A "Planet in Peril"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Laurence_Fox, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Source

Any thoughts?

2. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Firstly, a lot of these problems are caused by the West. Things like deforestation and poaching only occur because there are demands for the products. When people stop wanting expensive furniture and rare animals then this problem will either cease or at least be reduced.

As for the problems in China, it's to be expected. It is a fertile country in terms of both food and people. Also, it is developing through the secondary stage. This means it has quite a lot of farming and loads of manufacturing industries. These are fuelling it's development. The UK and US went through the same stages except during the Industrial Revolution. We can't complain if they want to reach the same level of development that we have using the same methods just because we have decided it's too detrimental to the environment.

The bit about chemicals is just going to unnecessarily panic the public. This is a moment where what people don't know can't hurt them. You will always have traces of unhealthy substances in your body, knowing about them just makes you into a hypochondriac.

Really I think it may just be the media jumping on the environment bandwagon to get higher ratings. May have been well intentioned but will only serve to panic people, or even mis-inform them =/

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I can see where you're coming from here with your post. Anything that is broadcast needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just because someone on tv says it doesn't necessarily mean it is true in other words.

I think they might just be trying to 'shock' us into being more environmentally aware of the world around us. Sure China is developing in it's own Industrial Revolution but there are some cities that don't see day light due to the amount of smog( and that's a technical term) in the air.

I'm planning to at least watch some of this just to see what it's about. But I don't see myself watching the whole thing.

4. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

It's just it doesn't seem to be anything new =/ I already knew all of that. Also, IMO it won't shock anyone into doing anything. Unless you show someone how it will directly affect a part of their actual life they aren't likely to do anything about it. People have too much to worry about without having to take on global responsibilities as well.

As for watching it, meh I'm too busy. Lol I don't watch TV anymore ;D.

5. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

I don't really bother watching that show; it's terribly Liberl, there's more than like, 9 errors in it, my dad would kill me if I did (He's politicial -.-) And all and all...it's a waste of my time.

A Planet in Peril = bull.

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

The whole matter isn't necessarily new, as said before. It's not surprise, also.

.... =/

7. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I'll give anything a chance before I write it out. But I don't think the show is supposed to point fingers at anyone. I think it's more supposed to be like 'Hey, this is what might be going on if we don't be careful.' Not like 'Such an such a country is responsible for global warming and the toxigens in the drinking water.'

8. N Hollow Bastion Committee

I agree with Bunterx's first post and his others. My grandfather is one of those people who 'panic' if something that can give you cancer, is toxic, or gives you some kind of fatal disease is broadcasted on television. And, in my opinion, stop broadcasting this and do something. The average person who isn't aware of the enviroment is not going to do anything as Bunterx said unless it affects their 'average' lifestyle. I am aware of nature, I love it, but what is there much to do? I mean, I don't have a magic wand where I can stop production of chemicals that harm the atmosphere. I can't stop deforestation, I can't stop people killing exotic animals.

People just don't listen, because half of them don't care. Money (or whatever) is all is in the minds of people today. People want to be multimillionaires, not enviromentalists. It's harsh reliaty that people can be so ignorant when it comes to nature. There are a lot of people who are just like me - they love nature and want to help it, but then again we've got these guys who don't have a bullcrap about it.

That's my opinion, nothing much to say after that. :\

9. Repliku Chaser

I really don't like Michael Moore much as he's been noted to skew things and slant them to his own directions and misquote information. I am surprised Jeff Corwin is doing this. Kind of disappointing.

I do agree that the world is in some sad shape and the information is out there on how bad but I also do not like it when environmentalists take things to the extreme to make them worse than they are as well. It makes the other side that doesn't care as much say 'they are lying' so that things keep on as bad as they were. For once, it'd be nice to just have some honest, non-slanted reports instead of this way too far extreme fanatical work that Michael Moore is known to do. I suppose I will be required to actually watch it to say it is so bad, but anything else I've seen of Michael Moore's just is not very good. He raises points but then always goes way too far to bash them into people and has slandered things to meet his own agendas. I have no faith in the guy at all. However, I like Jeff Corwin so maybe it won't be -so bad-.

We do need to fix up the planet and all. However, I debate why Michael Moore, who cares about this junk so much, doesn't bother funding more money to such projects instead of just doing films so he can dress up and have a bigger house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.