Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to focus on KH3

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Meilin Lee, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

After almost a decade of working on Final Fantasy XV, Tetsuya Nomura will be handing over directing duties of the Final Fantasy title to Hajime Tabata (Type-0 director) in order to focus on Kingdom Hearts III.

Square-Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda states:

via IGN

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Meilin Lee, Sep 17, 2014.

1. DualBladeRoxas
      DualBladeRoxas
      Alright! Now that he's putting aside FFXV, KH3 will come out sometime during this lifetime and I won't have to be frozen and re-awoken in a century or two.

(for those of you who don't get what I'm saying, I'm making fun of the fact that Square Enix is EXTREMELY slow at releasing games)

1. Roxas gif.gif
    2. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      ...Whoa, did not expect this.

But hey, now we know that KHIII will be moving forward a little quicker~
    3. Light-Rune Maven
      Light-Rune Maven
      I am both overjoyed and... shocked. I always saw FFXV and KHIII as a kind of set, mostly between being advertised alongside eachother, both taking notoriously long to be developed and, the fact that Nomura was working on both (Even saying what didn't make it into KH3 was planned to be added to FFXV). Now that Nomura has left XV, I find myself wondering how that image will hold up. They might not be released as close to each other anymore, heck XV might wind up extremely different in certain aspects. True, it's late in development for XV and they would be a little hard pressed to make any changes that are too extreme, but... well you people know how development can be (probably better than I do actually).
    4. Lite
      Lite
      This is...unexpected. But I'm not complaining. While I am looking forward to FFXV, I'm looking forward to KHIII WAAAY more, so this is extremely good news imo if it means quicker development of the game.
    5. Anixe
      Anixe
      While kinda sad to see Nomura leave, I felt like it was the best for them to "move things along", as a lack for better term. Glad the Type-0 guy is in charge though, especially hearing very decent feedback from the game a few years back. Sensing it will also tie in more with the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos thing they've been kind of hinting at since it was announced almost a decade ago (yikes...).

But I wouldn't blame Nomura if he felt overwhelmed with these two big titles, especially with one of them being in a sort of development hell. I hope this Square-Enix waiting game will reach closer to a satisfying conclusion.
    6. Crypt
      Crypt
      Let's just hope Final Fantasy XV is still a great game after this change. Been looking forward to that since its first appearance.
    7. AzzyFox
      AzzyFox
      I think Nomura made the right choice. Kingdom Hearts has not had as much focus as Final Fantasy has had in recent years, and the Final Fantasy team can manage without him. Kingdom Hearts needs him.
    8. Arch
      Arch
      Glad Tabata's directing now. Though I feel that he's a better director than Nomura I'm glad he wasn't involved from the beginning because

Maybe Tabata can direct FFXVI or XVII after this. c:

In any case, this is a sign that XV doesn't need him anymore because of how far in development it is.
    9. libregkd
    10. exile0025
      exile0025
      hoping that doesn't effect ff15 to much really looking forward to it
    11. Karuta
    12. Dredica
      Dredica
      Thank God.
    13. DigitalAtlas
      DigitalAtlas
      Consider me hype for this. I haven't liked a Nomura directed game in ages. MEANWHILE... This guy made Crisis Core. You have my sale, FFXV[DOUBLEPOST=1411332800][/DOUBLEPOST]
      Square just hates success. It's the only reason I can imagine keeping him and Kitase out of the director's chair
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    14. libregkd
    15. DigitalAtlas
      DigitalAtlas
      Weird, I did not know about his coded legacy. Still, Crisis Core. He is forgiven.

That said, I know, and I didn't like KHII personally *HEATHEN*. Just found it too simple, and I didn't like the narrative much. Love KH1 and CoM, but KHII and I don't mesh well.
    16. Krowley
      Krowley
      I can see the argument behind this. KH2 was a little too linear for my taste. Didn't really challenge you outside the buffed up bosses.
      Though I am looking forward to more Kingdom Hearts III production, I will miss the minor things he could have added to XV.
    17. Plums
      Plums
      Wait, vanilla Coded or Re:Coded, lol? If it's the latter I'm a little more forgiving since Re:coded was pretty fun gameplay wise (and also let you change difficulty level whenever you felt like it~).
    18. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      Unless I'm mistaken, Tabata had no involvement with Re:coded, just the original Coded (I'm watching the credits of Re:coded right now, and I'm only seeing Tabata's name being mentioned as Co-director on the original title).
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    19. Dredica
      Dredica
      Crisis Core was a masterpiece; he definitely has a solid resume to be the directer then.