Autism & Perscription Drugs

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Mike, May 23, 2012.

1. Mike Chaser

You may be wondering how prescription drugs and autism ties together. Do you think the two can lead into domino effect? The movie that I was a part of (distribution, assistant producer and brief acting) has released. Peers Influence Peers Partnership presents "Fine Lines (2012). You can watch the full movie for free below and discuss the causes and effects. It's a great lesson.

http://www.ctn5.org/shows/peers-invluence-peers-18-fine-lines-4827

If you watched the movie ...
    Should an innocent kid who has autism go to jail for trying to save his friend even though he ended up taking her life away by accident?

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Prescribing drugs for psychological or psychosomatic problems will always have a domino effect. Think about what happens when you first start taking a drug. Like coffee.

At first, you feel tired and take the drug to alleviate your exhaustion. It works, so you drink a cup the next time you feel tired, and the time after that as well. After a while, your body stops building up its own reserves of energy and stops asking you to sleep, and instead asks you to drink more coffee. It relies more on the coffee than rest, resulting in constant exhaustion and a stronger need for coffee. It increases your exhaustion, which increases your need for coffee, which increases your exhaustion, which increases your need for coffee.

The same problem applies to most medications prescribed today. If your body can work something out on its own in time, it is better not to teach it not to take care of itself. Letting your emotions, thoughts, immune system, sleeping cycle or muscles sit unused leads to weakened emotions, thoughts, immune system, sleeping cycle and muscles. Most of your abilities, like muscles, grow weak if you stop using them in lieu of something that takes less effort.

The link you posted is dead for me.

To answer your question, I do not believe that he should go to jail, but I also feel that compensation is in order. Of the monetary kind. A life is not worth more or less depending on who ended it or why. Punishment, like revenge, is never helpful in the long run and in the case of prison, it actually increases the threat that the individual poses to others; it makes them more dangerous and decreases their chances of recovery. Efforts should be concentrated on minimizing risks, not on upholding order or something equally arbitrary.