dragon ball z

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by KHFAN300, Jun 23, 2007.

1. KHFAN300 Moogle Assistant

dbz rules:D

2. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

Yeah :3 It's like my childhood anime.

Plus it's one of the very few animes that I still watch.

3. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

It was the first anime that i every saw. Sadly they never show it anymore.

4. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

I loved it as a kid... When I tried rewatching it as I am older, it just seems like 3 episods of talking about how great they are, then 5 episodes of fighting then 50 episodes of powering up, then some more fighing, then some one will transform and so on...

5. Nexit@h XIV King's Apprentice

OH yes it rules!!! I was uses to watch it everyday when I was little...that's why I'm so violent nowadays...xDD

Note: I still watch it...xD

6. Sora-The keyblade wielder Destiny Islands Resident

I love DBZ! It got kinda weird after the buu saga though...

7. Roxas OG

The only saga I liked was the Frieza Saga, the ending was so epic.

8. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

I will always love DBZ. Old classic

9. Desmonic Kingdom Keeper

Yeah, I still watch it too.....Let me guess, Sic Radical right?..

Yeah, it was my favorite too.. It was the only one, that seemed they were going to get slaughtered, but then SUPER SAYIAJIN TRANSFORMATION!!

10. Anderson (☞゚∀゚)☞ You've lost the game.

It was okay until the Cell Saga. Once Goten and little Trunks came in, it started getting SO repetitive.

11. Soku Hollow Bastion Committee

Thats a REALLY bad example of DBZ...Shame shame.

12. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

I highly agree...
    (being young + watching an exploding planet = a new fear):D
    (fortunately I'm not that stupid anymore...)

13. Kaihedgie Gummi Ship Junkie

Otherwise, known as the second part of Dragon Ball in the Japanese manga, Drgaon Ball Z was arguably one of the greatest anime ever to grace public television. Dragon Ball Z is a nice mixture of fantasy, sci-fi, and its most prominent genre, martial arts. The anime was first aired in Japan in 1989 and ended in 1995. It follows the original story from the manga, from the Saiyan saga to the Buu saga and includes filler episodes created by Toei, in which a plenty of fights from the manga were extended and prolonged, something DBZ had become notorious for, as well as other action-oriented anime that followed it. It had also served the inspiration for future manga artists, most notably, Masashi Kishimoto of the Naruto franchise

Dragon Ball Z takes place a few years after the finale of Dragon Ball, in which Goku had defeated the offspring of the Demon King Piccolo in the Tenkaichi Budokai tournament to decide the fate of the world. Goku is now married to his wife, Chi-Chi and gave birth to a son, Gohan. All is peaceful until an intergalactic invader from outer space arrives on Earth in search of the legendary Dragon Balls. He locates the Dragon Ball that was kept with Gohan and soundly defeats Piccolo and Goku. The two enemies are forced to join together and eliminate this threat. During their second confrontation with this new enemy, the two are informed of their ultimate identities. Goku finds out that he is related to this enemy named Raditz, by being his blood brother, and that they are a race of human/ape hybrid aliens called Saiyans, while Piccolo learns that he is not a demon, but also alien, known as a Namekian. The two are narrowly able to kill Raditz after saving Gohan from being taken away, at the expense of Goku's own life, requested by his own arch-nemesis Piccolo.

From that point on, the series takes a drastic turn from being a mythic themed series to a sci-fi series. Unlike most typical anime, protagonists early in the series are killed by stronger villains on occasion in order to add to the serious nature. After the Freeza saga, the series began to emphasize more on well-presented fights in lieu of story-telling, though the seriousness of these fights seem to compensate for this. Near the climax of the Freeza saga, Goku awakens a hidden, legendary power known as the Super Saiyan, a being said to eclipse any other fighter in existence. The Super Saiyan power becomes the protagonists' main weapon after the Freeza saga as more and more powerful forms of the Super Saiyan form are discovered in each saga. In said form, a Saiyan's hair becomes spiky and is forced up, which then turns to a brilliant gold color, and the body is enveloped in a gold aura. As the Super Saiyan form evolves, the aura and hair themselves begin to take drastic changes and each form becomes more powerful than the last, as the highest ever reached is the third level (Super Saiyan 3)

After the anime had ended in Japan, it was dubbed in several countries around the world due to its immense success. The most prominent dubs were the ones for Latin America and North America. The Latin American dub retains the original material as no scenes are cut and the original soundtrack is kept the same. The North American dub was first handled by Ocean Studios, which contained somewhat of a heavy overhaul that included different sound effects, music and a new opening theme entitled Rock the Dragon, which became nostalgic amongst English-speaking fans. This dub was also heavily censored as well. Although characters getting punched onscreen is still kept in, sound effects in which punches connected were cut. Also, since characters constantly threw death threats, they instead threatened their opponents to be 'sent to the next dimension', though this is plausible since they do end up another world. Sometime late in the Freeza Saga, Funimation took over the dub and was broadcast in place of Ocean's dub. The censoring here was kept to a minimum as characters would now officially die instead of being blasted into another realm, though some of the blood is still cut out. The Funimation dub had new voice actors and kept in the original sound effects and a new soundtrack was composed by Bruce Falconer, whose work was widely considered to be better than the original one made by Shinsuke Kikuchi. The Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z was perhaps the bomb that unleashed the anime explosion in North America as well as other English-speaking regions, and since then, anime had integrated into our culture.

