ASMR

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by SushiKey, May 14, 2018.

1. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

A comment in the white noise thread gave me the idea to start a thread on ASMR, the technique of listening to audio with specific stimuli (known as 'triggers'), but also includes visual stimuli. This stimuli can cause a tingling sensation that can start at the scalp and go down the spine, and is said to help you sleep and relax.

Some examples of triggers include, but are not limited to:
    • Whispering closely into a microphone, either into one microphone, or two microphones to create a binaurual effect
    • A person's accent, usually softer ones
    • Crinkling of surfaces such as paper or plastic
    • Tapping on hollow, metal, or large objects quietly
    • Our own KHV user, Trigger
    What are your thoughts on ASMR, and who are your favorite ASMR creators?

2. Mish smiley day!

I listen to ASMR to help me to relax most nights.

I love -
    • Tapping
    • Breathing
    • Stroking
    • Hand movements
    • Mouth sounds
    .. among others. I'm subscribed to a few (or, more accurately, a lot of..) youtubers, including Heather Feather, Gibi, MassageASMR, asmr zeitgeist, hatomugi asmr, Tingting ASMR and Obviously ASMR. Those are the ones I would recommend but there are tons of good ones out there.

3. Patman Bof

I discovered one of my triggers pretty early on, long before ASMR became a thing on the internet. There was this commercial on TV where a woman was getting a massage, it would give me tingles everytime I'd catch it. My main triggers are massages and anything new-agey. Energy healing, reiki, pranic healing, you name it. Which is weird because I don't believe for a second in any of that stuff. The more common triggers listed in the OP can work on me too, to a lesser extent.

I have a whole playlist of ASMR vids on my computer but most of them aren't from ASMR dedicated channels, they're accidental. Those that are made with ASMR in mind tend to overdo it, and they're often awkwardly acted and/or heavily edited, which gets me out of it.

4. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

I especially like Gibi, because she's an anime lover and a gamer. C:

One channel I really like is Jojo's ASMR. He's been one of only a few channels that have been able to make me feel tingles recently.

5. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

I have a little experience in ASMR but it's not really something I get into so much as am intrigued by it. I was first introduced by a video on youtube that was a sort of....adult ASMR? Adult as in forbidden things were said and implied,but it was somehow still on youtube. It's gone now, but it got me intrigued because, I mean, why did my neck hair stand up? Why did I feel a tingling? Questions I found out by doing research and enjoying some nice ASMR videos. Unfortunately, it was ruined for me when I found one with a black lady in it. She was eating church's chicken and just....it annoyed me?

She kept stirring her stupid tea over and over and it just ruined my whole experience and I've been turned off of it ever since. It makes me mad, too, since I enjoyed going into it now and again. It made me feel so much better, but she just absolutely ruined it for me.

Went back on youtube and was reminded of something. I actually think my first ASMR was an audio file on tumblr, way back in 2010! It was a very pleasant one, too. Just a haircutting, but I could totally feel my hair was getting cut, even if it was just through sound. Such an odd feeling when I came back to reality and realized I still had all my hair, lol.

6. cstar stay away from my waifu

I don't actually know how I missed an entire talk about ASMR but I've been listening to it for years!

Um... 5 years actually. But what I didn't realize was that I've enjoyed the feeling of ASMR for years before I knew what it was. So before I found ASMR I found myself watching unboxing videos because the sounds made me feel really relaxed. I watched makeup tutorials before that for the same feeling. The earliest memory of any "tingles" I can think of is 6th grade, when my math teacher would put on these video math tutorials for us and the instructor in the videos would click his tongue I think? (Maybe it was a lip smack I don't know). I would get excited for the tutorials because of how relaxed I felt... don't remember learning anything else though. Might be why math classes put me to sleep now actually.

Here are some of my personal favorite channels/videos that I sometimes go back to regularly.

Heather Feather (she doesn't really post as much anymore, i believe it's irl stuff. here's her sksk video)

Goodnight Moon (she has a fantasy style series on her channel with her own world and characters, here's the first one of her's I found.)

Ephemeral Rift (his stuff is a little out there and might wig someone out who might not be into the concepts. here's one of his more relaxed concepts. but it has eating sounds if you don't like that!)

FredsVoice ASMR (I love his stuff but his channel has kind of begun to be consumed by the 'rude english gentleman' character he plays, so if you don't like being talked down to, I understand. There's also some videos for helping with asmr immunity which I don't think I've gotten yet but they might be helpful for someone.)

yanghaiying (I really like her stuff because of how... unpolished it is. I know a lot of people like background noise taken away and keeping it polished. but I really like how these videos flow. here's my favorite of her's though warning there is a random phone ring at 8:56 so if you get super relaxed and that makes you jump I'm sorry)

Anyway, I don't actually know if I have specific triggers but I definitely know when the ASMRtist gets all up in my left ear it works. I don't know why my left ear yet and I may never know. I find myself more into the RP ones because it distracts me from my thoughts and helps me sleep a lot more. I guess I like paper sounds, but not overwhelmingly so.

7. reddy Moogle Assistant

I'm not into voice ASMR but I'm into Slime ASMR? Where people basically just play with slimes and you hear the slime sounds being squished. Anyone else into those videos?