Genetic Manipulation

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Zexion of the Twilight, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

:mad: WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! People are actually agreeing with the tinkering of the genetic code! It's worse than cloning! Screw scientific revolution, this is not right!

2. ??? Banned

Opinion.......
    Fact: It potentaly could benifit ALL mankind
    Fact: It Could Also SCREW UP AND DESTROY ALL HUMANS

3. Shanny-Boo Traverse Town Homebody

Hm. For one who aspires to be a forensic scientist, and likes the subject of DNA, this is a very interesting subject indeed.

There is a book series entitled "Maximum Ride" where there are six kids who are 2% avian and can fly. Genetic experimenting, much? True, it can be cruel, but I think stuff can be learned from this.

Tinkering with the genetic code could lead to a lot of problems. I bet their test subjects (the thought makes me cringe) will have a lot of mutations, and not good ones they want, like night vision or something. DNA is made up of chemicals. There is sugar, which is attactched to phosphate, which then has one of four bases on it: adenine, guanine, thymine, or cytosine.

Adenine can only be paired with thymine to form a bar, and guanine can only be paired with cytosine to form a bar. Anything else results into a genetic mutation.

This also brings up another interesting point, and that is that there can only be so many ways you can pair up the four bases in a strand of DNA. And how people could possibly 'tinker' with the genetic code based on what I have said above, I'm not entirely sure. Then again, I'm only 13 and have only had some genetics from my science class last year. I haven't even taken biology yet.

Interesting subject though, if I do say so...

-realizes she sounds kind of nerdish- ... -twiddles thumbs and walks off-

4. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

............................ I meant unborn babies, deciding their traits for them. This completely defies natural selection.

5. sgh Destiny Islands Resident

I wasn't a big fan of natural selection to begin with (strongest will survive, look it up), but i agree, tampering with an unborn baby's features, what kind of shallow parents would consider such a thing? All it is doing is enforcing that in today's society how u look is what matters most. Why not ask the kid what they want, oh wait, u can't!!!

6. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

:mad: Kids are the f-ing future! By messing with their kid's traits, they alter the course of destiny! WTF happens to the baby's soul?

7. sgh Destiny Islands Resident

I'm pretty sure it was marked as disposable after the abortion laws were passed. Compared to that, this is like a step down on the screwed up baby's rights ladder.

8. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

What kind of human changes another's whole being? It's completely wrong!

9. no-reality_allowed ¢ℓαιяνσуαηт ℓσνєкιℓℓ

well im on both sides.........its wrong cause a human should be unique and you shouldnt be allowed to mess with their traits...........but since i like shanny-boo love the subject of DNA i cant help but become interested in it...............

hmm........what a coincidence, i happend to be watching a video about this yesterday in my biology class........you dont happen to live in florida do ya ZOT????

10. Shanny-Boo Traverse Town Homebody

Hm, perhaps, perhaps not.

Look at it this way- humans aren't going to live forever. We're going to progress as a species in maybe a thousand to a million years from now.

So scientists could eaither be destroying destiny- or speeding it up.

Then again it brings across the point of why the hell would parents do this to their kids in the first place. I do think that is unecessarily cruel, although if it needs to be done, it needs to be done. But I don't see it as something that is utterly NEEDED. If scientists want to mess with genetics, they can. But if I were a scientist wanting to do this, I'd mess with the genes of lab rats. NOT humans.

Then that brings up the whole point of test-tube babies and I'd rather not get into that heated argument.

Another thing- natural selection can suddenly change drastically. Sometimes it takes long periods of time, sometimes it takes short. Who knows? By the time scientists do figure out how to alter genes without a risk of death, humans may already have night sight or an increase in hearing.

11. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Lose the temper. REMEMBER, INTEL! =|

Now...I disagree with you 100%. And here's why; You aren't thinking, it seems...

Genetic tinkering is the only way to learn about human anatomy. If we /don't/ do it, we can't progress in our world, and if we can't, then we can't live long without discovery.

I personally think this is brilliant. For one; they've already figured out how to preserve life for long periods. Being able preserve our life will make it easier when, in theory, the time comes we have to move to another planet. If we don't do this, we all die when the apocalyptic events come in distant time. Tinkering with our genetic structures makes it so human tissue; as well as animal issue(us, dog's, cat's, etc.), can last longer. So, Zexion of the Twilight; do you want us all to die because people are against actually SAVING us, due to this genetic transformation? -- When the time comes that we can clone, it will actually preserve life, and avoid mass depopulation events. Such as Genocide; Murder; homicide; etc.

12. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

Here's an idea, we clone ourselves and put our original bodies in stasis. Then, we mind control the clones. That's good with me, but I don't feel it's ethical to alter embryos and change their DNA and program them to be zombie children, being the 'perfect' child. By controling what their entire structure, we could possibally be playing God. If there's one thing I know, it's that playing God only results in harm.

13. Inasuma "pumpkin"

That's IMPOSSIBLE. You can't ever possibly control the mind. It's far too complex that even the most highly studied engineer's in the topic don't know more than 1/1,000,000,000.

And you can't change an embryos DNA. It' far too dangerous, development would get way too sketchy, and that could result in ******ation.

14. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

1. You guys are getting way to pissed off at this. The babies they're working with aren't even alive. They have no say because they can't say. The parents have a right to do anything they think is best for the child, and if it's creating them ot be perfect, I'd be all for it. Quite franctly, I'd WANT to be born perfect.

2. This sounds awesome. I'm glad things like this are finally progressing to human subjects.

15. Inasuma "pumpkin"

(No ones mad, Cin. xD)

These advances have been going on for years, Cin. =P

16. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

Can someone close this before I go completely insane because of this much unethicality? Honest, I WILL GO CRAZY.

17. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

(Darkwatch - ^Mad^)

(-Closed-)

By request of Author.

I still think this is a cool idea...>.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.