Apparently...

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Anixe, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Nickelodeon has the balls right now to air The Last Airbender movie.

Welp, I know what drinking game I'm playing tonight...

2. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

There's a movie?
    I think you're mistaken my child. There is no Last Airbender movie, but only a perfect animated series that will stand the test of time and who's reputation will never be soiled by an adaption.

3. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

If it's the movie I have of it, it SUCKED. Animated 4evah!

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

I loved the movie. It was awesome.

5. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

As someone who has seen clips of the movie and a few episodes of the show (I find the show okay), I'm genuinely curious why you say this. I've seen plenty of reviews, but most of them are people who love the show to death.

Bonus point to anyone who can critique this movie, whether you like it or hate it, WITHOUT referencing the series (a movie should stand on it's own, not the source it came from).

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm just an odd guy. I like a lot of things a lot of people don't like, such as Justin Bieber's music.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

Thing is, the movie tried way too hard to be like the series. Instead of trying to do its own thing, it tried to cram in a whole season of episodes into a 100 minute movie (while obviously cutting some stuff away), so it's actually difficult to critique it on its own. Would you critique The Hobbit or Lord of The Rings without referencing the books? What about Harry Potter? Would you critique video game movies or comic book movies without talking about the source material?
    It's not in a way to put down the adaption, but a way to compare.

But now, if I did critique it on its own, the movie is horribly paced, the characters are boring most of which were poorly acted (Except for a few ones. The guy who played Iroh was cool), and the choreography was just painful to look at. OH LOOK, I'M TURNING THE CAMERA AROUND THE BATTLE WHILE KEEPING IT IN SLOW-MOTION. ISN'T THIS EXCITING.
    Worst thing is though, it's all exposition and no character development. For a story that's known for its extremely well written characters, the movie spends most of its time giving exposition, and the rest is action.

But anyway, that's just my opinion on the movie. I'm not going to hate on someone for liking it, but it was pretty unbearable for me.

8. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Basically it was shallow writing, bad delivery of the lines, pacing was rushed to death, camera shots were often without direction and/or confusing as to what point (both literal perspective and story-telling) was being shown, the lighting wasn't there, and special effects were mediocre. I admit that the costumes were good. But that's really it.

And I agree on that a movie should stand alone from its source material. I used to be a big fan of the series, sorta losing interest with the second series. But nevertheless, I appreciated the show for what it does to bring together Eastern concepts, visuals, and somewhat philosophical morals into a Western audience for kids. Now I actually, and I'll be brave to say this, didn't mind the "race-bending" part of what Shyamalan did as much as die-hard fans did. I mean, if people are giving these actors portraying the characters bad rep, shouldn't we have to do the same to cosplayers who are also portraying the same characters and are of a different ethnicity? I gave the movie that chance of being color-blind, but it inevitably blew it like a bull in a china shop with the above of what I just said. Retrospectively, the casting is quite embarrassing, as well as being offensive.

9. 61 No. B

ha

That's funny considering it changes so much unnecessarily. But yeah, I get what you're saying and agree. It should have been a separate adventure loosely tying into the series.

The entire thing is an abomination and should be forgotten.