Television Avatar: Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Always Dance, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

Really nice episode, combining moments of both light-hearted comedy and deeper traumatic experiences. It helps show that, even if Amon and Unalaq were flawed characters in execution, their ideals were at least very interesting. Also glad to see Ikki and Meelo getting more screen time. They felt pretty pointless for most of the past three Books.

I feel like it was because it was Korra's body, not Suyin's. Nobody knows your body better than you, y'know? It's all about learning your own lessons, rather than having someone else learn it for you.

2. cstar stay away from my waifu

Alright, so today as soon as I got out of my ACTs I started marathoning season 3 and 4 and I just finished up. I've been notepading my thoughts on everything all day and running back and forth to scream stuff at my dad (who was happy at first but soon became irritated by my spoilers so I had to go spoiler free at one point and it was rather difficult since I usually watch episodes of TLA and LOK with him. But here we go (I'm keeping each season in a spoiler tag)

So when I started watching this I actually managed to not know anything about this season except that Zuko was back and that Opal is a character. Other than that I was in the dark about most of it. My initial reaction was this: I loved the whole rebirth of the air nomads ark, but I was not really feeling the Red Lotus thing at first (which at the time I didn't even know was the red lotus I just thought it was some sort of criminal breakout thing). But as I got further into the season I was really digging the Red Lotus ark, and I'm one of those sick people that likes to see the main protagonist suffer, and I was dying to know what they were going to do with Korra. Everything about season 3 was excellent. I loved the new characters, I liked seeing more settings than one or two places. There was one thing though that I kept thinking they were going to do but they didn't do. When they introduced the whole new airbenders thing, and how people did not seem to want to learn the ways of the nomad, I thought it was going to bring about a completely new airbender. Well... it did, but not really how I was expecting it to go. I still like the idea of protectors of the world... but I don't know. I think before the Earth Queen was killed I was expecting some sort of Airbender vs Earthbender war, and I was excited for it. But I think the Red Lotus thing worked a lot better. I love me some good ol' anarchy lessons every now and again. Also we had a character named Otaku, and that's double points from me.

I like the villians of this one, strangely... I actually was hoping half the time the villians would win. Up to the last two episodes I actually liked Zaheer. He brought up a lot of thought provoking discussion and if he wasn't... well... the bad guy... I would have expected him to have been a very wise mentor. I thought this throughout the season, unlike season 2 with Unalaq. I mean, I did think the same thing at first with Unalaq but it was easier for me to look at him as a bad guy. I don't know why it was so hard with Zaheer. I almost can't forgive myself for that. Also... I can't figure out how lava bending is not a form of firebending. You know, I don't mind the idea of pidgin bending. Be like "well now that the spirits are free to roam, the airbenders have spiked up... guess what? I can bend TWO elements now. Yeah, I combine fire and earth. Iunno man...

Bolin and Mako's family is and will always be adorable and I hope that does not change. Although I secretely still want an ark where they find the person who killed their family and bring them to justice. If there's some novel about it I'm NOT READING IT. I did not appreciate having to do that to find out what happened to Zuko's mom...

Oh also, specific section for the finale, I was getting a lot of TLA flashbacks with the settings and the fight at the end. I felt it was just as satisfying to watch. Heck even the ending with Korra getting all dressed up in 'avatar attire' for Jenora's ceremony (which oh man I was never so happy for a character to get tattoos in my life) reminded me of Aang being dressed up for Zuko's coronation. I don't think I would have survived the end of season 3 without the beginning of season 4 right after and I have no idea how you guys did it. Poor Korra... oh well at least she's-- oh no season 4 is cutting me o-

-ff... hmph... anyway so thank GOD Korra is already doing better by ep 4, loving Toph being back. Also, we're covering dictatorships now... woo... I mean we covered it with TLA and we covered communism and anarchy might as well cover dictatorships again. Anyway, so at one point during season three, when they introduced Kuvira randomly, I kind of sat there confused and said to myself okay so we're randomly learning this character's name, this can mean one of two things. She's either our deus ex machina for season 3 or she's gonna do something big in season 4. It's great to see I was right for once, which I'm usually not.

Opal here, cool, I'm not a screaming Opal fan but I don't hate her either. She's alright, she didn't do anything to really wow me other than be an airbending natural. I do love Kai though, and I'm sorry for not going into depth about that in season 3 but hey, I do what I want, and if people are actually reading this they are probably reading both of these spoiler tags anyway.

