2013 VMA (You know what I'm talking about...)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Fellangel, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Fellangel Bichael May

...yea I'm not gonna even sugarcoat what the hell happened. It's all over news on what people experienced. For the sake of my own (and the others who wants their poor souls intact), I shall leave the happenings there in words rather than visuals. Not even words actually. I'll just SKIM the damn thing because so much sh*t happened at the VMAs...

Miley Cyrus...what the flying f**k was she thinking? I'm almost speechless on what she just did. I actually stopped the damn video just to watching more of that monstrosity. I feel so bad for the kids that had to experience that. I hope you're all having the same feelings as I am. It was just...gah. I can't even anymore...

2. Sara Tea Drinker

You should've seen the look on Will Smith's family... Boy, if a picture is a thousand words... I still get a kick thinking about it. And the fact they let their teenage son watch her.

I remember on the news that they predicted in 2008 that Miley Cyrus's career would hit the lowest in 2013. They're prophets. I never honestly liked the tween crazes, even when I was one. I thought it was stupid and not really into music. The most I listen to is Linkin Park, but that's because I enjoy their music. I knew at some point the kiddies would grow up, it happens to every tween phase. Justin Bieber is hitting the same phase right now and he's trying to keep it going. But Miley is just trying to cling to what she has left and at the same time trying to make herself appear "as an adult" because she's in the phase where she needs to appeal to the adults. Granted, most adults except mostly males will be watching the performance, and not for the right reasons, but she's trying.

I think in a few years, Bieber and Cyrus will be like the rest of the tween stars: Faded into obscurity and desperately shaving their heads to keep the fans going. This is the reason why I don't approve of child stars in any sense or form. It never really works, the Olson twins, Brittany Spears (fun fact: She was one of the original Mickey Mouse Club), Micheal Jackson, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and even One Direction at some point.

It's sad, but a part of life.

3. Sumi suicidé

my thing is: Miley can do whatever she wants
    she can sing how she wants, she can dance how she wants
    it's her life, her body, and her decision. no one has the right to tell her that she can't sing/dance etc. how she wants --
    except for the fact that she specifically chose black women as accessories. that's the only real problem with the entire thing.
    other than that, she can do whatever the hell she wants. she can dress as she pleases, sing as she pleases, dance as she pleases, etc. if you don't like it then you don't have to watch and you don't have to do the same as her.

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

Ehhhhh, that's not really the only issue in my eyes. While she has a right to dance how she wants and take charge of her sexuality, there's still the matter of her practically rubbing her crotch throughout the dances while it was being publicly shown on live national television, which could have been seen by wee youngins & other people who didn't necessarily consent to that. If I were a parent I could definitely be uncomfortable with the performance if my child was watching. Even when I had watched it I had still felt really uncomfortable with it.

If she did it privately for a select group of people or was in control of who was seeing it (adult only program, 15 and up, etc.), that's fine. But a public performance for, potentially, the entire country watching is not really an ideal venue for that. :v

And on little kids again, while they will eventually be exposed more to sexuality as they develop their own, a lot of kids would be confused by "why is miley cyrus rubbing her nethers with a foam finger" and try to emulate it because it seems cool, because a celebrity is doing this and they are famous! It's unfortunate but a lot of parents probably wouldn't take the time to explain to their kid then and there what it means. "they are too young for Filth!!!" and probably just shut them down without really explaining until far later in the teenage years, by which time the damage could be set & done. Obviously the blame is more on the parents/guardians for this scenario, but Miley should have taken into account that kids who might be watching and look up to her might emulate her and it's just an uncomfortable thing for parents to explain at that age (like 2-9).

5. Mish smiley day!

As embarrassing as what she did is, I doubt it's the worst/most scandalous thing that has ever happened on the VMA's. This will all blow over and once the public find someone else to hate on, Miley will likely be able to bounce back and could have a successful career, as long as she makes the right choices.

I'm gonna go ahead and dispute this. Not all tween stars fall horribly from grace. Fun fact: Ryan Gosling, Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera were all Mickey Mouse Club kids too and they are enjoying successful careers. Child stars can skip the 'rebellious' phase as long as they are given the right support and make the right choices.

