Barack Obama's Inauguration

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Patsy Stone, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

This is the funniest post I've ever read.

2. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

You only resort to insult because you know I'm right.

And I stay by my point. Conservatism, as George Walker Bush and Adolf Hitler have proven, is a restrictive, capitalist system that achieves nothing but the enslavement of the people.

That's why George Bush and his cronies f.ucked with the Constitution. That's why Nazi Germany was so oppressive. Conservatism.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

huh, i always wondered what the W stood for but never looked up it, it was like a national mystery to me haha i thought it was washington...

I believe Obama will change things for the better, but from a different point of view than you.
    Its nice to have someone with a different frame of mind as president,
    Like he said himself "its time for a change"

4. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Exactly, he has a fresher outlook, unlike some fogeys out there *coughJohnMcCaincough*. And, like I said, he's liberal. Always a plus.

5. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Oh come on.

Obama is nothing more than a celebrity at the moment. All he has done so far is becoming the first black president, and that's not saying much. As far as we know, another 9/11 could occur tommorow and it would be on his shoulders. I don't think he'll be watching Alicia Keys and Stevie Wonder perform on stage when that's happening.

As for liberals being a good thing... wow. Liberals are ruining this country my friend. Funny how Obama called Gov. Granholm of Michigan the "The Best Governor in the Country" and how she'll "take Michigan out of the economic woe". Yeah sure, the automotive industry sure is taking us out of our woe.

So where's the change? Asking the Governor of Michigan to take us out of of debt? Does Mr. Obama not understand she has been the governor since 2003 and she still hasn't done anything? What makes him think she will do something now?

You probably don't know the situation that is going on here in Michigan, but that's coming from my stand point. I like how people say "it's time for a change" but when you ask them what Obama is going to change they can't give you a straight answer.

If you really think Obama will make a difference, come back to this thread at the end of his term and we'll see how much he has accomplished.

6. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i didnt' really watch it cuz i was at school but i thot the letter that the Bush twins left for the Obama girls was a pretty neat thing to do. even though i never really supported Obama during the election all i can do is hope for the best and hopefully put my skepticism to rest.

7. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

Did anyone notice that the singer (I forget the name) said "Time!" while singing? xD

Besides that I'm really hoping that Obama will do the job and get this economy going right!

8. Sara Tea Drinker

*waves from seat at work*

Have to be quick and can't debate, but whether you're Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative really doesn't matter at this point. We're in a war that is being compared to Vietnam, the all-feared D word was mentioned yesterday. (If you know what that is, you get a cookie.) And the banks are still asking for help despite even in their own words openly admitting spending that money on things they shouldn't have. And yes, I was against the bailout because on either side, left or right, I knew they were going to get away with murder.

This moment is significant for any religion, any race, anyone who is not a white male in the United States. Because this dream was given to everyone who said: "No we can't." There's still work to be done, but it gives so many people hope where they haven't had any for years, it even gave me some that I gave up on a long time ago.

Yesterday wasn't about politics, it wasn't about religion, race, gender or anything of that kind, it was giving a second breath to a nation that has been crippled for so long by so many problems.

9. Envious623 Twilight Town Denizen

Three pages into the thread and people are already biting each others' head off. *sighs*

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool. We watched it at school, during our study hall. I've never bothered watching an inauguration. There's supposed to be a separation of church and state, I know, and I'm not even religious, but I was really happy watching the inauguration. Like, really happy. Which is weird, because I'm normally really apathetic. I know things won't change right away, but all we can do is hope, I suppose. Here's hoping Obama lives up to the pedestal people have placed him on. It'll be pretty hard, cause people are expecting a lot of him, but who knows? He might. :)​

10. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

Democrats have gotten us in most of our wars. Check your research.

Get over yourself.

I'm a Republican and I still have strong support for Obama. He won the election. It's over. McCain lost. I'm over it and I'm giving my full suport to him and praying he'll fix our Country.

11. Hissora ahurhurhur.

I watched it in choir and I noticed how funny it is that they could have some priest guy go and pray there at the most watched thing on television, but you can't pray in school.

I may be agnostic, but that's funked up.

12. Dredica SNES was the best.

I'm not trying to come off as a dick, but the content of the video was too funny for me to take the whole thing seriously. Did you see the people's faces who were there? And the two poets I saw were horrible. Then it took place at a mall?​

13. EvilMan_89 Code Master

what are you talking about? what video?

yea, that about summarizes my feelings bout this too

14. Hayabusa Venomous

Saw it in school. Obama's a great speaker and all (aside from a few errors that I bet anyone would make at that time), but I've yet to really see any effect from him yet, beside pretty much every black person I know being all smiles now and yelling "CHANGE" and stuff.

I was also confused by all the God-talk. I'm a practicing Christian and everything, but that doesn't mean I think there should be a separation of church and state. Not everyone in America believes in a faith, which is perfectly okay by me, but don't bash religion cause you think everyone with a faith thinks the same (I think being gay or bi is perfectly fine, not some devil within or b.s. like that)

Still, hoping Obama will fix the economy and not screw over the military, and he better not DARE legalize abortion >.>

15. Keyblade_Smokey Traverse Town Homebody

Well if you look back this country was founded on Christian principles. But I do agree that it was a little hypocritical that they had a prayer with the separation of church and state. The prayer is a tradition if you want to think about it like that. I do like how the prayer wasnt biased to one religion. You have to look back to when these traditions and laws were put into place, when religion was a huge part of everyday life. I thought it was quite a historic event for a non white male to take the presidency, now we have to wait a few more years for a female to get in (African-American males got the vote before females). I loved Obama's speech, I'm a Communication Major and thats what we do, evaluate speeches. He's a great speaker and made a lot of good points. I really liked how he said we will not apologize for the way we are and we will defend our way of life. Also he brought up how we will have to help out eachother, that changing the state of the economy wont be easy and that it isnt just a one man job. I wish him the best of luck, he doesnt have an easy job and we should stand behind him. I take that ideal with every President, we may not always agree with their deicisions but they are the President of our country and they deserve our support.

Dredica:
    It didnt take place at a mall, that's just the name of the huge grass space with the Capital at one end and the Washington Monument on the other. It's not a mall with stores that you go window shop through.

16. Dredica SNES was the best.

The inauguration.​

Oh, haha...and all this time I thought it was at an actual mall that you shop at...I feel like a dumb ass.

I thought it was funny how he was talking about destroying, or in other words, murdering the terrorist, yet they were praying through out most of the day (that I actually saw of all the events Obama attended) and murder is one of the worst sins you can commit.​

17. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

OK, jeez, don't be a ****. I was just expressing my feelings. You don't have to go all Condemned Memoir on me.

18. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

'Expressing your feelings' is fine. Just be polite about it. =/

19. Dredica SNES was the best.

Freedom of Speech? He has the right to say whatever he wants, even IF it's polite or not...oh wait, we're not talking.​

20. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Since you replied to his comment and not mine, I suppose you don't have an answer for me. How sad. I was looking forward to hearing another funny response from you.