Cycle 2: Best Traditional Artist

Discussion in '2011' started by Misty, Jul 27, 2011.

?

Best traditional artist?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2011.
  1. T A F F Y シ

61.0%
  2. Gultigargar

7.3%
  3. DPWolf

31.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty gimme kiss

2011 User Awards: Cycles & Polls
    Because there are so many categories in the User Awards, we separate the polls into ‘Cycles’. If we did not do this, the polls would all go up at the same time, and users might find it difficult to vote in every single one. With the cycle system, we avoid this, because it is staggered--each cycle lasts 10 days. (Plus it creates suspense).

The cycles this year will go as follows:
    Cycle One: General Nominations, Thread Nominations
    Cycle Two: Writing/Video Editing/Art Nominations
    Cycle Three: Best/Worst Member Nominations
    Cycle Four: Miscellaneous Member Nominations

You are currently voting in Cycle Two.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Work Samples:
    T A F F Y シ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gultigargar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DPWolf
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Definitely DP Wolf.

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

First person to make a comment about balls wins.

oh and wolfie

4. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

Wolfie.
    In Wolfie world, balls kick you.

5. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Oh man, look at all of these, this might be a tough choi-

6. Styx That's me inside your head.

This really is a tough choice. I will judge them MasterChef-style...and will be harsh in my criticism.
    I realize that by judging these two pieces, my impression of the artists is incomplete. However, they sent this in for the awards, so I will judge them on the grounds of these and only these. My apologies to them for this presumed injustice.

T A F F Y's first piece is mysterious in a mesmerizing way. I was definitely intrigued. I could stare at it for the better half of an hour. In fact, this would have an easy choice if it weren't for her second piece.
    I don't have an eye for art. I really don't. But when even an ignoramus such as myself goes "Holy crap, look at those shoulders! That ain't right!", then it should be clear that you have made a very basic mistake. Perhaps it struck her as insignificant compared to the vivid hairdo, which is the cornerstone of the piece. Nevertheless, the sheer obviousness of the asymmetry does cost her some points.

Gultigargar is difficult to judge. His first piece does demonstrate some drawing skill, but the piece (can I even call it that?) seems ripped off a sketchbook. Who sends in rough sketches in a contest? That doesn't strike me as right. But how can I be mad or even disappointed at a guy (I don't know this member; it's a guy right?) who sends in a fucking Cowboy Keyblade? That is hilariously creative. Cowboy boots? Check. A lasso for a keychain? Check. A sheriff star? Check. Cow motif? Check. It's all there. It's original, funny and complete.

Then there is DPWolf. Her first piece betrays that she's probably the most skilled of the three. I like the colouring, the red/blue contrast in particular. I got a lukewarm impression of the Pokéballs. Again, the painting is uncanny, at least to my unexercised eye. However, being an artist is about creativity as well as skill, and neither of the pieces strike me as very creative. Put in other words; neither of her pieces wowed me despite her obvious skill.

In the end, my vote goes to T A F F Y. Among all six pieces, her first one is the only one that gave me a lasting impression.

7. The Fuk? Dead

Wolfie has some nice balls (lol), but I have to go with TAFFY on this one.

8. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

Well, the thing about the first one is that you have about 2-5 minutes make each drawing, which is why I sent those. (And why they are so sketchy.) But I can see where you're coming form.

As for the keyblade, it's from a thread I did with keyblade designs, and that was the one I liked best. So yeah, cowboy high five to you.

Ended up voting Taffy, because I'm absolutely terrible at painting and therefore enjoy seeing when people do it well.

9. Styx That's me inside your head.

Yeah, I didn't know that. It's a risky piece to send in without the background information.
    Not saying it's bad though. It just feels unfinished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.