KHV Games of the Year 2014

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Dec 19, 2014.

1. libregkd -

2. Arch Mana Knight

Here is a decent list of games released in 2014.

I don't have a list of 10. I've played more than 10 games but I really don't feel like some of them deserve a mention. I guess I haven't played too many games either.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Super fun intense violence. The nemesis system is great. Losing to an orc, having that orc taunt you for dying or running away, then dealing sweet revenge is extremely satisfying. Considering how many stolen elements from other games are here, I'm hoping to see another franchise steal the nemesis system.

2. Bravely Default - I wasn't sure what I was in for when I bought this. Happy to see that the characters were great and the story was enjoyable enough to keep me going through this game despite it's weak second half.

3. Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 Remix - A remaster of the best games in the series? All the awesome. All of it. Replace Coded with KH3D and this would have been perfect.

4. Watch_Dogs - Despite the whole graphics uproar that happened when the release for this game drew near, it was still immensely fun. You're basically Batman. Using technology to take down bad guys without even having to be nearby. How did that
    transformer blow up and black out the city? Because I'm Batman.

5. Octodad: Dadliest Catch - Octodad is way too amusing and silly to not be on this list. It's just one of those games that exists to frustrate you and make you feel warm inside all at once.

6. Assassin's Creed Unity - It has its problems. Social chests and the need for companion apps to get rewards was a bad move on Ubisoft's part. Take that away though and you still have a beautiful game that's fun to play with friends. Especially if you try to stealth your way through a mission.

7. Five Nights at Freddy's - The novelty of the jump scare wears off after a while but during those first few moments, it's pretty intense.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

[​IMG]
    1. The funnest game I've played all year. A master class in terms of excellent mechanics (combo strings, speed, dodge windows, weapon choices, enemy design, etc.,) fun characters, level design, performance (will say I'm a little disappointed at the inconsistent 60FPS,) graphics, and overall undeniable charm. I find it hard to stop playing once I've picked up the controller.

[​IMG]
    2. It's a crime how overlooked this gem of a game is. The Turn() system is an awesome innovation that combines strategy with isometric dungeon-crawler-esque combat, all while telling a strong intimate story in a very fresh sci-fi world. Also, has the best soundtrack this year.
    [​IMG]
    3. Finally, a strong Alien-specific game. Isolation manages to combine crafting, stealth, paranoia, and excellent A.I., for what fees like organic horror rather than just scripting. Dealing with the Alien your first time is a moment to truly remember.

[​IMG]
    4. Personally, I think this is Telltale's strongest experience so far. Bursting with style and captivating writing, as well as a soundtrack that rubs me just the right way, as well as featuring quick-time events that enhance the story rather than feel like a chore.

[​IMG]
    5. While some no doubt enjoyed Brawl, I was very relieved to see Wii U/3DS strike a good balance in gameplay between Brawl and Melee in terms of speed, combo potential, weight, movesets, etc., while featuring a great cast of characters and strong online. (too many overpowered items and bad stages though)
    [​IMG]
    6. I'll admit the final riddle is far too cryptic for its one good, this is easily THE SCARIEST GAME I've ever played. Photorealistic graphics, perfect sound design, no hand holding, and overall truly horrifying and memorable.
    [​IMG]
    7. I definitely enjoyed the main campaign of Bioshock Infinite, but to me, Burial at Sea - Episode 2 improves on that concept in every way: more creative abilities, more choice in situation management, a better story, and a stronger conclusion. Stealth and strategization are Bioshock's strong points, not corridor shooting
    [​IMG]
    8. There's nothing exactly wrong with this game (the Nemesis system is very cool) it just doesn't seem to do enough for me to make an identity for itself. Batman: Arkham series combat, Assassin's Creed movement and climbing, Lord of the Rings world, and not much unique or memorable besides the Nemesis system. Complaints aside, a damn good game.

Honorable Mentions:

"Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire"
    - While not at all an innovate title (seeing as it is, afterall, a Nintendo IP) ORAS manage to not only infuse all of the great new features introduced in Pokemon X and Y into my favorite generation of Pokemon, but it also manages to retell the original story of Hoenn in an epic, enjoyable way, complete with Secret Bases and Pokemon Contests. Delta Episode is, honestly, some of the best storytelling Pokemon has ever gone through.