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Basically this. I hear the Twins from Zack and Cody are doing pretty well, and they began acting when they were about 11. I don't know about Mickey Mouse club, but these two are doing. great.

7. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Sure, people and celebrities can do, sing, dance, say whatever the hell they want.

But the more important thing that they should know well in their hearts are the consequences and responsibilities that come right after that. Flinging money around seems to be the solution for that in Hollywood, but I think nowadays it should take a lot more than wealth, like swallowing your pride and the like.

In relation to this, I'm hoping (and doubting) that Miley knew full well of what was to be expected in reaction of her performance. I mean, obviously if she continues this kind of trend, big karma will definitely come to her at great and increasing momentum. She may be an adult in the eyes of the law, but I even consider 20 to be young. So she'll make choices, she'll make mistakes. We'll just have to get through with it, just like her, and face what's to come next with our perseverance.

Anyway, did anyone else got excited when N*SYNC reunited, even if for just 30 seconds? ;-;

8. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Their reaction was actually to Lady Gaga's performance lol. Still, I image they had a similar look at Miley Cyrus' performance lol.

I didn't watch the awards but I saw the headlines, decided to check Miley's performance and stopped watching after a couple of minutes. I found the whole thing cringe worthy. It was so awkward and I can totally understand some of the reactions.

9. Misty gimme kiss

The thing is though that this is the VMAs on MTV. It's not a notoriously child-friendly program, is it? I mean, we just have to look at some of the acts that Miley's performance has been compared to (Madonna in 1984, Britney in 2001). Hell, MTV altogether is not really a child-friendly television station. I can remember my mom getting upset at me watching it when I was 10/11 because it went into some shady moral territory.

That said, that doesn't mean kids aren't going to watch it. Quite the opposite--the supposedly "scandalous" nature of the performances means kids will be drawn to it even more. What's important is that the kids watching the program understand what's going on--and parents can be one venue to communicate to them. The performance was very sexual, and parents should instill sexual & body positive beliefs within their children. They can explain to their kids that, as an adult woman, Miley is free to express her sexuality and we should not shame her for it--however, that we should never allow our sexuality to turn into objectification. ( there were a lot of other problems with Miley's performance, but just addressing that one )

It comes down to good parenting, in my opinion. If television became more casual & down to earth about sex, society would follow.
    Also adding that, despite the whole eating disorder business of a few years ago, the Olsen twins are enjoying a rather successful career in fashion right now.
    I think a lot of people are overestimating Miley's involvement in it all. She wanted to reinvent her image, yes. She hires a stylist, PR person, marketing person, etc. to take care of things. MTV execs pitch the performance, her people go for it, she'll maybe have a "do you want to do this" but the performance was designed by MTV for one reason: viewers. To get people talking. I couldn't give a damn about the VMAs but after hearing the buzz about Miley's performance, I watched it. I'm here talking about it. And that's exactly what MTV wants, even if we're talking about it in a negative light. MTV is a business and their goal is viewership. And this would be Miley's goal too. The media and celebrity culture is so ****ed up. I don't doubt that Miley's image reinventing is due in part to her years on Disney and being forced into the "good girl" role, as well as just growing up, but she's famous. Maybe she is expressing her personality and exploring it and that's awesome, she's free to do it, but expressing it so gratuitously on national television says to me that it's as much about her as it is about her image as a celebrity.

Even after Miley's performance dies down, the VMAs will come around next year and people will watch because they don't want to miss the next "big" moment. They'll want to be a part of the discussion, be up on the news.

10. Plums Wakanda Forever

That's true (I was one of those kids with adult swim back in the day so :v). Kids would eventually explore more sexual things as they grow up which is good, take charge of it and the like, but

This is what I'm concerned about since, historically, the average parents have not been too good at doing this because of the ~unspoken sex taboo~. Ultimately, for the time being, I expect quite a bit of American children to either have to adopt and instill in themselves body positivity and sexual beliefs from outside sexual education (classes, mentors, role models, etc.) or figure it out on their own over time. There are parents who do do this, but there's also just as many that don't and don't see how it can reinforce negative beliefs and views of other people and themselves. And for right now, I'm not expecting the "Miley is a slut" to die down because of that; even if no one says it after a while, there will be those kids who will believe that about her because of their parents/guardians/whoever.