The three year time skip threw me off at first. I got really scared because I heard "after all these years" and Asami definitely looked older and I was like, "Oh god how long has it been is anyone married has it been 5 years, what if it's 10, who is this prince guy UGH." and fortunately it was only three. We've got our Katara, Toph, and Aang cameos, all we need is Zuko, Sokka, and Suki and we're good [i s2g if I forgot someone that ISN'T momo or oppa I'm gonna cry].

I was a little upset this freakout Korra is having is because of leftover poison. I was hoping it was going to be a sort of ptsd thing, or something happening to her mind. I was hoping for a really long repairing process. I know people don't usually like sitting through that but I DO. It'll be great to see how they handle the dictatorship but honestly, the only thing that was really getting me hooked on this season was Korra's healing process, and ep 4 was right where that ended. I'll watch it and hope for something to hook me in but maybe it's because I really loved season 3 that season 4 just feels okay to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read if you read. I might be a regular on this thread starting with the next episode. Thank you for your time~

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Four words: Kuvira is a *****.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  4. Hayabusa Venomous

Man oh man I'm glad that the writers keep making good use of Bolin. Having him initially on Kuvira's side is a great dynamic, since he's pretty much her opposite, to the point he even gets fooled about what she's willing to do for her goals (by they however humble.) Also, awesome to see what I theorized: lava-banding to counter the use of the new and improved mecha tanks.

Also, weaponizing spirit energy? Damn son, I'm really looking forward to what Korra's gonna have to face now. It makes me continue to appreciate Kuvira while still finding her way too XTREEEEEME.

Wish we got more from Opal besides her "you betrayed me" responses, but I get that the episode was already pretty busy.

Asami trying to reconnect with her father was pretty tragic. I'm glad though that she didn't end up completely cutting ties. Sends an important message to people in the same situation I think.

Korra herself was probably the most disappointing part of the episode, though not bad at all. She just didn't get to do that much it felt like, besides the obvious "hey guys let's not start a war over this." Though now I'm intrigued to see how she'll respond to what's happened to Bolin.

Noticeably, nothing with Mako or the Prince in this one. Wonder when we'll see those two again.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Kuvira needs to be taken down. Plain and simple.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

Pretty standard episode this time around. The first fight between Korra and Kuvira has to end in Korra's loss, else the whole story would have ended either really abruptly or by throwing away what makes Kuvira interesting: her not-quite-there dictator attitude.

Also, damn, I thought Korra was done with her Zaheer ordeal. That was probably the most interesting event in this episode, since I didn't see it coming.

I did like the hijinx pulled by Varik and Bolin tho.

Not much else I have to say.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. Amaury Legendary Hero

And now Kuvira is messing with the spirits. She needs to be taken down!

8. Hayabusa Venomous

HOLY SHiT THAT IS LITERALLY SPIKE SPIEGEL PLUS FIREBENDING

Did anyone else freak out a little seeing Korra and Asami reunited? Their ship potential is so strong ;.;

And yo Bolin kicking ass and taking charge is something I'm really glad to see happen. The dynamic between him and Varrick is great.

Also, I'm loving seeing Korra in her Book Two outfit combined with the short hair. So cute :>

9. cstar stay away from my waifu

Is it bad the first thing my dad said when they reunited was, "So are they gonna kiss?"

Anyway, I'm loving seeing Bolin as awesome as he has been, and thank god we at least know Mako is still around. I know all of them aged but does anyone else notice how much older Asami looks? Or is that just me?

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

Funny episode is funny, though I personally don't really like remembrance episodes. They feel like filler.

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This should give some context to the episode on a meta level.

12. Mish smiley day!

The ending... wth did i just watch

13. cstar stay away from my waifu

I think this episode was fine... but my dad and I like to call these twinkie episodes... ya know, because they have filling? It's filler. But dammit it was at least interesting filler. I wasn't fond of Korra's section, it bored me a lot... and my dad too. We were actually planning on just giving up on the episode until we got to Varrick, and we both loved that. So overall it wasn't too bad but man slow moments were slow.

14. Plums Wakanda Forever

still hilarious that ending explained jinora's part in the book 2 finale better than that finale did

tale posted a link where Bryan K. explains in depth why, but this episode being a clip show was more or less because Nick slashed the Book 4 budget and Bryke would've had to fire a number of the crew to make a ~normal~ episode (since even though Nick slashed the budget, they still wanted all 13 episodes of the season). This is probably the worst they've handled either Avatar series by far; ATLA Book 3's latter half all being released in a single week and Book 3 of Korra airing one week after it was finally promo'd by Nick are pretty up there too.

