Anime Madoka Magica: Rebellion

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Mysty, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Mysty Unknown

Went to see it in theaters and even got a signed sheet from the voice actors. But lets see... This movie is a sequel to the anime: Puella Magi Madoka Magica. And I mean direct sequel. There is plenty in this movie to love and hate. Mostly you come out of the movie angry and upset for reasons I shall put in spoiler tag. Nonetheless, what did you - those who saw it - think of the movie and how do you think the next one will be.

So let me note the highlights for me. Cough cough. MAMI VS HOMURA BATTLE SCENE WAS JUST... AMAZING. The animation alone and the battle within the 4th dimension is one of the most stellar fights I have seen in all anime. My other highlight, once everyone remembers what the hell is going on, Sayaka and Kyoko have a little moment of holding hands and Sayaka says the one phrase that made me cry. "When I died, I thought I had no regrets, but then after that, I realized my one true regret was leaving you behind." That alone was beautiful. Also another good thing was that everyone had a lot of screen time unlike the anime itself.

Now for the downsides. Homura is no longer on my list of respectful characters since she decided to become the devil and such. Another disappointment is that Nagisa Momoe did not have as much screen time as a human which was something I really wanted. I wanted to know this new magical girl, but I was sadly not given that in depth. THE WORST THING WAS THE ENDING AFTER THE CREDITS. Deliberately showing Homura lean off a cliff is the ultimate way to troll and say here is a cliff hanger, have fun.

In general though, the movie made me happy, sad, angry, and cry which is something I want out of any movie or anime. This did the job and I cant wait for the 4th (2nd if that's how you see it) to come out and play over seas. My hopes are that we get a big Homura vs Madoka fight, Nagisa gets more back story and screen time, and we figure out what Homura exactly did to the Incubator race. If things go the same way as they did last time, it should arrive sometime next year around October - December.

2. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

...Who's seen it, where can I find it with english subtitles online and how was it?

3. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

The blu ray/dvd doesn't come out in Japan till April. It'll have English subs so you could import it but if that's too expensive then it'd be available online some point after that.

4. Mysty Unknown

http://kh-vids.net/threads/madoka-magica-rebellion.143254/

I already made a topic for this a while back. Requesting the pages are merged.

Also, you will just have to wait for the DVD/ BR to come out. I myself saw it in theaters. You can find very bad quality videos of it online, but I wouldn't know where to check.

5. Jin うごかないで

Still waiting on Madoka movie to be subbed. Alongside Last mission & Persona 3. Really fansubbers should have it out in 2 months but lord is it taking forever to sub these movies. whereas evangelion movie 3 got subbed the next day after release :C

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

_MERGED

A friend and I had watched it through questionable means, heh, but my impressions basically boiled down to: YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was pretty torn on how I felt about it, but after a while I think the direction they took was the best for Homura's character arc. It was incredibly clear Homura tied her existence and all around joy to Madoka by the end of the show, and her obsession being what corrupted her to rebelling againstMadoka to "free" her was really fulfilling. I'm so glad that they addressed that, and it sets up an interesting conflict of Madoka's wants versus Homura's. GODDESS VS DEMON NO HOLDS BRAWL POSSIBLY ENSUING.

That said, I didn't see that coming at all, lol. I knew to expect a radical plot twist and thought that Homura becoming a witch was it, but considering it's Madoka I should've damn well knew the suffering quota was nowhere near full. I'm glad Kyubey got incapacitated, though I do feel kinda bad for it. ;c Sayaka and them were excellent, and CANON SAYOKO (lbr as if there were any doubts). Overall, this movie was very pleasing, and even if they just end it here I'd be pretty happy with it.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I have to wait until APRIL to watch it? UGHHHHHHHHH

The series was awesome, so I'm super pumped to watch Rebellion.

8. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Can't wait to sail the seven seas!

9. Mysty Unknown

It technically already is subbed, its just obtaining the material is a challenge unless you use, as said before, questionable means.

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Oh, this movie. Is it controversial to say that Rebellion was in my top five movies of last year? I say this not as a fan of the Madoka Magica series, but as a film lover. Everything just felt really spot on for me, from the characters, to the story, and especially the animation. Pretty much half the movie is just one fight scene, and it works so well.

And the ending!

I really liked that ending! I’ve heard people say that it’s out of character for Homura to have done what she did. From my point of view though, she seems justified. Think about it; she went through so much emotional trauma during the original series, she’s not going to simply be okay. She didn’t complete her journey during that time. This movie was a completion of her journey (for the time being, anyway).

She wants to be with Madoka. She doesn’t want her to be forgotten. Essentially, Homura does become the Devil, but for her own justifiable reasons. Is it the best decision? Of course not, but the way she goes about it is completely in character.

And those final moments between Homura and Madoka only hinted of what could be possible now. It also showed the true form of their relationship: enemies. Yes, the two of them care about each other, but at the end of the day, their philosophies will clash against each other. It was clear in the series, and it’s shown much more here.

11. Jin うごかないで

Nope actually you are right. Except the quality on the rips are terrible. I asked a friend who hosts an anime site and they said they have raw footage but it's basically a terrible cam. We won't be seeing a subbed version to stream until 3-4th of April when the release an official Dvd/BD disk is released. That's probably when it'll go up on anime sites but for now there isn't a decent quality subbed version that's up yet