Awaiting Feedback Previewing avatars?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Antidote, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Antidote Façade

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is a pathetically meagre request, but, much like we have a 'preview' feature with signatures and general posts, could this possibly be made available for avatars also?

When you click on your avatar to change it, then select a new one, it updates automatically. Generally when I'm making avatars I think they're ok, then when I see how they look on the site I'm like WHOA *delete edit reupload*. You may say, "why not just keep doing as you are and trying again?", but I've noticed that clogs up the recent activity tab with things like 'Coma has a new avatar!' 'Coma has a new avatar!' ad infinitum. Things like this...embarrass me. :x

I sometimes have problems putting into words what I actually mean, so I hope someone gets where I'm coming from. If not and it's a silly request, just close this pls.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Just as an FYI, the "X has a new avatar" only appears once a day, I believe. (So to get a new, separate "X has a new avatar," someone would have to upload a new avatar each day.) I only see one for today for you at 5:38 AM (PDT). :)

3. Antidote Façade

Are you sure? I uploaded an avatar a few weeks ago, didn't like it so edited the same file and uploaded it again and it kept doing it.

If we had the option to confirm or cancel a new avatar, with a view of what it would look like, we could quietly make our own changes if we didn't like the outcome rather than have it uploaded automatically and on recent activity.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, yeah, I was wrong, but it's not that big of an annoyance to me, personally, and it's kind of hidden. The only way to see it is to go to the Recent Activity page or the Recent Activity tab on a member profile.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This annoys me, too. Albeit it's mostly a consistency issue for me. I don't change my avatar much, but I hate that I can't preview it when I do change it. It's usually change it, then go look at a post to see it. Don't like how it comes out? Change it back and keep working on it. Or if I'm trying out different avatars, then it's the same process many times over. And like I said, I don't like how I can preview other things, but not the avatar. Too inconsistent for my tastes.

6. Misty gimme kiss

There's no switch for us to turn on previewing avatars, sadly. I can put in a suggestion on the XF support boards but minor things like this don't usually gain much traction.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Indeed. It doesn't hurt, though, and I'll be sure to like it when you post it. :)

8. Antidote Façade

That's understandable- I guess in the greater scale of things it is a pretty minor request. It's up to you, but if you feel that it wouldn't really go anywhere then I wouldn't worry about it. :D

9. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Since this does not require actually uploading the file, you do not need XenForo to make this feature.

In lieu of waiting, I made a client-side script to fill this request. If the staff wish to use the idea, I welcome them to; the code is open source. Otherwise, you can use it on a per-user basis.

Hope it helps.

10. Antidote Façade

This is awesome - thank you so much! Will definitely be a big help to me.

Seeing as a solution has been presented I guess this can be closed? Please & thank you @Misty

11. Misty gimme kiss

I would rather leave it open as this is a feature we would like to implement officially and I've some ideas as to how.

12. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Not sure if this is related but I can no longer view my own avatar anywhere except my profile page and posts. It just displays a blank space instead.

Capture.PNG

Tried all the regular mumbo jumbo to solve it and nothing.

13. Misty gimme kiss

No changes have been made regarding avatars. if you're using Makaze's script that is not something we support or can help with.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

15. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Derp~

That was the cause. I uploaded another avatar and it works fine. I went ahead and used the one you gave me because my PS is 10-0.

Problem solved. I haven't actually implemented Makaze's script for avatars yet so it wasn't that but it was due to the image itself.