Book Club Session #1 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plums, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plums Wakanda Forever

That's right!

With the premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II on July 15th, what better way to start off the Book Club with the book that ended it all?

So far, the set deadline for finishing the book is July 14th.
    The deadline for projects if you choose to do them is July 21st.
    Discussion will also continue up to the 21st, and then the thread will be destickied and locked.
    Now get to reading! c:

2. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I have the book pretty close to memorized so I'll just start on the project XD

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I actually read the book last month, so it's pretty fresh in my mind (my second time reading it). I'll start on my stuff too!

4. Daxa~ #stalker

Lol I just finished re reading the whole series last week! <3
    Ill start the project

5. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Well. I just started it, so...

Anyway, excited face.
    I'll be working on the project at the same time, as I've read it 3 times.

6. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

So I made two HP pics on the computer for part of my project. Which one do you all like better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Poop, I'm a couple of days late starting.

No matter. Late night readings should make short work of this. c:

8. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I'll be making a MMV with clips from the trailers and stuff.

9. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Hmm. I made an interesting pic, but I don't know whether it really relates to the book enough...
    [​IMG]

10. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I'm going to be playing the Harry Potter theme song on piano. I learned it yesterday, and now I just have to practice 'til it's perfect. Then I'm going to put those pics I made for the credits backdrop.

lol, I've read HP Deathly Hallows at least seven times (lol, seven times, get it?), but now that I'm trying to read it again, my little sister decided she wants to read it too. So now we have to fight for it. I must admit, I'm not fighting as hard as I should, but I still got time to finish it later, right? ;D

11. Plums Wakanda Forever

Icwatudidthar.

It would be preferable if everyone could be done with the book by the 14th (since the Discussion will open that day), but if you can't finish it by then you'll still have about a week left. <: Especially since you read it seven times, haha.

Also, the Rules were updated a bit so please make sure to read this post.

12. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Oh, whoops. Sorry, I wasn't looking for an extension of the deadline. I'm a fast reader, so I can finish it in no time when I sit down and read it. Lol, I actually never read the series until the seventh book came out (because I hate cliffhangers and I didn't know how much I could stand waiting for a book to come out after I finished the first one), and when I finally had the whole series in one location I finished the series within a week. So, sorry for the miscommunication. :)

13. P Banned

So can we start discussing yet? I have a few hefty criticisms of the book, and I'm looking forward to getting into a few debates about it.

14. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I thought we decided the 14th was the day discussion started.

15. Plums Wakanda Forever

Just posting to remind everyone that discussion officially opens on Thursday!

Be sure to have the book finished by then! Even if you can't, there's still another seven days for you to cram in and be able to join in the discussion. <:

Projects (if you chose to do them), must be posted by the end of Thursday, July 21st! This thread will be destickied and locked at the end, and the poll thread for the next session will be put up soon after.

-Plums

16. Plums Wakanda Forever

_Discussion is now open.

17. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

First. >8D

Spoilers henceforth.

This was the third time that I read the Deathly Hallows, and I have to say that I always get teary-eyed. It's not quite the full-on crying that it was when I first read it, but there was a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes when I read The Prince's Tale, and when multiple people died, and the epilogue, and just he climax in general. And because I already knew Snape's story while reading, I was way more emotional when he died than I was in my first reading of it.

I really realized the contrast of content between the Philosopher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows. In the first book, we had to get used to the world of magic, and in a way, the reader was learning along with Harry through the books the rules of the wizarding world and of magic. And now, the reading the 7th book, we know -- not all about it, but we're so familiar with it that we often don't need explanation. Gah, how do I put this... Like when we first see Hermione rummaging elbow deep into her little handbag, and when she says "Undetectable Extensions Charm", instead of being totally baffled, we just go: "oh, yeah, makes sense". We're just so used to the magic now (in a good way), and Rowling recognizes this and knows that she can focus much more on the story than ever before.

18. Plums Wakanda Forever

This. ;__;

Snape's part really just changed my entire opinion of him. From the start I just always thought "lolyeah Snape what a ******bag" considering how horribly sarcastic he was towards the non-Slytherins. And even when Harry had saved the day countless times, all Snape did was brush it off with a "Enjoy it Potter. You'll be back in my office sooner than another DADA teacher quits."

And then with this, we learned that Snape was...yeah, still a ******bag to non-Slytherns, but he actually did care about Lily. And it was those feelings of love which spurred him to protect Harry so he could get the chance to save the day as much as he did. If anything, it could have been torture to Snape: protecting the girl of his dreams' son, while being forced to live with the fact that this same boy carried the looks of his most hated rival.

And that's one of the things I loved about this series: how a seemingly evil character could just have that much depth to them. It was weaved together pretty masterfully, in my opinion.

19. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

Well, yeah, Snape is after all the most intriguing, well made, interesting etc, character of the entire series along with Dumbledore. It's funny that they have so much depth while Harry... yeah...

As for the 7th book, for some reason it is the only book i can fully remember, maybe because each and every chapter is more unique than those in previous books, with the characters always traveling trying to escape from the Death Eaters, the search for the horcruxes etc

I remember i was trying to read the book as slow as i could, because it would at some point end, but at the same time i was reading as fast as i could because A) you know, it's a Harry Potter book after all, and everything is really intense, i still get sucked in whenever i read it..., and B) because in Greece we got it 3 months later than the rest of the world XD (at least as far as i remember) and everyone else already knew what had happened.

God..., the deaths while reading that book..., i still get all teary eyed when i read the part in which
    Fred dies.

20. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I agree with everyone so far in what they've said about Snape. When I first read book seven, it was pretty sad. And also, when
    Fred dies. I agree with Τσούλα Λιμανιού ♥. It almost made me cry. :)
    I really enjoyed this book, it quickly made my all-time list of favorite books. The writing was good, the plot was well thought out and realized accurately, and it was easy to understand. You really fall in love with the characters, and they become real, they aren't just made of pen and paper. You can easily imagine what the world of Harry Potter looks like, the author makes it easy to see, while not using so many words that the reader loses interest. The list could go on forever. All in all, I guess I'm just trying to say, I really like this book. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.