Traditional Art average sketches (。・//ε//・。)

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Ghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Ghost King's Apprentice

I not sure if I should do this because I never show my sketches to people cause they look weird. But I will put them here as part of my attempt to integrate myself into society. Anywho ... any constructive criticism is welcome.

I'm not sure if I should use the spoiler thingies so im gonna use them.

[​IMG]

I didn't erase at all on this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:;(∩´﹏`∩);:

2. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I find them cute. They look like little chibis. They're also better than the stick figures i draw so don't give up.

3. Ghost King's Apprentice

Thank you! Most of what I draw kind of look like that since I don't know how to draw hands or feet. And I also can't shade. I'm still nervous about putting them here but someone actually likes them! (*^▽^*)

4. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

You are clearly new at drawing so let's start by looking at what a drawing is.

A drawing is lines mostly. Even the things that aren't lines themselves are usually made of lines. So what kind of lines do you want? Do you want a thin line or a thick line? Do you want a clean line or a scratchy line? Do you want a solid line or a broken line? Lots of ways to go about doing something as simple as lines. Right now you have scratchy lines that vary in thickness from relatively thick to relatively thin. Is this what you want? If you don't like anything about your drawings does it trace back to the appearance of the lines?

So that was lines, but if we just wanted to talk about different kinds of lines you could have just shown me your handwriting and I could have made similar statements. So next is shape. Shape is what lines make. You probably figured this out when you were 2 or 3 years old and had your first twig to scratch in the dirt with. How appealing a drawing is usually comes down to the shapes used because that's how we relate to the drawing and interpret what it is. So what kind of shapes do you personally want? Do you want sharp angles or rounded angles? Do you want large shapes or small shapes? Do you want complex shapes or simple shapes? Do you want clean shapes or messy shapes? Right now you have simple, smooth, messy shapes. Is that what you want? If you don't like anything about your drawings does it trace back to the appearance of the shapes?

So what makes a drawing mimic depth and that third dimension? What makes art looks a little more than 2D? Well that's volume. Volume is done by altering the shapes to match perspective and sometimes more visibly shading. You already said you can't shade and you already and you already proven that you don't try. So what about shading is difficult for you? Why do you think you can't shade?

These three things are one of many ways to break down a drawing into its constituent parts. That's the beauty, there are many ways to attack this problem, but we'll see how this was goes first.

5. sebby ~ ★ Merlin's Housekeeper

i always love your drawings!! -3- but you dont always let me see them

6. Ghost King's Apprentice

Okay, so, this was totally going to be a painting but I totally got carried away by the fact that it was coming out the way I liked it so it just ended up this way :|

And I just realized one of the eyes is kinda off >3>
    [​IMG]

And look! There is a baby >///<