Dream Drop Distance Am I the only one who doesn't like Micky in the box art?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue' started by Shikou, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

I don't know why but the box art looks a little awkward with him in the box art. I don't mind or hate the box art it just looks a little awkward... When Nomura said he will change the box art (I forgot what reason it was) I thought he would remove Micky from the box art, that was my first guess :/
    Here is version 1
    And here is version 2
    I don't know why but version 2 would have looked a lot better if Micky wasn't in it and a mirror image of Sora flipped.
    I might get a little hate for this thread but I just want to see if anyone else thinks the addition of Micky is unnecessary this time around.
    Sorry if this sounds like Im bashing or hating on the box art but in all honesty like I said before, I dont mind it nor I hate it. This is just something thats been poking me for a while x_x

2. Misty gimme kiss

Well, it's sort of like the people who say that Kingdom Hearts needs to move away from Disney and develop darker undertones: what do you expect, the game is half-Disney. They're of course going to put who is perhaps DIsney's most iconic character on the cover, to let people know this is a Disney game.

Furthermore, Mickey has symbolic significance there, does he not? I only know minimal details of Dream Drop Distance but Sora falling and Mickey reaching to him implies that Mickey will try to save Sora from whatever terrible fate he encounters... and will possibly fail.

3. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

Mickey ,if not appear directly in the game, must be a guide for Sora & Riku, he was the one that send that letter to them for the Master's exam. I agree with Misty... even though the game is developing it's own story we must know that it is a disney game, even in 358/2 he appears at the cover.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

He has undeniable significance in all of the games, especially this one, but he does look a little...awkward? Maybe they coulda changed his angle a little...I dunno.

5. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

I actually happen to like the second box art design better. Probably because I'm used to seeing Sora directed upwards or towards light. Then again, the first box art matches the sub-title: Darkness comes to light and light falls into darkness.

6. Willis Traverse Town Homebody

I actually really like the box art. While like the coloration of the 2nd one, I do prefer the 1st version. And what Misty said makes perfect sense to me.

7. MAtgS Merlin's Housekeeper

It did kinda strike as odd in BBS where he's the only non-playable character on on the box, especially when he could totally have a plausible scenario.

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, he was pretty vital to the overall plot of BbS (what with his incorporation into all three characters' stories), but making him a totally playable character just wouldn't feel right for me.

He's meant to be there to encourage you in KH2 (aside from his saving you in certain boss battles) and CoM/Re:CoM, and this game is going to be pretty vital when it comes to him helping the characters further as Keyblade Master(s). KHIII may prove to be a good time to make him a playable character, but I don't think it would be right at the moment.

9. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

No hate towards you :) we all have our opinions.
    Personally I really like having him on the box art, but that may be because I really like Mickey Mouse Xp.
    However, Misty definitely has a point. Mickey does have a strong symbolic significance. Yes, he represents the Disney aspect of the game, but he also, as Menos said, "he was the one that sent that letter to them for the Master's exam." So I suppose that since he was the one that mentioned sending them to the exam, he would feel a bit responsible if anything were to happen to Sora.....therefore "reaching" for him to save him from a horrible fate.
    Kind of like a foreshadow right on the cover :P

10. Misty gimme kiss

I get that impression from a lot of the Kingdom Hearts artwork (particularly the Birth by Sleep covers, egads), but not really this one. He's at least interacting with the other characters--in others it just seems like they shoved a bunch of different cutouts of the characters together.

11. Skygazelily Merlin's Housekeeper

His disney-cartoon style is a throw-off compared to the rest of the picture, but he's always in the cover-arts anyway, so I don't mind.

I do find Version 2 silly though. I liked it better where it was he and Sora falling with Riku rising. Flipped, it looks a little awkward.

12. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

I don't really have a problem with Mickey. He fits in just fine for me, and like what most are saying, he has a significant part in the story and it's symbolic. :))
    The second version really is awkward, just look at Sora's hood. And the whole message of it got ruined with the flipping.. I find it kinda lazy too that they just flipped it over, but I do looove the color of the background :D