I still really want to play "Wolfenstein: The New Order" and "This War of Mine" and "Dragon Age: Inquisition" and "Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. libregkd -

5. Fellangel Bichael May

Welp here I goes. I don't have 10 because I college kicked me too hard x-x

1. Tales of Hearts R - Yup. My number one happens to be on a handheld system. I'm going to be honest, I wasn't too excited for Xillia 2 since the first game really didn't pull me. When I heard Hearts coming out for the Vita, I knew I had to get it. Just like any other Tales games, it has your cookie cutter, yet great story, loveable cast of characters, the never ending skits that I, oh, so enjoy, and Mr. Wonder Chef always there for those tasty meals I need to make every battle. One of the best Tales games I have played up to this date AND my personal GOTY.

2. Watchdogs - I bought a PS4 all the way back in Fall 2013 to play this specific game. Even when pushed all the way back in May, and even with all the negativity around the game, it still didn't falter my joys with this game. I enjoyed Watchdogs VERY much. And let's be honest, hacking through the streets during a chase or even pulling a blackout in the middle of the night while surrounded never gets old for me.

3. Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Final Mix - I don't think I need an explanation for this game. Everything you wanted back then is now here with more content, 2 games + 1 movie, a great Collector's Edition (which I bought with great content), and revisiting that game again to spring up those old memories of nostalgia again. It's worth your money. Seriously, this is a Kingdom Hearts website. Who DIDN'T buy the game?

4. Tales of Symphonia HD - My second favorite Tales game finally hit the PS3. Such great memories stirred within me as I played the game from start to finish. Just take what I said for Hearts and apply it here. Also worth noting, this is rated ONLY by the first game. As far as I'm concerned, there was never a sequel to that game...yup.

5. Freedom Wars - To explain this game, it's like Monster Hunter. Except monsters though, you fight giant mechanical behemoths. Which is really epic. I didn't think working off 1 million years would be this much fun. But hey, the story's not too bad, the combat is very fun, character customization is nicely done, and it's all FOR THE GREATER GOOD.
    Oh yea also, you get penalized for simply walking. I wasn't even mad.

6. Infamous: Second Son - I'm very happy to say I enjoyed Second Son. Interesting characters, great powers, loved the Seattle setting, and Karma making an even bigger impact on the game. That being said, it does still have it's trips on somewhat repetition, but otherwise, a fantastic addition to my enjoyed games.

7. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - A CoD game on a GOTY list? BLASPHEMY.
    In all seriousness, people really need to learn to stop jumping on the CoD hate bandwagon. I had to try it out myself to see if it was as good as some said. I was actually surprised. Sledgehammer Games did a great job putting some new turns on the game. Welcome back Call of Duty. Let's see if your other two brothers can hold on and create a game similar, if not better than yours.

8. Super Smash Bros (Wii U/3DS) - What can I say about Smash Bros? It's a great game to play with friends in an intense setting. The 8 player is rather excessive, but chaotic fun is sometimes the best fun. Playing alone is rather...dull. Make sure you have some friends to play with! Amiibos are not a good substitute! I learned the hard way how hard they can beat you!

Honorable Mentions
    Destiny -
    Borderlands + Halo= Destiny. That's pretty much it. Halo looking game with Borderland loot/enemy system. Not saying it's a bad thing. I sank hours in the game, grabbing all the wonderful loot and playing matches both with other guardians and against them as well. I'm afraid, though, it leaves a lot to be desired. A $35 DLC is a rather poor attempt to "expand" your game. But for what it is, it's a solid FPS sci-fi shooter.

Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars
    - With a great producer like Atlus, I really hoped for a good game. I was somewhat right. But boy, I learned the hard way how tedious and somewhat annoying it is making the perfect team of children to kick monster butt. Combat does get repetitive too after 3-4 dungeons in. Well at least you got 7 lovely girls to choose from.

Five Nights and Freddy's (Both 1 and 2) - I'm only mentioning this game because of how mysterious and intriguing the story is to both games. Other than that, the game is a heart attack simulator

There are many games I wished I could've played this year such as Inquisition or Unity, but either I didn't have the money or they were very poor at launch and wanted to pick them up at a better time.