Dream Drop Distance Are any of you taking the trailer seriously?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue' started by Shinichi Izumi, May 9, 2011.

1. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

okay,
    i know what all of you though when we got the trailer that we got BIG, BIG info on kh 3D
    however,
    after this:

[video=youtube;4Twe410Qk-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Twe410Qk-w&feature=player_embedded[/video]

and this:

[video=youtube;Xg2YvpO4tw0]youtube.com/watch?v=Xg2YvpO4tw0[/video]

ive been doubting we should take it seriously...

2. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I think we should be taking the trailer seriously, I don't see why you think we shouldn't? Explain more. If it's because some things are different then shown in the trailers you've spoiler tagged I think it's because those are beta trailers for bbs and kingdom hearts? I'm unsure though.

3. Patman Bof

All of SquareEnix trailers shouldn' t be taken too seriously. Let' s not forget that one too :
    [video=youtube;k125BfJ4lac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k125BfJ4lac[/video]
    Sure, it' s pretty, Lightning fighting an army of ennemies all by herself while jumping everywhere looks super nice, but can the player actually do all of that just by choosing actions in a menu ? That' s what I wondered as soon as I saw that trailer. As it turned out, no, he can' t.

The FFVsXIII latest trailer featured a teleporting Noctis, but Nomura later said that he' s unsure if Noctis will actually be able to do that in the final product. He' d like him to do so, the concept seems wicked on paper, but it' s hard to actually implement in a gameplay : if the player doesn' t even know where Noctis will appear he' ll have no way to plan a precise action or combo. Even worse, the whole thing could backfire on the player (if the enemies adapt their behavior to Noctis new position quicker than the player), so the teleporting concept as a whole would be utterly useless.

I get the same feeling when I watch the KH DDD trailer : Sora jumping, gliding, looping and waltzing here and there using the background to do so seems über cool, but is all of that really playable, or is that really a cutscene disguised as gameplay footage meant to give a glimpse of the "bold action" that Nomura hopes to achieve ?

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I think it's mainly because these are just the first versions of the game, sure it'll go through a lot of changes- some of the scenes may not be in there but it'll still have the same idea. For example, in the BBS one, they just never went to that part of Radient Garden but the scene still happened somewhere else. Yes it is subject to change but it's all we have to go on at the moment so I will trust it until said otherwise. Most likely it will change, they will attempt to make it better so just hope for improvements but we shouldn't just disgard the entire thing.

5. Misty gimme kiss

I wouldn't necessarily say it's Nomura's fault; the KH trailers you showed before were just early versions of the game. Mock ups, if you will. They were intended to create hype before they had anything real to show.

The FFXIII trailer I think is a bit different; didn't that come out years ago? When they didn't really know what the PS3 was capable of? It was extremely ambitious, and certainly did make hype for the game. I've never played the game so I can't speak for gameplay, but the graphics & character concept look similar if not the same. So that's at least one thing.

As for KH3D, belonging to the already established KH storyline, I doubt there's much that they can easily change about it. With KH1, it was something completely new, hence why the beta was so wildly different from the actual game. With BBS, some major points are pretty similar, are they not? Little details get changed along the way, such is the development process. But that doesn't mean the trailer isn't an indicator.

6. Krowley Moderator

Trailers are never finalized.
    The final product is obviously going to change (Most of the time for the better)

7. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

On the same note, Riku's wall jump move in the alley was stated to be going to be removed in the final product because the playtesters couldn't control it properly, only the devs.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The KH1 trailer was surprisingly accurate when you consider how early that was in production. I mean just look at the models used. If they were any more basic it would be hard to grasp the cut-scene well. Obviously basic gameplay had been ironed out, but the puppeteering for the cut-scenes was still rather early. Any developer that didn't change things as they went would be pretty crappy if you ask me.

The BBS one, many of those scenes did take place, but in different areas since not all the levels were done, but they could use maps from earlier games. And those that didn't end up in the final game at all were likely for good reason. For example it seems that they were going to end Ven's story short to fuel Terra's ending. As good as that might of worked if it was a movie it doesn't stack up as a game.

As for the 3D trailer. Will there be changes? Most likely. They have said that the shown super-moves are still work in progress. Riku's wall jumping was noted as being particularly hard to control with only the head of the team that built that piece being able to control it at the time they recorded the trailer. One plus though is that they are being vague. I mean Square loves to show off the world line up in trailers but this one shows what 3? Islands, Traverse, and what is believed to be Notre Dame? We still know basically nothing of the plot-line. I mean it seems to have been made pretty conservatively, the first third of it is just cut-scenes from other games.

9. Patman Bof

Yes, it was released years ago. The graphics and backgrounds are indeed similar to those of the actual game. To the letter. However we could see Lightning in backgrounds that she never gets to see in the game, ie the Sun' leth coast (which I can totally understand, they didn' t want to reveal any character but Lightning at that time) and the gameplay looked much more epic than the one we ended up with.
    For a full analysis by Motomu Toriyama himself of what went wrong or right between the moment that trailer was released and the moment the game was released see here : /Exclusive_Behind_The_Scenes_Of_Square_Enixs_Final_Fantasy_XIII.php

My main concern about SquareEnix trailers is that they shouldn' t show any cinematic disguised as gameplay footage if there isn' t any real gameplay to show, that' s just dumb, unless of course they actually want players to feel cheated in the end.
    At least Nomura had the intellectual honesty to say that all the VsXIII gameplay footage revealed had been massively tempered with. He said nothing of that sort concerning the DDD trailer so maybe the gameplay shown in that trailer is the real deal.
    If in KH DDD the player can really glide, then bounce from wall to wall for 10 seconds, grab a lampost, twirl around, jump and finally smash his keyblade to the ground then bravo Nomura. It doesn' t look as hard to implement as what was shown in the FFXIII trailer would have been, but it doesn' t seem easy to implement either (maybe we' ll just have to mash the triangle button until we' re satisfied with our position and press X to attack).

Urgh ... That' s exactly what I feared.

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I never heard removed. Just that it needed more calibration to make it widely playable.

11. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Ah, okay. That makes a bit more sense. Even so, it sounds like they're just going to end up taking it out if it ends up needing too much tweaking. Maybe it'll just end up being dummied for use in DLC if there ends up being any.

12. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

Sorta. There are a few things, however, I'm NOT really taking seriously:
    Sora and Riku's Clothing
    The return of the Heartless
    Xemnas and Ansem appearing in Traverse town.
    The rest I take with seriousness.

13. SideSwape Merlin's Housekeeper

Wi'll probably just hafto wait and see...

14. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I've both removed and calibrated. I wish I knew which one was right. I mean, I think it was a few weeks before E3 that they said that the game wouldn't hold what we see in the game because it was just too hard to put in and control.

But I think we can take it somewhat seriously. The general plots of the games are in the trailers, the scenes and stuff are just different because it's a beta. Things change while in development.

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

What do you mean by this? They've been around in every game.

16. The Graceful Assassin It's Just Like Christmas Morning

Eh, it looks good so far, but who knows what Nomura will change. Like, watch Traverse Town be completely cut from the game.

17. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I don't think they'd take Traverse Town out. That's supposed to actually be apart of the game

18. Llave Superless Moderator

Well what i can take from early trailers are:

-Don't expect the cutscenes to be set in stone, they may be the same, but a little different.
    -worlds are almost always going to be in there for sure, especially ones from previous games.
    -gameplay may be a little different.

So i wouldn't say the early trailers are the thing for sure, just a taste of what is to come. (One way or another.)