Alcohol

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Johnny Bravo, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Johnny Bravo Chaser

What is your take on useage or comsumtion of alcohol? For it? against it? do you drink? Place opinions here.
    I think it is fine as long as youre not getting drunk super bad, and if you are going to get super drunk at least plan ahead.

2. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

I think it's stupid
    Alcohol is a POISON, why don't drinkers get that? It's going to kill them. They'd risk their life just to taste a drink? Drinking alcohol should be illegal, and I most certainly do not drink.

3. The Fuk? Dead

It's fine in moderation. It reduces stress and doesn't add more than it reduces if you don't go overboard. I used to drink. I still do, but I used to too.

4. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

First of all, it's against my religion to drink alcohol. Second, even if I didn't follow a religion that was against alcohol, I would still avoid it at all costs like I do with smoking, because like smoking, I consider alcohol a social evil. But I'm not going to force or even persuade people not to drink. Just don't get me involved is all I'm saying.

5. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Oh the irony of your username.

I personally believe alcohol is fine, so long as you do it in moderation and do not let it harm yourself or others. There's a difference between drinking yourself into a stupor and having the occasional drink. I've had a few drinks with my friends before and I think it's a great way to relax and have some fun if it isn't being done in excess and around people that you know well.

6. muff monkey Twilight Town Denizen

I really enjoy drinking, though in moderation. A few years ago, I used to get sloppy drunk nearly every other night, to the point where I'd black out and not remember a single thing that happened, except for of course my friends trying to take the bottle out of my hand and me refusing. I've stopped doing that, and I've become more of a social drinker, where I have like one - four wine coolers while hanging out with people, or anything along the lines of wine coolers, where it's just a fruity drink and the alcohol is minimum.

I definitely don't have a problem with other people drinking. It's relaxing. I'll be honest, though, I don't much like when people drink to get drunk, because I used to be that person and it was awful. But if they want to, I'll let them.

And also...we risk our lives every day getting behind the wheel of a car. So why shouldn't we risk our lives doing something that makes us feel pretty good?

7. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    You consider it a social evil BECAUSE you follow a religion that tells you that, so your opinion is biased regardless im afraid, just sayin'.

I don't drink, by choice, my uncle died of liver poisoning due to over consumption and well that's just not bueno. Alcohol is perfectly fine in moderation, if relieves many pressures and allows people to unwind, todays society over indulges in such pleasures and that's what causes the terrible behaviour you see around the world, people want a good time, but don't know when they've had too much, knowing ones limits is keys to enjoying a good night out with alcohol involved.

In a recreational sense alcohol is key to giving people the edge they need to be adventurous and take risks that they love or regret for a life time, choices of the soul, we make them and learn from them, take from them what you will.

In a relaxing social sense of alcohol i.e the french having wine with dinner, it's stimulating to the brain and can heighten senses and have people enjoying life a lot easier.

It's much less worse than smoking, that's for sure, and it isn't a social evil, society is just stupid and doesn't know their limits.

8. Misty gimme kiss

To use the icky term for things, I am straight edge. It varies from person to person what exactly that encompasses, but for me, abstaining from drinking, smoking, recreational drugs, and promiscuous sexual behavior. That's just a classification, though--I don't necessarily associate myself with the subculture or agree with all its values or anything like that. Just that that's the term applied. I have personal reasons for being this way, both out of experiences and just natural disposition... and frankly the idea of putting something in my body that will significantly alter my neural functioning skeeves me a bit. So, no, I don't drink. Just don't think it's for me.

My stance on alcohol does create some issues in social situations and relationships, though. I don't mind people who casually drink, but I can't stand when people go out and get smashed on a regular basis, and later tout it as some badge of honor. Really I don't mind if it's something you do, but if you're allowing the stuff in your cup become a part of who you are, I have a problem. I can be a little uptight about this, I admit, but I don't think it's that wrong to want to surround myself with people who have similar values, or at the very least, who will respect mine, nor to want to be in social situations that I am comfortable in.

9. jafar custom title

No, it should stay legal. People should have the right to treat their body the way they want to. I believe every drug should be legalized for that very reason.

10. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Smoking isn't against my religion, and I consider that a social evil just as much as alcohol. So I'm biased how again??

11. jafar custom title

Because the religion is an influence on your perspective, irregardless of what your religion specifically says. Nobody follows their religion to a tee.
    Anyways, to bring this back on topic, it saddens me when people who believe it is personally wrong to do drugs and try to force their opinions into the law. Not everybody shares the same perspective that "drugs are sinnn" or whatever. The law is no longer about what is right or wrong, but about religious morals at that point.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that the last time we illegalized alcohol in the USA, things went pretty nasty. Bootlegging, speak-easys, everything. The Prohibition Era did not work. So it wouldn't work now, and it certainly doesn't work with any other drugs.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't personally drink alcohol nor smoke, but I don't mind if other people do, as long as it's done in moderation and they use their head, such as having someone that isn't intoxicated drive them home.

