A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Marluxia55, May 29, 2007.

?

Have u read........

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. What kind of books are they

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Ravenyuki Traverse Town Homebody

I like this series, but I didn't get that into it. I just skip the parts where he drones on and on about it being unfortunate.

2. Desaray Traverse Town Homebody

Oh yeah --' I dont like how he writes like that, but I was able to manage so far ^^

3. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

I read the first few,but I couldnt really get into it.

4. S m i l e s <3 Destiny Islands Resident

I read the whole series just to be disapointed by the last book. I didn't really like the ending. It was bleh. So many people died and so much suffering for what?

5. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

good books, though not the best out there; movie is actually decent, too! entertaining for teens and younger kids.

6. Cherry Pie Pwns Gummi Ship Junkie

I read them in Elementary/early Middle school. I only got up to book ten though then stopped. I liked them, but then got bored. I remember when I was sick once I read the whole third book in a day. Maybe I should read them again...

7. Envious623 Twilight Town Denizen

I read them as a kid, but i got bored by the time the ending came around. I read all of them but the last one, so I don't know the ending, but I don't really care. I liked them as a kid, but I"m not so much a fan of them now. They are good books, though.​

8. K u r o g a n e Traverse Town Homebody

I enjoyed reading them all. I didn't quite get the ending but still it was worth reading.

9. Hissora ahurhurhur.

I LOVE this series. So very hilarious.

I'm still on book ten, but I lost my muse to read since my friend spoiled something for me from the end.

10. xXRhian+RoxasXx Gummi Ship Junkie

I loved the series!

But the ending sucked.... I want another book saying what happened after the 13th book. Did Violet became a famous inventor? Did Klaus find Fiona and get married? Did Sunny open up her own resteruant? So many things I wanna know!!!

My if Lemony Snicket is out there still then maybe he should look at this thread and take into interest that his fans want more of his books and could he make a epilouge to the SoUE series?

11. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

I liked the books a lot when I was younger, I loved the sardonic and tragic tone of it. I haven't read the last few books, though, translating took so long and I couldn't find them in English... So I kinda grew out of the series.​

12. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

I love this series, its incredible how 'Lemony' makes it both funny and moving at the same time. Don't know why people hate the ending, I liked it. The air of mystery and not knowing everything adds to the atmosphere.

Film was fun but not very true to the books.

13. Stardust Chaser

I read the first few a long time ago and enjoyed them very much, but I never got around to the rest of the series. I might pick them back up sometime.

14. HarleenCue Merlin's Housekeeper

I think I read most of the books, but stopped due to the others not being published yet. After that, I didn't pick them up again because I eventually realized that the series was repetitive. I really do like them, but honestly, the children move, they encounter Count Olaf, nobody believes them, etc, etc. (I understand that this might not hold true to every book.)

The change of setting was very refreshing, actually. Whenever they moved, the excitement never failed to return. :)

15. axel-chanviii Twilight Town Denizen

Out of the first 4 books of this series (I'm so lazy...) the only thing that annoyed me was two pages saying "ever" in "The Reptile Room".

16. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I read all thirteen of them and loved them. I tried re-reading the books, but ack, I've gotten too old. The writing style is too simple for me to get through.

17. anotheraxelfangirl Destiny Islands Resident

I just finished rereading them (and I'm seventeen :P), and, even if they were kind of simple, I still really enjoyed them! They made me laugh a lot, even when they weren't meant to. I especially loved Esme Squalor because her entire personality is so unbelievably ridiculous XD

18. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

There's no doubt that Lemony Snicket's humor is fantastic and funny. I also loved how he would use devices in his writing that pertained to what was happening in the story. I remember in the ninth one, he was talking about deja vu, and then the next page was the exact same as the one before it. And in the twelfth, the characters were staring at their reflections in a pond, so he made the text backwards. I had to read it with a mirror, but it was such a great idea.

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

So I read all the books a long time ago, and still pick them up and reread them time and again. I personally think that Lemony Snicket is a refreshingly good author of childrens books. The plot was great, the writing was good, the characters became real, in a manner of speaking. His life-lessons were well thought out, and I absolutely loved all his codes and stuff. I think the ending of the end was a great way to end the books. Yeah, it stunk that Kit died, but that's life, and life isn't easy. That's kind of the whole point of the series. And I think it's a good thing that the series ended with the Baudelaires beginning their journey, it adds some mystery and once again enforces Handlers point that a story doesn't begin or end with the life of one person and that in ,ife, you don't always find the answers. I think that adding more books to the series or adding an epilogue really just defeats the main point. If you want to read a book where everything turned out all great and stuff, drop these dismal books immediately and spare yourself the long nights of tears that come with them. Try the Bobbsey Twins, the silly adventures of two adorable younsters that will make you sick with cuteness. I can promise you with absolute certainty that no one dies in those books. That same promise can not be said for this dark and abysmal Series of Unfortunate Events.

P.S. Intersting piece of trivia: Danial Handler first invented the nom de plume Lemonny Snicket to write letters to newspapers pretending to be outraged about trivial subjects. XD

20. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

I love this series, along with how Handler Snicket can be writing about completely serious and quite dark events yet still put in hilarious little quips, or how he might get to a really suspenceful moment and then break off to discuss the meaning of a word and how to use it or something equally ridiculous.