominion over their given day of the week - the first book in this series is called Mister Monday.

8. Pandatastic Flagellum Merlin's Housekeeper

I. Chaos Walking
    Sci-fi-ish, very uniquely written story of a world of Noise - where one's thoughts can be seen and heard by everyone else. Writing style is, again, very different, but don't let it bother you; the series is one of my favourite. But I must admit, the last book isn't as good as the first; still good but....

II. Bartimaeus Trilogy
    New and refreshing view on demons or spritis, as they like to be called. Very funny, in my opinion, the story is written differently depending on which character you are following. Nathaniel, an 12 year old orphan, apprenticed to a bumbling magician, and Bartimaeus, a djinn, a medium-high level type of demon.

III. The Mortal Instruments
    Eh, I'm sure you've heard enough of this one. Really awesome, just don't read past the third book. But the sequel is good. Can't wait for Clockwork Prince (Is that out yet?).

And, most people probably just watched the movie and gave up on it, but The Golden Compass was good aswell as the sequels. (At least I remember it being good; I haven't read it in a very long time.) Also The Wizard Heir was pretty good, which I believe also has a prequel.

9. Daxa~ #stalker

I've met Patrick Ness,and its funny because hes well aware that the last book is not as good as the first xD
    His voice is also amazing.
    Gah.
    Anyways,two suggestons here,will think of more~

Middlesex by Jefferey Eugenides.

I do adore that book.

Also,Stephen Kings books of short stories.
    His longer ones are good aswell,but the short ones really show how good an author he is.

10. Finn the Human Traverse Town Homebody

I would suggest:

1) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams- amazing, scifi classics, Douglas Adams is pure genius, and his satiric way of writing is brilliant, I could read his books all day.

2) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith- I read this thinking it would be odd to read, but it was awesome, it's literally Pride and Prejudice, but Seth Grahame-Smith rewrote it with a butt-kicking zombie action storyline. Needless to say, I found it hilarious.

3) The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks- Absolutely perfect, great advice to anyone who wants to protect themselves from the impending threat.

4) Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. This is a collection of short stories that he wrote, some are funny, some are downright terrifying. I recommend this to anyone that loves well-written shorts.

11. IggyRide34 Moogle Assistant

1. Pendragon
    2. Maximum Ride
    3. Eragon

12. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

1. Night Angel Trilogy
    2. Sevenwaters Trilogy
    3. The Dragon of Trelian

13. ClawtheCyclops113 Traverse Town Homebody

One book you should consider is,Death Run By jack higgins

14. NYUOtaku Moogle Assistant

1. So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane
    2. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
    3. Goddess of the Night by Lynne Ewing

15. Doc Destiny Islands Resident

Not really sure if it's been suggested but everyone should read Scott Western fields Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath trilogy. It's my favorite book this year. Let me know if you guys like it!

16. Ghost King's Apprentice

1. The Looking Glass Wars
    2. Iron Fey Series
    3. The Healing Wars
    4. The Girl Of Fire And Thorns
    5. The Seekers Series by Erin Hunter
    6. Tiger Lilly
    7.His Dark Materials Trilogy(i second this)
    8. Eon & Eona by Alison Goodman
    MORE TO COME

17. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

I would recommend The Legend of the Wandering KIng by Laura Gallego Garcia. It's beautifully written and has a very connective story across the years it takes place. Certainly is a tear-jerker and has plenty of images to work with. It's kinda similar to Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist, but both pieces are great nevertheless.

I don't read books often, so this is just what I have been exposed to and saying that I really like a book is saying a lot, hehe.

18. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes. Yes. This. This exactly. Read this and then read it again.

1. Night Angel Trilogy
    2. Seven Realms series

19. Maiden Artemis Merlin's Housekeeper

ICHI(1): The Last Apprentice series
    Ni(2): Game of Thrones
    San(3): The Hunger Games
    Shi(4): The Mortal Instruments series
    Go(5): Peter and the Starcatchers (and all in the series thereof.)

Hope you like them!( I did!)

20. Shera Wizard Merlin's Housekeeper

Eh

1. Deltora Quest >.>
    2. The Magic Thief Trilogy
    3. The 39 Clues