358/2 Days Are these official? And in English?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by phoenixkh93, Mar 2, 2012.

1. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

Browsing Amazon I noticed the first two volumes of the 358/2 manga. Very exciting and all but I remember the incident last year or so when I saw the next 3 volumes of the KHII manga up for sale and instantly bought them. When they arrived, they were all in German :( Anyway point is I can't see anything anywhere on the product to indicate what language it is in, and there are no user reviews.
    I'm not even sure if they're official. Anybody know, or know of a way to find out before I buy them?

2. Llave Superless Moderator

I am honestly unsure if the 358/2 Days and the Birth by Sleep manga are even translated into another language yet. You think SE is slow with coming out with games, the manga beats it at being slower.

All I know of English volumes are the four mini volumes of KH1, the two CoM volumes, and two out of the five KHII novels. If you have all of those, they are about as much as you'll get. Unless you read manga online, I know they have a bit of the 358/2 Days translated.

3. Krowley Moderator

Further translation to English and publication in the United States has been postponed—no release is currently planned for Kingdom Hearts II volumes 3, 4, and 5, or for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. This is due to Tokyopop having lost the license to the manga. Disney and Square Enix have made no public comment on the future of the manga series.

While it is official (Being the 4th Volume) it is only translated in Online Manga sites.

4. Llave Superless Moderator

Define lost. Lost as in no longer possessing the rights to publish, or they literally lost it?

5. Krowley Moderator

Lost as in Expired. I doubt TokyoPop is that careless XP

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I think they no longer have the right to publish it.

I think there was a volume or two of Days that got published in English, but I'm not really too sure. I know they they did publish Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, and some of Kingdom Hearts 2.

It doesn't really matter anyway. Tokyopop shut down in the United States last summer.

7. Krowley Moderator

Again, It was translated only online.
    These publications are planned to be translated (Because Disney is from the U.S.) but not for some time until a publisher picks up the license and resumes.

8. Llave Superless Moderator

They shut down?! How did that happen?

If anyone could translate it in English, I'd say Shonen Jump. I mean, they already have Kingdom Hearts reviews and such in their Japanese publications. What's not to say they can't do the novels if they get the rights to publish?

9. Misty gimme kiss

I'm uncertain if they shut down entirely (others would know better than me), but I did hear they were dropping a serious number of their series, and only hanging on to the very best selling ones. I believe Kingdom Hearts was one of the ones that got the axe.

10. Labrys King's Apprentice

They do?! :0 Which article?

11. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

I think he's referring to
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/tokyopop-to-close-north-american-publishing-division

Basically what happened after that is any manga they had licensed (including KH) went back to their respective owners, so that they could license them to other companies. But like Krowley mentioned, I don't think Square/Disney have given the rights to another North American publisher yet to even start distributing them in English again. God knows when that will be.

12. Mysty Unknown

Gasp! I just found out they weren't doing the rest of the KH manga. I am really sad now. I was really looking forward to getting the 358/2 Days manga. I guess this would also explain why volumes 3 4 and 5 never came out in English.

13. Cutsceneaddict Traverse Town Homebody

They are official, just not in English. As far as I can tell, there are no plans to officially translate and sell them here. They can be imported (as many fans choose to do) but if you can't read Japanese, you'll just be holding onto them as collectors items.

There may be fan trasnlations/scans available online, but I've never searched for them so I'm not sure.

14. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

For me, I think the people who sold the manga probably stole it from the company and sold it in their own language.

15. Cherry Berry Chaser

I'm pretty sure there is a portion of 358/2 days that is translated... As you have said so yourself, online. They never did finish the volumes of KHII (to my knowledge), which is actually such a big shame, considering how many years it's been since the game itself had come out.

But guys, Llave is right. SE are notorious for being slow with games... And even slower with manga.
    I doubt they have anything on Birth By Sleep just yet... But give it a few years (considering the world doesn't end on 2015 this time), it'll pop up on the net.

16. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

If they got out before the American comics did, I don't think they would be official--would they?