Absence Saturday and Sunday, April 29–30, 2017

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Amaury, May 1, 2017.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

After waking up around 7:00 AM on Saturday, I turned my computer on, but then I remembered that I wanted to clean my room—my computer desk, especially—and do some minor rearranging, so I shut it back down. I folded and put away my clothes before we went to the dump, and then I went to do grocery shopping. When I got back, I got to cleaning and doing the minor rearranging of my room—in this case, swapping the positions of my TV stand and computer desk. It was around 2:30 PM when I was done and although I still had some finishing touches, I went ahead and set the surge protectors' switches to on and turned things on. I had just opened my email on my computer and things seemed normal, but pretty much immediately afterward, emails were not loading properly. After that I noticed cable and landline phone, which is connected through the mode, also weren't working.

Four hours later and my mom was back and everything was still down, so she called Charter to discover our area had an outage—no duh!—but that some customers already had service restored, it was just a small roll-out restoration. Come yesterday morning, however, we still didn't have anything, so she called again where she discovered the reason for the incident was some idiot cut a fiber optic cable while digging, likely with machinery. Although that was supposedly fixed already, so what else was the issue? My aunt, who has a different ISP than us, saw on Facebook that another problem arose, in which some other idiot decided to fire off a shotgun that hit the overhead lines. (Whether this was intentional or not is unknown.) In the area where they were shot, however, Charter only has the lines leased to them and can't just go and fix them, and I guess there were arguments about who was responsible and had to pay for it, delaying things further. The responsible party would be the company doing the leasing in this case. It was now around 3:30 PM yesterday and still nothing, so my mom called again, where she was reassured everything would be restored by this morning and that the crew had to work slowly due to being a supposed dangerous area. I guess when were trying to fix the lines, there was a washout and they had to evacuate, but because my mom was reassured of a morning fix, she thought they had already left and were going to come back this morning. However, I guess some people were still there or something as everything was restored by around 8:00 PM yesterday.

So I apologize if anybody (who noticed I wasn't here) was worried about me because that is very unusual for me. I'm pretty upset because I had a good streak of uploads to my YouTube every single day in 2017 so far, and now that is ruined. If I had psychic powers and known that was going to happen, I would have recorded something in the morning and uploaded then.

This is just meant to be informative and nothing else.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  2. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

You realize this isn't a class or a job, right

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

What's your point?

4. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

Does this mean from now on you will explain every absence? I'm very willing to hold you to that.

5. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Hey sometime we're busy. So it is all good.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

If it's from something significant and lasts 24 or more hours. If I'm not on just because I'm cleaning my room all day or something, then no.