Book Club Session #3 - The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plums, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plums Wakanda Forever

The winner this time around was The Hobbit.

Because I know school is coming up for most (if not, all) of us, starting now (until summer vacation begins again), the discussion threads will be up for four weeks to make sure that everyone would get a chance to read.

The poll thread will continue to be up for one week like it has been.

As such, please finish the book no later than October 8th.
    I'll be opening Discussion on October 1st, though, in order to give more time for discussion.

This thread will be closed and locked on October 15th. As always, you're free to do a project if you choose to. I think I will this time around. o;

As always, have fun and happy reading!

2. Daxa~ #stalker

I am very happy now.
    I do love The Hobbit so.
    And I think I may actually do a project on this one....

3. Plums Wakanda Forever

-gentle bump-

Discussion is now open.

It will stay open until October 15th (as I know most of us are busy with school).
    Ideally you should have the book finished by next Saturday (October 8th), so keep flipping those pages. c:

Projects, as always, are welcome if you choose to do them.~

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

ALRIGHT SO THIS WILL BE QUICK BECAUSE I HAVE SCHOOL PROJECTS TO DO

Overall, I really loved The Hobbit. I had read it for the first time in ninth grade, and I can see why some people do think it's a bit boring at times. Descriptions can go on for a good while at times, and sometimes the reading could be a bit dry. But once you look at the actual story itself, it's really quite amazing. You can clearly see with your mind's eye Bilbo's home, the Misty Mountains, the dwarves preparing for battle; the descriptions were long, yes, but they were necessary in creating such a crisp fictitious world.

Another thing that really struck out to me was Bilbo's development throughout the novel. Yes he started as a, to be blunt, pushover, but as he faced the various creatures and obstacles along the way (Gollum, the Goblins, going through the forest to the Misty Mountains, etc.) he became a different character altogether, replacing the fear he had with confidence in himself and his abilities (...and the ring's abilities >_> ).

5. Daxa~ #stalker

The Hobbit.
    The Hobbit.
    <3 <3 <3

Well I honestly competely love this book,and pretty much every character,scene etc.
    Its just so lovely.
    And the dwarves' songs are just...well lets jut say that I honeslty do sing them,to my own special tune.

But really this book just makes me happy <3
    The book just seems so alive,and rather adorable or something,in the way its written and just phrased,so unlike most fiction these days but all the better for it.
    This is one of the books that I really really really loved as a child (as you may have guessed) and just...yeah,I still love it.
    Oh The Hobbit.

Also,read Lord of the Rings aswell.
    Just saying.
    <3

6. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I won't lie; at first I thought I wouldn't like the book because I barely made through Fellowship of the Ring, actually I never finished any of the LotR novels.

Boy was I wrong.

I had the most fun watching Bilbo's character change from the beginning, from a hobbit who started to remind me of Arnold from Magic School Bus ("I KNEW I should have stayed at home today!") to a hobbit who occasionally thought of returning home, but focused more on the adventure. I guess I could say I related to Bilbo; I felt the exact same way when I took my first steps away from my parents when starting out on my own, longing to stay with them but realizing that it's much more fulfilling to go on your own adventures, even if you're not the adventuring type.

Hands down my favorite part was the riddle battle with Gollum.

7. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

To be honest, I never got the chance to re-read this book, 'cause I couldn't find my copy. :(
    However, I can remember most of it from the last time I read it, and I must say I absolutely love it! Gandalf makes me laugh, the dwarves are hilarious, and it's fun to watch Bilbo grow from a standard hobbit to the old adventurous man you see in LOTR. lol, My favorite chapter was always the one when they "escape from the goblins to be eaten by wolves." All in all, The Hobbit is one of my favs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.