all video games should replace easy/normal/hard

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Nate_River, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

With a slider that you can increase or decrease to find the right level of difficulty vs fun

Increased difficulty would mean more incoming damage, less outgoing damage and less item drops, and decreased difficulty would mean less incoming damage, more outgoing damage and more frequent item drops.

Bosses would have a set ability pool and the slider would be divided into brackets, then based on the bracket, each boss would use certain abilities.

2. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

No.

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

[​IMG]

He's smiling because you just described his game

4. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Okay, I'll rephrase. Challenge vs beating your head against a wall for three hours, getting nowhere and calling it a challenge.

5. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I do not see what the difference is.

6. A Zebra Chaser

It's an alright idea, but it relies on the most artificial means of difficulty, by simply altering stats
    Kid Icarus goes a step beyond, giving you new enemy formations and secret doors and such, but those all rely on you beign beyond a certain threshold to activate anyways, so it might as well be a difficulty level anyways
    Linking high item drops with lower difficulty doesn't really seem right though, there needs to be SOME incentive to play on higher difficulty. Re:Coded style where you can do stuff like increase your enemy's HP to increase the drop rate, or reduce your EXP gained to boost CP gained, that's an interesting concept
    But difficulty levels give the developer a LOT more control over forging a solid experience around the intended difficulty curve. In theory, at least

7. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Then jack the theoretical slider all the way up?

8. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

But what if it slides back down?

9. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Use some sticky tape.

10. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I don't know if that's safe.

11. 61 No. B

[​IMG]
    its safe for photos
    and its made in the star-spangled usa. thats gotta count for something
    and i bought some of it the other day and have yet to mortally wound myself. i give it my safety seal of approval

12. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I guess they should package this with Nate's envisioned game.

13. Jube Formerly Chuck's

Just do what God Hand does.
    If you suck ass then the game gets easier
    If the you're good then the game gets harder.

14. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

LEVEL DIE[DOUBLEPOST=1406699233][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Don't think you know what artificial difficulty means, yo. At least, by what you're saying here I'm not quite sure you do. Like, I get that perfect difficulty involved giving enemies new tactics and increasing their aggressiveness, but I wouldn't put stat boosts under artificial difficulty, because those actually make the game harder.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  15. A Zebra Chaser

It makes it harder in an artificial way. The game has to be designed around a certain expected damage output, just increasing numbers isn't true difficulty. I mean, increasing the damage enemies do kinda is, but none of the other ones, that's just stretching the battles/whatever out and saying it's harder
    On the damage increase thing though, just saying "well now enemies hit three times harder!" while that is making it HARDER, it's the laziest kind. That's the difficulty that avoiding optional upgrades in games gives you. It's very cheap. That's why I call it artificial

16. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I agree it's lazy, but that's not artificial difficulty. Making a battle longer by just up'ing health is, but saying that's artificial difficulty would mean DOOM's Ultraviolent Mode is artificial, or Halo's Heroic Difficulty (the way it's meant to be played) is artificial. Like, I get what you're saying now, but that's not artificial difficulty. If you choose to think it is, whatever, but the issue is that it suddenly makes every situation a major case by case basis as to how the game played on normal vs how it played on hard. It makes EVERYTHING walk a fine line. Artificial difficulty is usually reserved more for the illusion of difficulty- something made to appear difficult and test your patience, but isn't difficult to actually execute- it's just annoying.

17. C This silence is mine

Item drop rate being decided by difficulty settings is a terrible idea if you ask me. All it does is potentially making games more tedious.

18. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

God, imagine that in a game that's combat is as crap as console Skyrim. Clearly it would need to be designed around that difficulty reward entirely. I think Kid Icarus: Uprising did that best by making it so you just get more money by doing a level on a high difficulty.

19. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Sorry, it's a DLC pack that will release on Xbox about a month before PC and ps4

20. libregkd -

Attached Files: