No Thanks Adding Reputation limit for Premium

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Noroz, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

I have seen that but I haven't seen enough of it to believe that it's the only thing people are repping. Also doesn't post count add to out popularity in search engines?

2. Misty gimme kiss

Let's not let this get personal, Chris. While Noroz is the one making the suggestion, clearly a number of members of the community are of similar belief.

At any rate, Chris does make a genuine point--most rep is distributed in the spam zone. Certainly not all, but a great deal of it. I don't agree that jokes and idle conversation contribute "nothing" to the site, however, and keeping the reputation requirement at something low and fairly accessible for people who frequent nearly any area of the site would mitigate this, would it not?

3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I have to kinda throw my hat in now that I've been mentioned, and I do agree with Christhor here. Personally, I've found that posting in the Discussion sections for years has not led me to have the same rep as people who post purely in the spam zone.
    The spam zone has the highest traffic of all sections, and as such exposure for posters there is higher then any other section, resulting in a higher likelihood of people repping posts there. It's a fairly accurate hypothesis I'd say, but without evidence.
    Anyway, I just don't see rep as a decent blockade to Premium unless postwhoring occurs on a larger scale then maybe the uncommon and rare occurences as it stadns now.

I partially agree to this. I do agree that a number of posts in the spam zone are rubbish and totally stupid, especially for getting rep for some of them. But then again it is the SPAM zone, posts that have no relevance or justification for being there have the right to be there. It is good to contain spam where it is, otherwise it might be more frequent in other parts of the forum.

4. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Which is why the rep requirement would start off small. 500 from the looks of it. If you had read the thread, you would've known this. Even Kam Sage who mostly posted in the Discussion section got 1000 rep before he started posting in the Spamzone. While rep is mostly used as a way to tell somebody that you think they're funny, it's also used for various other things. I've gotten rep for helping out people, making solid arguments and rebuttals in the Discussion section, making interesting theories in the KH sections and even something as simple as welcoming a member to the forum. While most of it is from the Spamzone, a fair amount is from the other sections and I think most members would be able to get 500 rep without even going near the Spamzone.

5. C This silence is mine

Personal? Was it the facist thing? That's just an old joke that builds on the fact that I have no idea what an actual facist is.

As stated, it does add to the fun factor, but it seems wrong for someone to be forced to post in the spam zone, making silly posts, just to get to premium. What if the person doesn't have a funny bone in the slightest, but does make genuinely great posts in the debate section? It's true, you could make it fairly low, so that people wouldn't have to rely on places such as the spam zone to get the rep needed, but... what would be the point then?

6. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

You're assuming that the person is incapable of gaining rep outside of the spamzone. If they're great contributors I'm sure you and fellow contributors will gladly rep this person for their contribution.

7. C This silence is mine

No I wouldn't, because outside of the spam zone I would rather read the intersesting discussion than think about something silly like rep. From what I can gather, most people are like this as well. Rep is silly, it's just a silly little thing that people use for fun, it should not be a factor in something like premzium. I reckon it should be revamped then.

8. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It dpends on the activity of members in that area of the form, the willingness of the members to give rep, the givers rep depends on the received.

I know Wheel of Time, not that well, but I've seen him in the Code Vault enough from time to time over the years. Now from what I've seen that he's posted many times and they have been of good quality, and any codes he's posted have contributed to many things over the but he's received extremely little reward for it.

This is clear evidence of the ineffectiveness of the rep system as a good judges to rank Premiumship since it is not based on the person's character or commitment to the forum, but more likely on other extraneous factors. It's not worth it at all.

You do realise how long a process that is? It took me 3 or 4 years to get that far. You do realise that some members now can get that in the spam zone in 6 months what took me octuple that amount of time? It just isn't a fair way, in my opinion, and in my experience.

9. Misty gimme kiss

I don't think it will at all. The reputation system is meant to motivate you to make "good" posts. Everyone has different definitions of good, of course. I find the most common reasons for repping people are making you laugh, making a detailed post, helping someone, having a solid/well-thought out argument, etc.

I went through the last forty reputation comments, breaking it down. Thirteen of them were from the Spam Zone (about 33%). The rest were scattered about the rest of the sections. So while the Spam Zone does account for a significant amount of rep, it's not nearly as concentrated as some seem to believe it.

If reputation were the sole Premium requirement then, I agree, it would be unfair. But clearly someone can't get Premium through just posting in the spam zone, and 1000 posts isn't easy to achieve.

10. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

Revamp rep? Meaning make it so that you have to have more meaning than laughing to give rep and make staff monitor all the rep given?

11. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Oh god no. That would over work the hell out of them.

12. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

I honestly don't see the purpose of adding this requirement, it will be exactly like before; people whore for rep, which really has been an increasing occurance lately. In a way, it'll be exactly like with posts, you can easily whore to get to the requirement.

13. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

Well that would mean more staff members being picked out of the applications but that post was mainly to show that staff is not going to revamp the rep system.

14. C This silence is mine

It is true, you can get rep from other contributing posts, but it is not the easiest way by any merit. Sammy is right, it would probably just lead to more rep whoring if people really needed the rep. Didn't we throw the "rep for prem" because rep is pointless and should be around just for fun?

Yeah, because that is the only way they could revamp the rep. Right? I meant change the whole system on a fundamental level. The rep system has become seriously broken due to inflation, that should be changed if something like this is going to be implemented.

15. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Yea, well the whole rep thing wouldn't work so much. I don't think people, at least in the area's I go, care enough to give rep. Some do, as I have gotten rep in the past, but most don't. I think this idea would be constricting some users who post a lot of meaningful and on topic posts, to having to run around the sight posting even more trying to find the people who are kind enough to take the time and read over there post giving them considerately much deserved rep. On the other hand, if people would take the three seconds to give rep to the posts they like instead of just moving on it might be okay, but that probably won't happen.

16. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

How so then?

17. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Let's just make the post requirement higher.

Or add another level.

18. Misty gimme kiss

This I don't ever want to do. It'll end up just being a tiered system, each rank will mean significantly less, ect.

19. C This silence is mine

I just told you how. The whole rep power deal would have to be reset, or at the very least, a lot more balanced. Because if we you would need 500 rep to become prem, then you would pretty much have to rely on the members who have been around here a long time. So then it's almost like the veteran members are the ones deciding who becomes prem and who doesn't. The rep system has been completely broken for ages, but since it hasn't had a function there was no reason to change it really, but if something like this is implemented, then it should.

20. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I agree, in a way. It's not broken, so why should anyone want to fix it. Just let it be there for fun, as it is now. 1000 posts is enough, if your posting (and your posts aren't being deleted) that should at least mean you are taking a part in the forums activities/threads/articles (whatever you want to call them)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.