Nomura prepared to go beyond KH3

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Krowley, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Krowley Moderator

Yes, we've got tidbits of information here and there about development updates, and so the LA Times took their turn at bat to interview Nomura. The interview was posted a few days back, but still holds some interesting information concerning Kingdom hearts philosophy, continuation, and gameplay resemblance to past games. As per usual, it's too late to confirm anything KH3-wise, but if you like to read on anything KH related, the article can be seen below.

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Krowley, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Karuta
      Karuta
      "Only the particular enemy they have been fighting the past 10 years will come to an end."
      I'm not sure how to take this. It means more Kingdom Hearts after KH3, which is definitely a good thing, I just really hope they don't end up milking it like they did with all the spinoffs they have released. Maybe after KH3 is released there won't be as much pressure on Square to release a new KH game, and they can take their time to create a new enemy after Xehanort is gone.
    2. CloudStrife2k9
      CloudStrife2k9
      I don't like how he keeps referring to them as "spin-offs" when pretty much all, besides re:Coded, have been important.

ejghsdkgh
    3. Hiro ✩
      Hiro ✩
      Except Days was a filler game that introduced a character (who i like) with no use.
    4. CloudStrife2k9
      CloudStrife2k9
      wellllllll, Day's is about Organization XIII, which is a huge part of the story. And it's about one of the main characters in the series; Roxas.
    5. KeybladeSpirit
      KeybladeSpirit
      The same could be said about Coded (and its remake, Re: Coded) too. It's because of the events in Coded that Mickey sends Sora the letter that leads to DDD.
    6. Hiro ✩
      Hiro ✩
      That could have been explained in like 3 cutscenes.
    7. Misty
      Misty
      It's entirely likely that another antagonist will take Xehanort's place--I suppose not just ending it could be seen as "milking," but so long as the games are good fun and have a quality story, I'd be happy to see Kingdom Hearts XVI.
      I think it's popular amongst those who aren't enraged by the lack of major, numbered titles to refer to them as "side games"--not absolutely mandatory nor as important as the core games (Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, and now III), but they still present important information or explore characters. Not quite a core game but also not quite a spin-off.
      ( I'd consider Chi a spin-off, tho )

In my opinion the value of each of the side games varies--Coded has about two pieces of information worth having, whereas Birth by Sleep rivals Kingdom Hearts II in its relevance to the major story.
    8. Key of Awakening
      Key of Awakening
      It was more like it was about Roxas, Xion, and Axel chilling out together eating ice cream after a mission =/ . It only got important at the end when it explained the Roxas vs Riku encounter and why Roxas can dual wield keyblades.

I actually didn't expect this to happen, I've always figured KH3 would be the conclusion to the series, guess I was wrong XD. With this is mind, I hope the series continues in a positive manner and continues to wow the audience.
    9. Light-Rune Maven
      Light-Rune Maven
      Well she actually might have a use. They ARE bringing her back after all, and I have a theory on how that might work out... Anyway, I agree with heartless: I hope the company won't try and keep milking the series and give the team some time to come up with a good new villain.
    10. Chevalier
      Chevalier
      As nice as this is, I wonder how much they can keep using Sora and Co' for everything. I know Disney characters can be reused, but I don't know if the others can go on and on for more than ten years and on.

I always Figured Kingdom Hearts could go on like Final Fantasy, except in the same universe. Different characters and times, but same worlds, ect.
    11. 61
      It amazes me how we get so many interviews from Nomura that don't tell us anything we didn't already know, or couldn't figure out for ourselves. He seems to be an expert at dodging questions and withholding information. Still, it's nice to get conformation on things.
    12. Misty
      Misty
      Considering how he's recently admitted to not planning where the series was going, I'm beginning to wonder if it's out of wanting the game to have surprises or that he genuinely doesn't know (and doesn't want to admit that).
    13. Menos Grande
      Menos Grande
      Despite what all Deep-KH-Lovers think, Nomura stated in previous interviews that all these games are actually spin-offs and not side games, not only that he go as far as tell that the major importance of them was to keep the fanbase satisfied, as the core game wasn't released.

So is not that ALL these side games didn't had new plot, is that the plot that they introduced was almost all disposable, so the story is there mainly to keep us occupied. Think about it, what losing Xion would made to the larger scheme of things in KH universe?

That being said, It is pretty obvious that COM (that was planned since KH I, by Nomura's statements) and BBS (that could be a numbered/Console title) were the most important games for the game development, the other spin-offs only overcomplicated the plot (which wasn't necessary to continue).

If we see Days for an instance, It is a game that is only worth playing to pass the time of deep fans, and see some information about the "villians", because IF you play Days before KH II (as it should be chronologically), KH II loses the surprise effect that it had when we started playing the game with Roxas and not Sora, and by the end of KH II we pretty much know everything that was necessary to understand Roxas (minus Xion).

Re:codded/Codded also had minor plot that could be the start of KH 3, I don't know about 3D as I didn't played , but as far as the other games goes they were not needed, they are important now because the plot was enlarged , but they were not important at first.

I am a bit concerned that this current statement seems to indicate that he didn't started making KH 3 by now, so he is pretty behind what I would hope to be..
      And this other part gives me shivers
      Just make the game already ç.ç
    14. Anti-Coat
      Anti-Coat
    15. Plums
      Plums
      As interested as I am about what could happen in the future of the series after KH3, at this point I just want to focus on getting to KH3.

He can flesh out the rest of the universe properly after that, since there would be no pressing huge titles he's leading (possibly).
    16. Key of Awakening
      Key of Awakening
      Again, this game was only important for the ending. Most of the game wasn't really that important, it was just Sora and Riku taking on The Mark of Master Exam.
    17. Anti-Coat
      Anti-Coat
      Well that's not entirely correct either. Sure, the plot of the series itself was only advanced in the end (and significantly enough to warrant playing, mind you), but there was tangible character development on Riku's part for the series. It also introduces new worlds, and advances the plots of old ones. If KHII was any indication, KHIII will play off of those furthered plots. All in all, it was one of the most important non-main series games. More important than CoM, even.
    18. Menos Grande
      Menos Grande
      Even though I didn't played it yet, I don't buy Riku's plot, he already had that character development of conquering his darkness at REVERSE REBIRTH, I think staying in this topic through another game only takes the importance of that game we already played, and puts in question if they can show Riku do something other than fight his inner darkness over and over, I get it , you have an inner conflict , but if you are stuck in it is pretty difficult to believe that there was actually some character development.

I didn't lose my hopes that some day they'll do an emulator of 3Ds so I can play Kingdom Hearts 3D, and that it will be before KH III, so I won't see the videos for now.

And on further point.. you said that the game is important because it links all previous games together, but my original point was "The spin offs, aren't necessary for the major plot, only to keep us teased" If the game is important to link "unimportant games" is like saying "Spin offs are important to explain spin offs", so The spin offs created a demand that wasn't there previously, sure NOW THAT THEY EXIST they are "important" "cannon" as they enlarged (and overcomplicated) the plot, but their own importance is mainly within themselves.
    19. dabestgamer
      dabestgamer
      I dunno.

I'd like to think that the non-numbered games hold some importance.

I keep hearing about how people who jump from I straight to II got confused because they didn't touch (Re:)CoM...

...so I can only imagine how bad it could be for them going from II straight to III... seeing as how... you know... there were four games made in between them now?

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather be getting these "spin-offs" than be getting nothing at all.