2013 VMA (You know what I'm talking about...)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Fellangel, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

If anyone's interested, here's an interview with Miley:

Miley Cyrus Breaks Her Silence about VMA Performance
    Source: CNN | Published: 9/4/2013

2. 61 No. B

So basically she admits that she's a moron who not only chooses to ignore the negative consequences, but chooses to not even think about them beforehand. cool.

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Since I'm taking an English class and working on report papers and thesis statements anyway, I think I'll write a paper on this subject. After all, I believe I just got the motivation I needed. I'll either be replying with it or editing it into this post within the week. I'm tired of the drama so I'll write about it.

4. Patman Bof

Robin should totally have called back Jimmy Kimmel and Guillermo, they put on a much better show. XD

I share C' s confusion, I don' t get what the hullabaloo is about. This wouldn' t fart a single blip on anyone' s radar here. I' ve seen Madonna pull off crazier stuff when I was a kid and I' ve turned out just fine.

5. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

...have we not been paying attention to this thread at all? probably the two most important things in this entire thread have been overlooked:

this is an amazing point that apparently no one really cares about, but it needs to be addressed. sure miley's actions [ including her dance moves, wardrobe, etc. ] during her and robin thicke's performance were inappropriate, but are we just going to ignore robin thicke when he was [ in my opinion ] even more inappropriate?

robin thicke is a married man of eight years and has a three year old son... and yet no one cares about the way he acted? and even if he wasn't married and / or had a kid, his dancing wasn't exactly kid-friendly either you know. but the fact that he is makes it even more disturbing and just... gah.

miley acted cray ofc, but i think that everyone should maybe hold back on examining her childhood and her psyche and take a good look at the other performer that was along side her...

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, I don't think that matters, in my opinion.

The way I look at it is that celebrities have their personal life (relationships, marriage, family, etc.) and their career life (music, TV shows, etc.).

7. jafar custom title

Tha VMAs aren't exactly kid-friendly though. It's all part of the act. But it still made grown adults uncomfortable, and I don't think either were "more" or "less" appropriate than the other since they were both performing together. You bundle them together for participating in the performance. Highlighting that Thicke as more of a villain in this only supports misandry, which isn't that great either if we're looking for equal representation of the sexes.

8. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Miley's Madness Makes the World Go Round​

.....So just the other day, actor and singer Miley Cyrus performed live on stage at the VMA awards. Just like so many before her she performed stupendously while surrounded by a massive crowd of, mostly, fans. She did exactly what it was she wanted to do. She didn't hold back and she didn't give up. Another thing she didn't do was remember to censor her creativity because apparently in today's modern society you don't get the freedom of expression that you used to. I get the feeling, however, that freedom of expression isn't what this is all going to boil down to. I know deep down that this really has nothing to do with Miley. There aren't any new hot topics for people to blather on about so Miley is made out to be the bad girl.

.....You may remember Miley Cyrus from her sweet and innocent show several years back, Hannah Montana. If you do then you probably also remember how sweet and innocent she herself was at that time. From the amount of negative feedback towards Miley, one would think that it's impossible for a child sweetheart to turn into, what some would consider, an outrageous human being. I'd like to recall a sweet and innocent little girl who ran into her twin sister and ended up getting her family back together. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, it's The Parent Trap. The Parent Trap was a very popular movie back in the day and one of the people who made it popular was a certain child actress, Lindsay Lohan. Like Miley, Lindsay was sweet and innocent in her early childhood but soon grew out of it. So it appears that it's not, in fact, impossible nor improbable for a childhood star to change dramatically over time.

.....People do change. Not only people but pretty much everything changes. Everyone will change given time and experience. That is part of who we are and what makes us human. Think of a cliff face hanging over an ocean view bay. Several years and a lot of natural experiences would surely mold it into a new form. Look at people in the same way. People will change given time to grow older and understand themselves better. People will change when put through new experiences that might change their views on certain matters or ideals. It's not surprising to see a sweet and innocent little girl grow into a bold and daring woman like Miley has, is it?

.....I know there have been some complaints from parents about how Miley's behavior might be affecting their children. I'd like to set the record straight by saying it's eighty-five percent your own fault. Five percent goes to Miley and ten percent goes to Television openly broadcasting it to your home. Of course the majority of fault still lies with you. It's so easy to blame another for your own faults. Was there something wrong with the channel blocker on your TV? Could you not look up how to block certain sites on the internet? There are quite a few different ways in which you could keep your children from watching a majority of the content you find 'distasteful'. If you look at this like a cold you'll see that you can't stop your children from getting it forever. You can, however, help to slow the process and help them get over it. If you don't want your children watching it then do what you can to block it. If they do watch it then do what you're so afraid to do and sit down and talk to them about why you don't like, and why they shouldn't be watching it.

.....In closing I'd just like to summarize everything I've gone over with you. Sometimes sweet and innocent can become bold and daring. Parents, you need to start taking more control in your children's lives. No matter how much you try to fight it, people change. We can't stop the natural order of things and when we try the lines become blurred. Just move on with the show and don't make Miley out to be the bad girl. In a world of conformity, she's just trying to be herself.

9. muff monkey Twilight Town Denizen

Unpopular opinion, but I see nothing wrong with what Miley did. The performance of her song was great and I am just not seeing how SO many people are offended by it. With her and Thicke, I'm pretty sure she wore that outfit because it pretty much resembles the outfits from the Blurred Lines video, which look uncomfortable as hell so no wonder her buttocks was falling out. ): And I don't understand the hate towards Robin in this thread, either? Miley danced around him and he pretty much stood still the entire time, except when he thrusted out a little. Bringing up the point that he has a wife and has a kid shouldn't even matter, because it was all a performance. I mean, actors/actresses are married and have kids and do racier scenes than what happened at the VMAs and they hardly ever get called out on it.

And also, Miley was more covered up than some of the others there, but I guess parading on stage in a thong is appropriate for children if you're above the age of twenty.

I am also pretty sure no one would care if Miley was five years older and if she hadn't starred in Hannah Montana. But holy crap, people want to pretend that she's still the thirteen year old that starred on that show and she isn't. She grew up and she wants her fanbase to grow up with her. But she can't because parents are all "oh good LORD my child can't see this!" when their child shouldn't be watching MTV to begin with, trying to tarnish her name.