Mako's section was hilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarious. It was pretty much "Mako you suck" and it was wonderful. Grandma Yin and Wu are the best things to ever happen to Mako.

Korra's section was kinda boring but the Korrasami was strong. Until tenzin showed up out of nowhere??? Not cool AirDad, give these kids some time to get the smooch on.

VARRICK THOUGH. VARRICK. oh my god. oh my god. That was so great. Vaatu getting called a kite. EVERYONE HATING UNALAQ. BOLIN'S FACE PHOTOSHOPPED ONTO KORRA AND THE DRAGON. That and the Ryu scene from Book 3 are definitely the humor highlights of this show.

Korra Alone: TOO REAL. My personal favorite episode of Korra ever.

The Coronation: kuvira is ridiculous and i love her. why is toph acting like an *******??? pls stop. lmao su YOU HAD ONE JOB.

The Calling: Meelo being written so sexist pissed me off, lol. The Ikki stuff was good; ATLA and Korra do random guards so well. lmao Toph basically gave out the thesis to the show with Powerpoint slides. Korra and Airbaby reunion :')))) Bending of the posion out was nice, TIME TO WRECK KUVIRA. It was weird how Toph shifted from ******* to strict yet caring, I think they could've transitioned better between that? The ATLA episode summaries though omg. "I threw rocks at the Avatar, he got all whiny, and Sokka fell in a hole" p e r f e c t

Enemy at the Gates: ZHU LI IS THIS THE RIGHT THING. Lavabending is so ****in OP goddamn. also **** BATAAR JR. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU TALK TO YA MOMMA OR YA DADDY. skrillex beifong what a gem. "KUVIRA IS CRAZY" u just now figurin this out.

Battle for Zaofu: Figured Korra would lose all things considered, but did not expect Miss Dark Avatar Korra to reappear. Korra must really see herself in Kuvira. Also, pretty rad all the major players in the battle were women~ Opal and Jinora must've hit the gym hard 'cause that tornado looked just as, if not, stronger than the one they made in the B3 finale against Zaheer. KUVIRA WITH HER HAIR DOWN MY PANTS FLYIN OFF AT MAXIMUM VELOCITY. also bataar jr needs to get his ass whooped with a switch the size of Kuvira's ego. glad to see bolin was standing up for himself at last.

Reunion: DAT BLUSH THO. DAT BLUSH THO

>Kuvira tearing down swamp
    >Toph is there

lmao the earth empire is gonna be the earth speck with that fight

Also, and I may be alone on this, but I don't like how they've suddenly made Kuvira literally Hitler. It's been a weird thing this show's been doing with antagonists, painting them as super morally gray and then launching them into very unambiguously evil (worst offender by far being Unalaq). I thought Kuvira was a lot more compelling when it appeared that she, while incredibly hasrh, was still effective and still not really doing anything horribly wrong. I wouldn't mind the prison camp if/when we actually see one (telling and not showing things show also been weird about), but the purging just seems out of place and I don't see how it factors into her plans as we know them currently? Like, she probably does want the Earth Empire to just be all Earthbenders/Nonbenders, but she has said nothing to that effect or had anything hinted towards that at all until it was just matter of factly said here like we were supposed to know. I dunno, I still like her character a lot, but this does dampen things a smidge for me in regards to her arc currently.

15. Hayabusa Venomous

Soooooo I lost my shit when all the villains did a conference call.

God damn I love that they got the voice actors to do that.

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

Korra has finally accepted what happened to her, and now she's powerful again! :D

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I was about ready to do something drastic if your comment was something along the lines of "Kuvira needs to be taken down" again.

18. Hayabusa Venomous

Though it got off to a slow start, I really enjoyed this episode. Making Korra actually return to Zaheer was a really great scene, and one I hoped to see, especially with how Zaheer seems genuine about his beliefs still.

Though Opal's still being a bitch to Bolin.

19. Amaury Legendary Hero

Such a wonderful reunion with the Beifong family.

Kuvira, you're going down!

20. Hayabusa Venomous

Ok guys, without spoiling the new episode, can anyone else confirm that Nick's web player isn't going full screen?

For me, the browser and taskbar are hidden, but the video stays the same size it was before I hit full screen.

What do?