One of the ongoing debates in the Dragon Ball Z fandom were the original vs. the English, and had been widely regarded as one of the few anime with a superior English dub over the original voices with subjects touching on Son Goku's voice. Goku had been originally voiced by Masako Nozawa in Japan and had voiced him in DBZ and its anime spinoff, GT. In the Ocean Dub, he is voiced by Ian Corlett, who also voiced Mega Man in his animated series as well as the series arch-enemy, Dr. Wily. In the Funi dub, Sean Schemmel does his voice, who is widely regarded as the best voice actor for Goku, period as he gives him a proper masculine voice. Fans are somewhat irritated with Goku's Japanese voice as it has never once changed in tone or seiyu for that matter over the years. Whilst Masako's voice works well with Kid Goku, it completely throws off the character as Goku is an adult for the entire anime. Schemmel however, gave Goku a wider variety of character as his voice is given levels of ferocity and seriousness as well as upbeat tones as well. The English cast overall, presented a much better experience for the series

Another comparison debate is the music. The original Japanese audio is merely recycled from the original Dragon Ball anime. As mentioned above, the English Funi dub had replaced the original, melodramatic soundtrack with a more serious-toned soundtrack that gave more characters an emphasis on presentation that most English-speaking fans found more favorable and 'badass'

Dragon Ball Z was definitely one of the best anime ever, no matter how ridiculous it was at times. Unfortunately, today's anime fans are unable to appreciate its success in America and the impact it had there as well as anywhere else. It wasn't your typical everyday anime. It contained little fanservice at all, there were no 'emo' characters anywhere whatsoever, nor were there any stereotypes. No character was given plot invulnerability just for being the good guy. And only two characters in the entire series ever used a sword. Many characters, including Goku, have died more than once and at the near end of the anime, the entire Earth itself is destroyed. Perhaps the most sinister villain around was Freeza, who was essentially an intergalactic version of Hitler who was not only racist against a specific race, but was also insane and had even committed acts of genocide, only to face irony in the end after his death.

During the anime's run, the series spawned a total of 13 movies, introducing new baddies for the Z Fighters to combat. The most popular and most recurring villain character was Broly, who had appeared in three movies. He was best known for his villainous role as an insane Super Saiyan as opposed to the rest who fought on the good side. According to his backstory, Broly had obtained the Super Saiyan form years before Goku did, and was shown to be mentally unstable, and held a reflexive hate towards Goku for having cried so much when they were born on the same day. The anime also spawned two TV Specials as well. The first being Bardock: The Father of Goku. As the title says, it revolves around Goku's father, his uprising and eventual death at the hands of Freiza after attempting to rebel against him with a rally backing him up. Just like Goku, Bardock was a low-class Saiyan, but with a special ability to see into the future. Bardock is the first ever anime character in history to be given a canon presence in the manga

Funi is currently working on DVD boxsets for the uncensored version with their English voice cast having re-released two movies and the Cell Saga.

Any opinions or questions? o:

14. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

dragon ball z was a good anime... it kept going my brothers and i would always watch it

but there are a few things i found out that i should get out - just a bit of trivia

Chi Chi - Is what kids in Japan call their dad - but they gave that name to a woman - i find that wierd
    Gohan - means rice
    Pan - means bread

15. DarknessKingdom The Kingpin of the TV

Dude, did you like write an entire essay on DBZ or something?

o.O

Anyhoo, yeah, I agree. DBZ was a fantastic anime but I hated it after the Cell Saga.

16. Hayabusa Venomous

Surprisingly, that wasn't just a Wiki copy-paste 0.0

17. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

That saga was the only good saga imo.

Buu was lame until it got to Kid Buu.

and Frieza was boring and repetetive.

18. TwilightBlader Child of the Sun

Yea I have to agree about it being good up until the end of the cell saga. The only thing I liked about the buu saga was the fusion but overall this anime was awsome

19. Arch Mana Knight

To me...the Buu saga was the best. Super Buu and Vegito are just too awesome to describe.

20. RoxaSora2010 Nulla è reale. Tutto è lecito.

yeah, the Buu's saga is the best, and the Frieza's saga annoying me...