Agreed, but expand that into other media venues and just people themselves too. I have no doubt that it is possible for our society to become more down to earth about sex, though I think that'll only really happen when the rising generation (us) have kids since our beliefs are still more malleable and we don't have as concrete a picture of life as our parents might.

And ultimately, personally I still feel the performance was rather uncomfortable. My thoughts on Miley haven't changed but I do wish that there wasn't as much genits touching on her and Robin Thicke's (REMEMBERED HIS NAME YEA DOGG) parts. Though I guess since everyone now knows that this is what Miley wants to do, I don't have to tune in & be forced to see it. Best of luck to her though.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

So what exactly happened?

I saw some things about her popup on my Facebook news feed, but I thought it was just one of those comparative things. You know, for example, "like for Justin Bieber and comment for Taylor Lautner."

12. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I'd post a vid, but I might get in trouble for it. Yeah, it's that bad.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Looked it up, and I'll just say I've read and heard of worse stories. I also doubt she's the only one that's done something like this.

There's no doubt in my mind that Billy and his wife didn't raise Miley that way, so I don't think it's fair to blame the parents. Plus, she is 20 now, a legal adult, so she makes and is responsible for her own decisions. She has the right to perform how she wants, and I can pretty much tell you that there wouldn't be so much criticism if this had been for an adult show or something.

However, like Misty said, while kids do watch it, MTV isn't exactly a kid-friendly channel. It's up to the parents whether their kids can watch those kinds of channels or not. For example, when I was a kid and my parents were still married, I went to an R-rated movie with them. It wasn't anything graphic, but there were naked men in it at the beginning of the movie, if I recall correctly.

14. jafar custom title

>miley getting all the negative attention
    >robin getting none

i

what

15. Sara Tea Drinker

I kinda disagree, Billy at least seemed like the type for a long time rode on his daughters career and depended heavily on it. As he was in her tv show as her father and did his own publicity through it. Justin Bieber, I don't know much about, but when I hear: "27 Million dollar mansion" in my mind, alarm bells ring. Especially his behavior recently, though he might be no longer looked at by his parents anymore.

I just think kids should be kids and then make their own choices. Force it early, and you can end up with a train wreck very quickly. There are some kids stars that turned out, but there's a lot more who really ended screwed up. Look at the Jackson family alone, all of them had terrible childhoods under being stars and only one turned out okay out of all of them.

16. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

What even is this thread...

Look, just because the channel is aimed at teens doesn't mean you can go full smut. It's not a matter of the demographic or who can watch, but a matter of respect. It's an award show, show up in a nice dress and have some damn class

17. Hiro ✩ Guardian

It's not even about that, I think. It's mostly about the fact that many young girls look up to Miley and her doing this is basically telling the girls it's okay.

18. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Miley Cyrus is a trashy individual who is trying to romanticize the whole idea of essentially being "Ratchet". It's an admirable attempt she's making (In a way) but it's gone from seeming like a cry for attention by a girl who was forced to be one thing as a child who is now trying to be something she's not to a wild downward spiral the the whole world is having to watch as it becomes more and more hideous and grotesque. Someone needs to send her dumb ass to rehab where we can't see or hear her because right now she's just polluting the world with her existence and her actions.

19. Amaury Legendary Hero

What she's doing isn't even anything where rehab would come in. In other words, she doesn't fall into the rehab category. She is not doing drugs, doesn't have a mental illness, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehab#Mental_health

20. Sumi suicidé

extremely valid point omg
    i'm actually really mad about this??
    because she wasn't the only one doing some questionable stuff up there
    and yet she's getting all of the attention?? i really think we ought to pay more attention to him, and also to the people behind the performance, rather than just going "miley sucks"
    (even though i don't like or agree with her "reinvention" SHE ISN'T THE WHOLE ISSUE)