Accents.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Glen, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    The really sort of posh English accent of girls (see Emma Watson for example) I really love, sounds the nicest IMO.

as a general one though, gotta love dem Irish.

2. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Update: I work with a gentleman named Paul. He's from Liverpool. (I'm not joking)

His accent's already to die for, but when he found out how much I adore Cockney accents, he showed off. Swoon. Too bad he's, like, 50.

3. Karuta Reborn

I have an irish accent, but I love me some australian accent. It's so...soothing.

4. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

I love Italian accents and I actually have developed this weird fetish for korean accents.

5. Daxa~ #stalker

Can I be strange and ask for a definition of an "Irish accent"?
    As there are ever so many, from county to county, north to west etc.
    I presume most of you are talking about a "diddly dee Leprechaun" accent, so from the south/west of Ireland.
    East and northern Irish accents are very different from those, or they can be.
    Such a small country, yet so complicated.
    Anyways. Danu shall shut up now. Yesh.

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The Midwest is characterized by having minimal accent. Though I do pick up a bit of a Chicago accent (as minimally existent as it may be).

I'm not sure I've got a favorite accent. British perhaps?

7. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Well, my family is from Donegal so it'd be a northern accent that I'm used to.

8. Mish smiley day!

In pretty much every country, there is a measurable change in accent per every 10 miles. Only, it's not totally obvious to foreign ears. So excuse me for generalising the Irish accent! I have two irl friends from Ireland who speak slightly differently so I guess I should know better.

Then again, everyone in this thread has generalised an accent. "I love the American accent", "I love the British accent" which probably leaves many of the residents of these places thinking "okay, but which American/British/whatever accent?"

9. Misty gimme kiss

See, I'm never sure if this is true for America! It could just be that I'm super oblivious but people either sound normal (Northern, usually) to me, weird normal (Boston etc), or Southern. So it puzzles me when people can hear others speak and be like "oh are you from here (gets it right within a 13 mile radius)"...

10. aiight Traverse Town Homebody

probably mentioned already but does anyone else find southern accents kinda sexy?

what does a korean sound like???

11. The Twin My, what a strange duet

True enough to me. You say "walk" in Boston and it sounds like "Wahk", say it in New York and it sounds more like "Wawk". Never mind those who differ from the norm: I'm from Massachusetts myself but I don't have a Boston-esque accent, park is "park", not "pahk". I have a car, not a "cah". I'm drinking beer, not "beah". And if I go to Boston, I get called out on it because I don't sounds like that at all.

12. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I love a British accent *coughs* Doctor Who *coughs*

I just find it very fascinating, often find myself with a British accent in my head. Not that voices talk to me in my head . . . You know what I mean.

Though I must say a Scottish accent comes in a close second ;)

13. Finn the Human Traverse Town Homebody

I have a Welsh accent myself, but I love a Philly accent. They're adorable. I like the way the vowels are pronounced. I live in Texas though, so the majority of the accent I hear is a Southeastern type accent, not near as southern sounding as Mississippi or Alabama, more like what people in Florida sound like, with a mixture of an Oklahoma dialect.

If that makes any sense.

14. OblivionKeeper4 Merlin's Housekeeper

apparently Aussie's have an accent but i dont hear mine :/ but i love english and scottish accents :)

15. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

haha, a korean sounds like .. well sexy in my opinion. I love their language.
    It's pretty hard for me to explain, but I lived with them for 3 years.
    Ah, I know how to probably explain this ... in seoul (capital of south korea) they have an accent but I lived in Pusan (in the south- port place) so the accent there was very countryside like. Trust me you can tell the difference even if you don't speak or understand korean 100%.
    Their countryside accent probably got to me.

16. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

BRITISH ACCENTS! I love british accents! I'm not sure why exactly. I also kinda like Irish.

17. DizzyPidgeon Merlin's Housekeeper

I am mostly used to English accents from the south of England ( and Welsh now I think of it ) but I do adore northern accents ( Liverpool, Yorkshire, Manchester etc ). I personally have a Londonish accent, so it's rather boring.

I digress, both Eire, Northern Irish and Scottish are glorious — I love Glaswegian. A lot of family are from county Limerick so I admit, a strong country Irish accent sounds like home to me. Mmm. Northern irish is golden, somewhat of a rarity.

Also, european accents — perhaps biased but Norwegian accents ( i know Oslo & Trøndersk dialects, so those specifically ). French, those kissy lips. German, Croatian anfhuadnfhoafhadfh just random ones really. Admittedly I am fascinated by europeans talking english, and most of those I know have been diluted by British slang and stuff hinaduhnah. It's beaut.
    ( also African accents talking english, though I am mostly uncultured and don't know about specifics. Love a southern African accent ( also a afrikaans accents ), people I know from Namibia and Zambia and Zimbabwe and South Africa and stuff. I'm talking rubbish )

AUSTRALIAN IS LOVELY, AS IS NZ and stuff because I am fascinated by NZ accents. Particularly those I have heard in documentaries about Maoris and stuff so you know I'm cool & that.

Finally, I love North American accents of all shapes and have always been able to distinguish the subtleties because I like voices and there is something wrong with me.

tl dr; i like everything lols /ok/

18. 61 No. B

middle eastern accents are fun to listen to.

19. jafar custom title

Everybody has an accent.

20. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

That reminds me of Omid Djalili's accent, well the stereoypical Iranian one he puts on to confuse the audience, and it's real fun to hear him playing on it.

I think accents can add a lot of comedy value if it's an accent you like and/or is very foreign to the ear. I mean like Alan Carr's voice is almost not an accent of any group at all, since it's so foreign it's helped him deliver jokes in a humorous manner.