Should people enjoy vacations at the expense of others?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Sara, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

As I mentioned before, I live in a tourist area. My state gets a ton of tourists coming here every day from everywhere in the U.S., most of them are pretty nice and even enjoy sitting and talking to you about local places they should try out, where they live, etc... There have been a few rude people here and there, but this year:

I'm getting a slew of bad tourists running through the state. People revving their engines, people getting out and screaming threats to other drivers, a drunk woman wanting to set off her own private fireworks at the 4th. (True story.) A couple ignoring their kid kicking the front of the seat on public transportation even though the person in front of them is getting extremely irritated, a kid getting fly spray put on on public transportation and ignoring the fact that everyone around them is complaining.

A good example is today was that there was a wedding going on at the beach. I was on a bus heading home from the beach and living in the area, I knew there was a place where it was a trap. There's a roundabout where once you enter, the only way to exit is to go all the way around. The wedding was happening about three feet away and there was a truck parked at the end of the roundabout to the point where the bus couldn't get through. The driver tried to get their attention for several minutes before leaning on his horn. A few guests came over and started screaming obscenities at the driver and threatening him with violence. They even tried to break through the driver's side door to get to him. They finally moved the car, but there was a lot of families around and a ton of little kids who heard the whole thing, I also reported it to the police along with the driver.

So, what do you think, do you think people should make their vacations enjoyable as possible even if it ruins it for everyone else or the people who live locally have to suffer through it?

2. Arch Mana Knight

Of course not. It's entirely possible to have fun and not be douchebags about it. I'm wondering why this is in the debate corner. XD I seriously doubt anyone's going to say otherwise. There's no legitimate reason to make life hard on locals when you're on vacation.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

Eh... If someone wants to move it, go ahead... I do have a feeling someone will object, though.

After all, it happens all the time in my area. :p

I do agree with you, it's one thing to take advantage of the situation if it happens by luck and/or something good just happens. It's another to just harass and bully the locals/other vacationers to make your vacation perfect.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I don't think this is at all limited to people on vacation. People are, sadly, inconsiderate, no matter where they are. I suppose it is easier to be inconsiderate when on vacation, because you're thinking "I paid to be here and relax, I am the only thing that matters," but I really doubt any of the people you mentioned go home and are mindful members of society.

5. Styx That's me inside your head.

The question borders on rthetorical, so I can see why it has been moved. Of course tourists should keep in mind that they're not the only ones there. A bit of solidarity goes a long way: you wouldn't want your vacation ruined by rubes either, would you? That being said though, a certain degree of tolerance is advisable. You should try not to annoy people, and you should try not to be annoyed too quickly. I understand, however, that this is easier said than done when people are being irritating around every corner, even if they're not being all that annoying individually.

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Maybe this is an American thing, could be very wrong I haven't travelled many places abroad and not at all in like 7-8 years, but I don't think I've never been or have encountered a tourist ever being rude or annoying.
    I've mainly gone on holiday with my parents around England and we've never been treated with disdain or exploited, nor have we ever got into an argument with any locals. I think when you're on your holiday, you relax more or should at least, and be less stressed and worried about this and that which may normally. Also, living in London, wherever else you go in England will be less stressful in general because the people are generally friendlier and are less stressed themselves. Cities cause the grief believe me.
    The one holiday i went on with my friends, it was to a camp site by the beach front town of Newquay, well known spot for teens to go and holiday. Now, even with mainly teens gathered in one area getting drunk and high in a small space, we all got on well. We shared drinks, came together to listen to music, shared fire, it was all pretty chilled and relaxed, even if I was on edge and trying to not worry about my stuff getting stolen or something idiotic.

So, yeah, personal experience tells me you can easily enjoy yourself without being angry or some such, which would ruin it all. Never have done it, never expect to try it, ha.

7. Patman Bof

I' ve lived in a touristic spot as well for 20 years, I think it' s a win-win scenario. Sure, tourists can be a little on edge, spending the whole day on the road with two kids on the back and a lousy GPS will do that to you, but they spend a lot of money locally (despite the prices bordering insanity) and when comes the time to party or have random encounters on the beach you' re glad they' re here.

Once you know the drill it' s not that hard to get by. As PaW said living in, say, Paris is 24/7 worse. A childhood friend of mine moved to Hell A with her husband a few years ago, she told me having to drive around for hours just to find a place to park is a daily nightmare there, it nearly drove them both insane. XD

8. Sara Tea Drinker

I have parking problems, too... A town a few miles from where I live is a huge tourist spot. (*the Bush's have a summer home there*) And parking is impossible, it doesn't help the main parking lot was removed for a 20 room hotel and eight parking spots for it. (I'm dead serious.)

I find it more a "We get money from them, so we tolerate it." My state depends heavily on tourists year round. Whether it's summer for the beaches, hiking, swimming, fishing, etc... Or the winter which brings in skiing, snowboarding, sledding and other winter activities. One thing I do enjoy is that I can just walk down the street and get a bunch of great food depending what I feel like as long as it's not Mexican. (My state lacks that one.)Including baked goods and candy.

Like I said before, usually it's pretty good, but recently the tourists have turned pretty nasty. One year I spent the whole summer on the trolly with no problems and this year I'm running into a slew of incidents. Dunno what it is.