Anyone know of good free messaging apps?

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Llave, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Llave Superless Moderator

Long story short, I bought an ipod touch 5th gen off of amazon because I basically wanted a smartphone only it not actually being an iphone???? (does that make sense? basically I dont want to have to use 3G or 4G and service contracts etc to be able to be mobile and message people when wi-fi exists.)

So things like Whatsapp i think is only available for phones. I will be able to iMessage and skype on it so all u iOS peeps betta watch yoselvs. But i was wondering if anyone knew of something else that I could get off the app store and use for basically everyone other than skype as an SMS alternative.

2. Hayabusa Venomous

I used to use Handcent but just switched back to the default Droid RAZR Maxx app since Handcent was having issues with group messaging all of a sudden. If your friends use it, Line is fine.

Though, I speak as a non-Apple user, soooooooo

3. Plums Wakanda Forever

LINE is free and pretty good; let's you have group messages, do calls (might be limited to voice tho, I've never tried it out), and isn't much of a battery hog.

4. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

LINE, Kik, Whatsapp

5. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Why? If you don't mind me asking.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

He isn't about the system, it's bringing us down mannnn

7. Misty gimme kiss

Whatsapp was alright when I used it.
    I use Hangouts as my SMS app, I'm pretty sure it can be used as a messaging app.
    I use GroupMe for work, not my choice but it does let people with dumbphones / without the app to still receive the group messages (albeit with some limited functionality).
    Facebook Messenger is nice because everyone has a Facebook but also not everyone has Facebook.

8. Llave Superless Moderator

Because none of the family phone contracts are in my name. Its easier to have something I can outright buy instead of always having a plan and limitation with monthly bills just because it exists.

Its pretty much an iPhone without the hassle but its obviously not as roaming convenient. Idk thats just me bruh.

9. What? 『 music is freedom 』

LINE is very nice and comes with cute stickers. +1

10. Llave Superless Moderator

my iNot phone will be in my arms by Thursday. it pays to have money aint nothin gonna break my stride.

thank you for suggestions peeps. (and most of y'all expect me to start bugging you more often now because of this >3c )

11. jafar custom title

i was gonna say line, but i assumed nobody uses it. this has changed my mind. everyone give me your usernames so i can bug you constantly with cute emotes.

also you could buy a used iphone and insert your own sim card. it would be around the same price.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  12. 61 No. B

i want to talk to peopl too

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

There's this really simple messaging feature I found a while back; apparently about every cell phone in the past ten years has come with it pre-installed! It's called "texting," I think, and it works surprisingly well~

14. Misty gimme kiss

You have to pay / have a service plan to text. Messaging apps are good if you have international friends.

15. C This silence is mine

whatsapp is aight.