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I think you misunderstood me. But my point was that even if I followed a religion that wasn't against alcohol, this is what I would've thought of alcohol:

So basically, I consider anything that has led to human death bad. And yes, I hate drugs. Call me stupid or whatever, I don't care.
    Btw, I also consider weapons, especially guns, socially evil, and my religion is always called the "terrorist" religion :/

14. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Drinking is something I try to avoid, at least since the passing of last summer, and I've been doing it well enough to, but there are a few times where, well, temptation got the better of me and some of you have seen the results.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with alcohol, so long as it's used in moderation. You definitely become different under the influence.

15. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Under your maxim, everything has the potential to be bad. Oh these scissors can cut my throat. They're evil! Oh this plastic bag can suffocate me. Bad! Hell I could go to the extreme and say that simply living is bad because you will eventually die. You must take into account that the purpose of alcohol isn't to kill. It is only capable of killing in excessive amounts which is why most of us here suggest moderation if you ever plan to drink. There are even benefits that come from drinking moderately. As mentioned before, it can help people relax and reduce stress. But that isn't the only thing. Lots of medical evidence suggests that there is a link between moderate drinking and a reduced risk of heart disease.

16. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Okay, I shouldn't have used the word "anything". My bad. I only meant stuff that I hear a lot about. Would you say I've been influenced heavily by the media. I guess. But regardless, my stance remains unchanged.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I absolutely agree that alcohol does have some use in the medical field. For example, you said it can help lower the risk of heart disease. I won't deny that. And lots of the things I call social evils do have good uses I admit. It's just IMHO, the negative effects that come out out of them just aren't worth it, which is why I am against them.

17. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I drink. But here's the thing. I've been drinking since I was 18.

Now before you all go nutty on me, hear me out. My mother would only let me drink in my own home, and even then it would be maybe a shot of white zinfandel wine, which would then be smothered in a can of Sprite or Sierra Mist. There wasn't even enough alcohol in that drink to use as a mouthwash.

I did this for years, and I only ever did it once every two weeks or so, if I was home because at the time I was still going to college and worked on campus. By the time I turned 21 (the legal drinking age here) I was like, "OK, I can have something stronger...." But I didn't. I still made wine coolers like I did when I was younger. I only had a drink as a treat, maybe once or twice a month. My standby drink is still the cooler, or occasionally a rum and coke (made almost the same way).

If/when I drink (now that I'm 24), I only do so for the flavor. I don't want to get smashed, or so drunk it makes me sick. That's not fun. Everyone thinks I have a high limit, but the truth is I don't know what my limit is, I've never tried to push it. I'm too scared to. I'll only have one drink, and that's enough. If I'm out somewhere, I'll order one drink, and if I'm still thirsty I ask for water. At home, I'll mix something, but I'll use very little alcohol, and mask the rest of it with soda or some other flavor (like a non-alcoholic mixer).

Two weekends ago I went to a party, and did two jello shots (or so they were called, but the way the person had made them was she made jello into shapes, put them in a pan, poured vodka into the pan, and let the shapes soak it up while they were in the freezer) and a watermelon 'rita (made with vodka since we were out of tequila). That's the most I've ever had to drink in one sitting. I was fine, but there was still a bit of me that said "Watch it." So I listened. That makes all the difference, I think: listening to your body.

18. SORA! Gummi Ship Junkie

I think Alcohol is fine,personally. Just as long as its is done in moderation.

Im 18 (Legal in the UK) and I turned so last november and since then I have gone out to the local uni bar with my ex boyfriend three times,these are the only times i have EVER been drunk,some people dont like being drunk,and that fine, I enjoy myself more when Im drunk,or so ive been told, Im usually a responsible person and dont like to do much but with a drink Im alot more fun. Ive only had one bad experience and that was the last time I was at the Uni,I fell in a puddle and was sick when I got home,through no ones fault but my own,I didnt realise how much Id had to drink,but I am an adult now and can make these choices.

You can go out and have a good time without a drink though some people like a social drink. I have also had a few of these with friends and I didnt get drunk.

Acohol,I think is ok if you know your limit and dont drink at unreasonable times like during the week or everyday.

But its a personal choice so ...

19. Glen Returned from the dead

I've been drinking since i was of legal age. I don't support people that drink just to get drunk, i drink because i like the taste of it. I've only ever truly been drunk once and that was because a friend of mine spiked my drink.

So, i'm kinda for it more than against it, but it's the person's choice i guess.

20. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

I drink socially and to wind down from shitty days. I do drink for fun, but never to get drunk. If I plan on getting drunk, I do it in the comfort of my home, or my friends home, and don't plan on leaving till the next day. I know my limits, and know when to stop. And I honestly think that for the people that want to ban and make alcohol and drugs illegal, lets go ahead and make Mcdonalds and Burger King and all the other fast food places, and companies that make junk food illegal food, because I think Americans (which I am one) have more health problems from being over weight and other stuff. So yeah, that where I stand on that. Now, who wants a drink?