Cycle 2: Best Graphic Artist

Discussion in '2012' started by Clawtooth, Aug 4, 2012.

?

Who is the best Graphic Artist in 2011/2012

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Misty

12.2%
  2. Chevalier

10.2%
  3. Jayn

18.4%
  4. Plums

6.1%
  5. Axis

22.4%
  6. beezygee

6.1%
  7. Valium

14.3%
  8. Amethyst

2.0%
  9. What?

6.1%
  10. Sacredlith

2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Best Graphic Artist

Welcome to Cycle 2 of this year’s KHV Awards!! Jayn and I shall be your guide for this week’s cycle in our awards celebrating the more creative among us, from role-playing to writing and poetry, to video editing and more!

Please vote honestly and remember, if you sould have any queries about voting procedure, please read our voting rules here, and if your question isn’t answered there, don’t hesitate to contact Misty.

Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favour!!

Nomination Samples:

Misty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chevalier
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jayn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plums
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Axis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beezygee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Valium
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amethyst
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sacredlith
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Styx That's me inside your head.

[pretending to know shit about art]

A more conspicuous background would have helped the first piece a lot in my opinion. The text is barely legible, which is kind of a shame. I like the colour scheme of the second piece. Perhaps it would have been even better if she had chosen reddish colours on the right as well. This is good artwork, but it doesn't blow me away.

The colour transition in the first piece is somewhat sudden. Chev chose a fitting image to soften the contrast, and this may work for some, but it didn't quite cut it for me. Love what he did what the text though. Very nice. The second one has a neat concept and a lot of potential, but the left image should have been edited more to make it look less...ripped. It looks crude now. Editing out Vincent (who is barely visible anyway) would have been a good start.

The colour fade-out in the first design wasn't even necessary. In fact, I think it hurts the piece more than it does it good, because I really dig the vividness of the colours in the drawing. The second one is a masterpiece, and perhaps my favourite entry of them all. If I may nit-pick, I think a uniform skin colour on the girl would have made it perfect. Her face looks differently coloured than her legs now. Nevertheless, it is an outstanding piece of art.

The comments I had on Chevalier's first piece could be inverted for Plums' first entry: great colour transition here, but the text and what has been done with it is downright primitive. I like the second entry quite a bit better. Very well-crafted with great attention to detail. The diagonal blue line should have been ditched though, or at least make it somewhat softer. It kind of messes up Aigis' face now, but I admit that I was too awe-struck to even notice it at first. A brilliant second entry completely overshadows the mediocre first.

I like the form of the first piece quite a bit, with its circular centre and periphery. It seems to contain some "impurities", for example a strange green streak on Thanatos' left hand, and a brown one on his body, but overall this is a very solid work of art. Minato's facial expression of determination, courage and a hint of fear flirts with perfection. I'm less enthusiastic about the second piece. That's to say, I think Lightning turned out great, but she deserved more than a bland background. I don't know...It feels unfinished.

Colour scheme and transition done completely right, in both works but especially apparent in the first. It's hard not to fall in love with the background of that piece. I applaud the choice of character: Evangelion deserves more love. The flame-shaped blot covering up part of Asuka's image is the only minor eyesore in the piece. The second piece is probably even better. The colours are dazzling and vivid yet warm and soothing at the same time. There is a lot of detail to be enjoyed there too. I think the girl could have been completely centered, but whatever floats the artist's boat.

The first piece did everything right to make Roxas look as badass as possible. I'd imagine any Roxas fan would want that as their wallpaper, and it might even give Roxas haters a run for their money. Replace "badass" with "childish" and the same can be said for Sora in the second piece. Is that Destiny Islands to his left? It's too hard to tell. Whatever's next to Sora should be more conspicuous and perhaps more distant from him. Good pieces...Not jaw-droppingly so, but solid all the same.

The first piece has an in-your-face, almost violent feel to it. Unlike anything I'd expect from a piano, but then again Amethyst's work is unlike anything I've seen here so far. Her art is refreshing and bold, and that's a huge plus in my book. The second piece confirms the suspicion that she's full of surprises. If I had that as my wallpaper, I'd organize my desktop files in such a way that it wouldn't mess up the art. The band-aid looks a bit out there as opposed to a part of a whole, but that's the only qualm I have about her work. Very good indeed.

What? also surprised me in a good way: I didn't know he was such a good artist. There's more to the background of that first piece than first meets the eye. Inspiring a second or third glance is always a good thing. I didn't like the way the bubbles were "filled up": the borders should have matched what was in the bubbles, rather than all being the same colour. I still like the piece though.
    For some reason, I find it hard to rate the second one. Maybe I'm missing something but did he choose the shape of that piece at random? I aapplaud his break from the overused rectangular box but the actual choice of shape could have been more thoughtful. As much as I dislike its shape, I absolutely love its overall style. The vintage look combined with modern techniques makes it a highly likable package.

The characters in the first work look like they're on a football field. Not sure what to think that. Why is the left side so empty? That doesn't seem right. I like how this piece lives and breathes piece and happiness. Not bad at all, but I've seen better entries.
    The second piece is by far the superior one. It has that same tranquil vibe to it, with an added flair of mystery. Sublime use of many shades of green. Splendid.

Speaking in olympic terms, I believe Jayn, beezygee and Amethyst deserve the gold, silver and bronze medals. In what order, you ask? I honestly have no idea...yet. Maybe I should view some of their other work before I make a choice.

[/pretending to know shit about art]

3. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Styx what might you be doing?

Lol

4. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Critiquing art at an awards?

It's like BAFTA all over again....

5. C This silence is mine

Going with Chev, as he is the only one here who has something I 'get'. All of them are pleasing to the eye, but I think I can see some possibly imagined 'deeper' meaning in one of them. And in my eyes, clever is what really does it.

6. Styx That's me inside your head.

Voted for Jayn. The wolf-girl piece was especially impressive.

While I won't deny the public secret that the second cycle of awards is as much a popularity contest as the others, I think it would satisfy the contestants that there is at least someone who actually looks at the pictures before they vote.
    Yeah, I realize the hypocrisy of calling Makaze out on taking the awards too seriously. I enjoyed trying to sound artsy though, so it was all in good fun anyway.

7. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Axis is a graphics GOD!

8. Hayabusa Venomous

Difficult, but I went with Axis. They're all so good though ;.;

9. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Trig has my vote, and this is the only vote im making in cycle 2, because I know nothing of the other categories.

10. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

Tie between Trig, Misty, and Chev.
    Ugh, you are all my role-models. ;_;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.