A Smoking Family.

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Rissy, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

Pretty much everyone in my family is or has smoked. I have never smoked before, and never drank. My family is even into drugs. My father is into marjiuana, and smoking. I smell it on hiim all the time, but I just don't have the heart to tell him that he needs to stop. My older cousins, all smoke. But when they get on the subject of smoking, they always look at me, and tell me NEVER to smoke. Or they will kick my a** or say they will never forgive me. My mother even asked me if I smoked yet. I answered no, and said that I knew smoking was bad for you. I know that, and I'm still tempted to smoke, just to see what they would do. I even think the second-hand smoke has gotten me. Even my boyfriend has done some drugs, and smoked. But he said that he quit after two days. He said it felt a little weird, and he was very weak from it. I feel as though I'm threatened from even going NEAR lighters, cigarettes, or my familes' houses that have a lot of smokers in it.

But another thought is, my mother's side of her family don't smoke hardly. My mother has four other siblings, and only two of them smoke. I think...I hardly see one of them, but I deffinetly know that the younger sibling doesn't smoke. She has two kids, and one infant. And makes sure there is NO smoke in her house. But I know that I can't keep myself that clean, with all my friends, that smoke as well. What should I do?

2. Repliku Chaser

Well, for one thing, do what you actually feel is the right thing to do. If you are here now saying you don't want to smoke but feel a longing to do so because others have and you want to know what it's like, think about if it's worth it or not to do. If you've had second hand smoke, really, that's about what it is. It's not that great a thing to do. Also, should you become addicted, it can be hard to quit.

Peer pressure is one thing but it sounds to me as if a lot of people also are trying to tell you to not bother with it. It really isn't that great a thing to do and no, it won't kill you immediately, but at the same time, think on why you actually have a desire to do it in the first place. Just because everyone else is doing it, it doesn't make it cool or just fine to do. If that is your only reason, I'd tell you to not bother with it even though experimenting can be desired. If you do try it out, just don't get hooked on it because nicotine is not so much fun to try to drop as a habit.

I can't really come off all high and mighty as I had smoked for a couple years and decided to quit, which I did cold turkey and was bleah for a couple weeks but after that felt back to normal. I'd just say to think it through and well, it's definitely not a habit to want to get into regularly. I hope you figure things out alright and it is a personal choice so I wish you luck with it and hope this at all helps, though probably not as much as I'd hope.

3. sinister King's Apprentice

i understand a problem as such...
    i hate smoking but have a lot of family mebers who smokes....
    the best way for those who smokes is to make them admit that they are....
    some se smoking as...drinking....
    it makes them forget about their problems but in the end it makes it worse for them...
    naturally... they don't care what you say...
    but if they have friends they trust a lot....and they don't do drugs or sorts....
    they should try and make them stop too...
    sorry for the bad tip...

4. Misty gimme kiss

Don't start. My dad started smoking when he was 14, and now at 42, he's still at it. I think he might also be into pot. It's taken a toll on him. His teeth are disgusting, he can't be active for an extended period of time, he constantly has the smell of smoke on him, he has a cough that won't go away, and he can't seem to bring himself to quit. Consider the nons-smokers around you, as well, such as your friends. If you smoke around them, they'll begin to resent it just as you do to your family's smoking.

Just don't start. There are cooler ways to die.

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I haven't smoked before, never once considered taking it up.
    My mother smokes on and off depending on how stressed she is, she has a whole group of friends that smoke, I go and pretty much inhale the second stuff all day and get the odd craving to go back there for the smell, but that's it. Too some it's addictive others it is not so.

Personally I would recommend not to do it just because of the rest of your family does it, all these people I know who have smoked for years say offer ask 'you smoke yet?' I say 'no' and they always, always say 'good choice'
    I just take the advice of actual smokers, don't do it, it is a bad habit.

It is just not worth doing it, and would advise you not to try it, but it is your choice in the end.

6. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

My father smokes as well, just like Misty's and he still is right now. I get what you mean that sometimes you are tempted to smoke as well. I felt the same way. I have some friends that smoke and do drugs. Just don't even try it at all, it's not worth it. I was really close into smoking weed but I knew it would have been stupid and I would have regreted. At times you will be so tempted to do so, but if you don't you feel more satisfied with yourself that you didn't smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.