A list of Advice

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by venster, Mar 19, 2012.

1. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

After being a member here, I've noticed that a bunch of the old members are now either late high school to past college age. I decided to just make a list of advice for the younger people.

COLLEGE:
    • Choose a major that YOU will enjoy and be passionate about, not what your parents will approve of.
    • be ready for the hardships that will come with your major.
    • If you ever go to a party to drink, make sure that you have close friends to take care of you just in case.
    • Join clubs! Meeting people is important in College.
    • Apply for an internship while in college.
    • If you live away from home, and one of your parents call you, don't forget to say "I love you" when you say goodbye.

LOVE:
    • If a person likes you and you're unsure about going on a date with them, go on that date. You might discover something you like about him/her.
    • Talking to each other is key.
    • Don't go to the movies for a first date.

LIFE:
    • Get better with the better.
    • Keep an open mind, make sure you hear both sides of a story.
    • Don't brute force someone to change to your opinions. If they REALLY REALLY don't agree. Then forcing them to agree won't help.

FAMILY:
    • It's easy to break up with a friend, but it's difficult to break up with your family.
    • Sometimes, just sit down with one of your parents and just have a conversation about anything. You never know when you'll not be able to see them again.

If you want to give a word of advice, give it a category and post it. I'll add it to the list.

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

You need to add periods to several of them, but they are pretty good so far. My advice for each section is this:

COLLEGE:

• Do not get stressed about it. Universities are not going to guarantee you a job or happiness, so be sure to take it easy and balance your priorities. This is a bit of personal advice from me, but I strongly advise you not to forgo friendship in lieu of 'focusing on school work'.
    • You may never get a job for your major if you did not pick one with a specific job in mind. Either plan well or expect your degree to serve only as a notice that you went to college rather than as a notice that you are an expert in that field to an employer.

LOVE:

• Be cautious. Do not fall in love at first sight, and do not decide that you love someone without speaking with them. Learn about how they treat you personally before you decide that they are right for you.
    • Be serious and be sure that they are serious. Do not base your relationship on anything but each other. If you base it on money, social standing or physical appearance, it will almost certainly fail with time.
    • Do not get physically intimate before you have ensured the above. If it is love we are talking about, then let it grow before bringing something as addictive as sex into the fray. Even the best lovers can be spoiled by moving before it has a chance to set in.

LIFE:

• Think very thoroughly before doing anything involving law enforcement; especially reporting people. If you are reporting someone, ask yourself what your goal is in doing so. Why do you want them arrested? Do not bring harm to people just because it is the law for them to be harmed. You would not want the same done to you.
    • If you feel threatened in an environment, wear a concealed recording device. Sound is a must. This can become an all-purpose protection tool if you need evidence against someone for any number of crimes. An example is sexual assault. You can record yourself saying no and the rest will take care of itself. Do not forget this. (Also applies to FAMILY.)
    • Do not kill yourself for anyone but yourself. The world that you see ends when you do. You end more than your own existence when you kill yourself, so self-hatred, shame and depression and so on are not valid reasons. One should never die thinking that the world will go on without them. That kind of false security means that you still have something to live for anyway; it means that the world keeps on going even if you get past your problems.
    • Do not borrow or lend money if you can help it. In borrowing money, you cripple yourself and make yourself a slave to others. In lending it, you do the same to those who borrow from you. Not only that, but they may evade paying you, and you will be out of that money. If you must give, then give as a charity. Lending will only cripple the relationship between you and your partner.

FAMILY:

• Never borrow or lend money within your family. It is bad enough when you have this master and slave relationship with friends and strangers, but the shame that comes with owing a family member will ruin your relationship with them. Especially do not lend to your parents. Do not try it unless you wish to manipulate them to a fault.
    • Do not hold to your family simply because they "take care of you". If they are abusing you, do not put up with it. Leave, or if there have been crimes against you, report them. If there is sexual assault, then take my advice with the recording device. Black mail if you have to. You are equals as soon as you can say "no" and leave them. You are not the property of anyone but yourself.
    • Family is what you make of it. Do not accept someone as your relative merely because of blood relation. Bonds are more important than any genetic similarity.

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Hmm some of this advice is pretty good but people are better off figuring things out for themselves. It is how experience works.

/opinion.

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

And now they have experienced reading this advice. That is how things go, is it not?

While I see what you mean, this section exists solely for asking for advice, so I do not understand why you would say that here. Though I suppose that is valid advice in itself. Hmm...

5. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

That is pretty much what I was getting out. They can follow this advice that is rather good but at the same time someone could do what I posted and it would work just as well. Their choice, which is why I said it was an opinion.

6. miaulement Traverse Town Homebody

I find both posts of advice very good, definitely thought out.
    I haven't experienced college, nor will I until almost 2 or 3 years from now, but I'm less nervous about it now. This is coming from a Freshman(lol) who is having to decide her major right now because my school likes to put stress on us. Yay~

But this made my day, just saying. :)