Support Solved Avatar Cutoff Issue

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not sure if this is a site issue or not, so if it's not, please move this to Technology.

Anyway, I ran into this same issue when I did the Asami Sato avatar for Ghetto in September, and it's not with all avatars, only some. The troublesome avatars are fine in some areas, such the message user info box and member card, but in other areas, such as the forum list, personal details page, and discussion list (both on threads I've started and threads I've posted in), they get cut off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Misty gimme kiss

I've never had this issue before. Could you upload one of the avatars that's doing this so I can try it on my end & check out the image?

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Spyro 2.png

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Misty: Yo! Did you ever get a chance to test this?

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Misty, I know you've been extremely busy, but did you ever get a chance to try this?

If it's not you specifically that needs to try it, perhaps @Plums or @Llave could find the issue?

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

I believe it may have something to do with what program you saved it with or how you saved it. I used the avatar you uploaded here and it did have the same issue, however when I uploaded and saved it in Photoshop as a new file, I was not able to replicate the problem.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not sure what the problem could be since I edit all of my avatars the same way, and most of them don't have that issue, only some like those specific ones of Spyro and Asami. Here's what I do:
    1. Save the image. If it's not PNG, I add .png at the end so the quality stays intact when downsizing it.
    2. Crop and re-size it on Imgur.
    3. Save it.

This image, for example, originally JPEG, doesn't have that problem when doing the above. However, ones like the Spyro one you tested and the Asami one I did got Ghetto do.

8. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Step 2 is probably where your problem lies. I doubt you will have this problem if you crop and resize using an actual program instead.

As a side note, image types are not changed simply by changing the file ending. You have to re-export it from a program such as MS Paint or GIMP to convert it to another type.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Unfortunately, I can't afford Photoshop, and the last time I tried the free alternative GIMP, it wouldn't work. However, seeing as it's only with some images, and a small number at that (so it doesn't happen very often), it's not that big of a deal, just weird.

For example, just throwing a wild number range out here, nine images out of ten will work just fine, and if I redid them repeatedly, the same nine images would still be just fine. However, some images, like those certain ones of Spyro and Asami, have problems. This leads me to believe it's not an issue with what I'm using to edit them, but the images themselves.

Bad Example:
    Test 1.png

Good Example:
    Test 2.png

Both were edited the exact the same way. Here are the sources:
    Spyro 2.png Spyro 3.jpg

Edit - 2:33 PM (PDT): Looks like the problematic images even get screwed up when being uploaded.

10. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah you're already flirting with disaster by changing the extension on files. That's not how you convert between formats. You can just open it in Paint and then re-save it, no need for Photoshop or Gimp.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Oh, Paint automatically saves as PNG? Awesome!

Also, could you move this to Technology, please, since it doesn't appear to be a site issue? :)

Edit: I've been changing the file extension because @Hero of Time mentioned you could do that in a post here.

Edit #2: Nope. This Asami avatar, for example, was already PNG, but I re-saved it with Paint, anyway. Cropped and re-sized on Imgur and the issue is still present with this specific avatar. See the stats area (where my name is white) and see the difference on the member card, where it's properly being displayed:

upload_2014-7-17_22-9-47.png

Unedited original if it helps somehow:
    Gen Test 1.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  12. Plums Wakanda Forever

Try to crop and stuff in imgur, save, then open it in paint and save it from there.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nope. :(

upload_2014-7-17_22-45-10.png

14. Misty gimme kiss

Hero of Time is wrong. That's not how image formats, or really any kind of format, works.

I don't know much about how imgur works but I know that many image hosting sites' built in editors are crap. I'd give Gimp another try if you find that you're doing a lot of image resizing / editing. I feel confident that if you remove imgur, use a proper image editor, and stop renaming extensions these will work fine.

15. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

No. You have to set it to save as PNG in the 'Save as type:' or what have you dropdown, then save.

OR

Set it to 'Any/All' and then change the file ending to .png yourself in the filename.

First method is better.
    Expanded:

Images are encoded in different ways depending on the format they are exported from an image editing program in. Sometimes the name at the end of the file can be wrong and the image will still load, like in a browser (which often auto-detects the image type from the data inside and ignores the file ending). For example, all KHV avatars are loaded using a generic JPEG URL even if they are an animated GIF or PNG file. When you save them to your computer, it will attempt to save the file as a JPG leading to a broken image in your hard drive. This is where renaming can come in handy. Because the file is actually encoded in GIF format, changing the file extension to .gif will allow your computer to load it correctly. Same with PNG.

However, renaming an image that is encoded in JPG to GIF or PNG will cause the image to break in some way. The image's data is not converted to the other type, but you still want the browser to treat it as a different type. That is bound to cause problems.

It is remotely possible that KHV's automatic JPEG URL-ing could cause a problem, but if so, others would have the same problems. We know there are problem with your methods of converting. Focus on them.

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

It's already set to that by default, so I'm all good there.

That makes perfect sense.

Although I'm still confused why most images don't have problems with my method, only some. Using my example from earlier, nine out of ten images are all fine, but the tenth has issues. And it's not a "sometimes works; sometimes doesn't" thing, because if I redid those ten images with my method, the nine would still be fine, so maybe it's something to do with both my method and certain images at the same time.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

Imgur is having issues today, so I finally learned how to crop and re-size with Paint. I always knew it could be done, I just didn't know how and never bothered to learn since I had Photobucket and then Imgur.

Anyway, it seems to resolve a lot of the issues. My current avatar, for example, at smaller sizes only displayed a very small section, only showing the side with Simba's left eye. After cropping and re-sizing it on Paint, the issue disappeared. However, the Spyro one that I used in the OP of the thread is still having the same issue, so that I suspect is an issue with the avatar, though, strangely, Plums was able to get it to display correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.