Atheists intolerant?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Peace and War, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Always Dance Chaser

I've never had a problem with atheists being "intolerant" meaning that they don't accept me for being a Christian, or won't talk to me because I'm a Christian, or anything of that nature.
    The kind of intolerance I do have to endure from atheists is their superiority complex. As soon as an atheist hears that I'm a Christian, I'm immediately written off as stupid. I'm automatically registered as someone of a lower intelligence because I've decided to believe in God.

I hate that. I mean, seriously, I'm an intelligent person and I hate having to defend that fact because I believe in God. I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, but I'm 14 years old and I'm going to college, that should allow me to at least be considered "intelligent". But no, I believe in God, so I'm automatically some lunatic in the mind of an atheist. Not that I really care what they think, it just pisses me off is all.

2. Enigmatic Boy Twilight Town Denizen

I never said I don't believe in the Old Testament. You misunderstand me. I see the Old Testament as more of as the history of the Church before Jesus arrived lol. And God never let allowed rape, its against one of the Ten Commandments. I think that God punished the people that comitted rape though. As for the KKK, American Nazi Part and Westboro Baptist Church, I meant Catholic priests, sorry (most of the things I talk about in this thread refer to Catholic stuff, since I am Catholic).

Dude, though, you must think I'm some sort of hardcore Christian fundamentalist, don't you?
    I don't believe everything in the Bible, I believe you're not meant to take everything in the Bible literally or as law. I also don't agree with everything the Catholic Church does too. But I am still a Catholic. So why the **** are you trying to point out all the flaws in my faith? This thread is asking whether or not atheists are intolerant. By telling me that there's "bad **** in the New Testament and Old Testament", you're just showing everyone how intolerant you really are of us Christians, because you're trying to turn me off my faith. And you're trying to ask me questions such as "Why do you believe in God?", like, why the hell do I need to tell you that? Thats personal. I'll give you a clue though, part of it comes down to my own choice. But just a part of it.

3. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

First of I am only f******* informing about how ****ed up your religion is.
    I gave you quotes from your bible which most Christians would call the word of God, and then you flat out say "Nope, nope that verse can't be true". You didn't even read my link did you?!
    A preacher uses the bible and you believe him, I use the same book and you ignore me. I mean seriously I wasn't asking why you believe in God I was asking "why do you worship him?â€

From refrences in your book God does justify rape. I provided the verses in the link but since you can't read a simple link I will just have to post it.

Numbers 31
    (Genocide/Rape)
    1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people."
    3 So Moses said to the people, "Arm some of your men to go to war against the Midianites and to carry out the LORD's vengeance on them. 4 Send into battle a thousand men from each of the tribes of Israel." 5 So twelve thousand men armed for battle, a thousand from each tribe, were supplied from the clans of Israel. 6 Moses sent them into battle, a thousand from each tribe, along with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the priest, who took with him articles from the sanctuary and the trumpets for signaling.
    7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho.
    13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.
    15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. 16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
    19 "All of you who have killed anyone or touched anyone who was killed must stay outside the camp seven days. On the third and seventh days you must purify yourselves and your captives. 20 Purify every garment as well as everything made of leather, goat hair or wood."
    21 Then Eleazar the priest said to the soldiers who had gone into battle, "This is the requirement of the law that the LORD gave Moses: 22 Gold, silver, bronze, iron, tin, lead 23 and anything else that can withstand fire must be put through the fire, and then it will be clean. But it must also be purified with the water of cleansing. And whatever cannot withstand fire must be put through that water. 24 On the seventh day wash your clothes and you will be clean. Then you may come into the camp."

Deuteronomy 22:23-24
    (Kill rape victims)
    23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

2 Samuel 12:11-14
    (God forced women to get rapped)
    11 "This is what the LORD says: 'Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.' "
    13 Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD."
    Nathan replied, "The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt, the son born to you will die."
    ---------------

-------
    Also you say the old testament is a history book, yet you say alot of stuff didn't happen! You can't have a history book with tales of fairies in-between each event. That’s not a history book at all. Also I'd like to point out that in the verses in the link I provided you that it is clearly obvious that your God is not a nice person.

I am not intolerant I am wondering why you are defending your religion even though it was built up on blood and guts. I bet, scratch that. I guarantee that God has done more sickening things than Hitler and Napoleon combined. Me asking questions is not being intolerant, me throwing rocks at you is intolerant. Me isolating you from a group is intolerant. Me threatening you is intolerant. Me questioning you is not intolerant, may be a little personal yes, but not intolerant.

I have many friends who are Christian, which is why I don't bring up the topic of religion too often because it upsets them. Anyway if you want to continue talking please read all the information I have provided you *cough*link*cough*. Thank you and have a magical day!

4. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Enigmatic Boy, what branch of Christianity do you follow exactly? I'm getting a lot of mixed messages here.

5. Enigmatic Boy Twilight Town Denizen

I follow the Catholic religion. And no, I am not defending my religion because it is violent. I know it is a very violent religion, I am ashamed of that at times. I'm defending my religion to show you it is not all bad, the way you make it to be. Sure, the link you sent me (yes, I actually did read most of it) definitely highlights how bad the religion is, I just wanted to say that not all of it is bad. I mean, it still is very screwed up. But then there's parts about Jesus, and all, and how he died to save our sins and so on. That, to me, just cancels out all the sins of God, because he did just allow the death of his own son for our benefit (AND PLEASE don't argue with me on this one, that last sentence or two is my own belief). I am not a priest, or a brother or anything, I'm just a normal kid. I focus more on the New Testament, and Jesus and all, and most of my faith is based upong Jesus and all, because he preached love. And when like everything and everyone tells you to be good to everyone, to act nice, so on and so forth, you tend to look more towards the "good parts" of the Bible, you forget more about all the other bad parts of it.

Just out of curiousity though, what "fairy-tales" are there in between the events, like you said? I'm not angry, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

And yeah, I know that God sometimes advocated rape, but what confuses the hell out of me is that now is such a punishable offence, and it is frowned upon, by the Catholic Church.

If you don't try and upset your friends, why did you try and upset me then? You know full well trying to inform me "how ****ed up my religion is" is going to get me upset, or any devout Christian at that.

I'm sorry I seemed all ignorant and all though. This forum is just very anti-Christian at times. I mean, many peoples' idea of joke here is to make fun of Christianity, and that just pisses me off, especially when they know Christians are going to be on a site with so many members. I'm not talking about you, just other members. Unfortunately, I went so defensive because this site is one of the only places where I meet "resistance" against my religion; even the real world doesn't give this much "resistance" because you don't tend to talk as much about religion, and the people I talk to about religion are generally Catholics, or Christians, at the very least.

6. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Lol resistance, you are right it must feel very foreign for you to have this type of resistance. I myself am now wondering why we have so many Atheists here.
    It could be because we have a forum that goes all around the world.
    Also what I meant by fairy tales, where the events you called false.

As for your God, I do get where he would be coming with wanting to kill certain people. All that power could corrupt anyone’s head. How he could get the idea that rape was justifiable, I have no idea.
    Anyway I would like to thank you for reading a majority of the link; most people would only read 3 verses and then start typing away B|.
    All in all as most people have said each belief system has its people who are open-minded, and others who are closed-minded.

7. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

...It's because we have so many Christians here too. It's just that the Atheists tend to post in religious discussion threads more because they can intelligently discuss such more often than Christians, and I don't have a problem admitting this because I'd like to think I'm not an example of it.

8. anotheraxelfangirl Destiny Islands Resident

As an atheist myself, I'd like to say one thing. Labeling all of us as intolerant is like saying all Christains will burn you at the stake for being different-- it's a stereotype, and not even an accurate one. I for one will accept anyone as long as they accept me, and most other atheists I've met are the same way.

*steps off soapbox*

9. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

*steps on soapbox*

Please show me where any reasonable person labeled all Atheists as intolerant.

*steps off soapbox*

10. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Define reasonable.

11. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Point taken.

12. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i know i posted in this thread already, but some people who do follow religons are VERY intolerant and ignorant , both to the religon and followers.

Some girl i know is trying to turn everyone she knows into Christians, she really brags on about how she is 'pure' and they will all burn in hell if they dont join. I am not saying EVERY religous person is like that, but some are.
    Heck, religon is an old concept, and there are people who follow the bible like it is the instruction manual to life. I mean the book is god, a million years old?
    beliefs were different and people lived differently.

Anyways there are ways Atheists are more PEACEFUL than Religous people, they would accept a gay couple anytime they wanted to and so forth.

But like i said in my older post, I dislike religons, but not the people who follow it.

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

And there are some Atheists that think anyone with a religion is automatically ignorant.
    Beliefs may have an impact on how one sees another, but it can also boil down to the person itself.
    You said that not "EVERY religious person is like that, but some are."
    Well not every Atheist is "peaceful", but SOME are.

14. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

well i did not say all atheists are peaceful
    if i did then thats not what i meant

15. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

With any group, you cannot generalize. There are going to be atheists that show no tolerance for other religions and there will be those that are all right with it, just as there will be Christians that condemn non-Christians and Christians that have no problem with other religions. If you're suggesting that you've noticed this to be a common trend among atheists, it might just be the atheists you're speaking to. Even if a majority of atheists are like that (and you can't stay that's true until you've conducted a valid study), you will never be able to say this is true of all atheists.

16. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

Kairi i'm athiest and most of the other athiests i know, with an exception of one or two are absolute *ssholes. Without religion they don't set any morals for themselves, they have nothing to follow, nothing to believe in, nothing to live by. All the athiest that are all right have their own philosophies, their own thoughts and all of their philosophies includes the respect of others and considering others. Atheists can be very annoying but the theists, at the same time, are just as bad on both ends of the spectrum.

17. Styx That's me inside your head.

I strongly disagree with this, to put it kindly. Atheists usually have a sense of morality all the same, the major difference being that they don't believe that their deeds are judged by a higher being.
    According to them their actions and the consequences thereof share only a direct and visible link; the whole eternity prospect vanishes.
    Not saying that all differences apply to all theists by the way.

18. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Gotta agree with this. When you're brought up in a society with basic morals that are never questioned at all (ie DON'T KILL PEOPLE), you follow them and don't question them. It's sociological if anything, people don't do good things based on religion, they do them because they're "good", defined by what their culture and society as a whole dictates "good" to be.

19. childofturin Why?

I'm an atheist, and I have some pretty strong morals. My overarching philosophy is to try to leave the world in better shape than I entered it. Sounds trite, but it works, and covers all the bases. I believe that science can and will, in time, provide all the answers that religion cannot, and give better answers than the limited ones religion does provide. And most of the atheists I've met feel about the same. The vast majority of atheists, in fact, feel much the same, and are not *******s.

20. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Well, from what I know, Atheists don't say "NOGODEVURLOLOLOL" but rather that if there is a god, they won't worship it/him/her/them.