What makes a great game?

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Zexion of the Twilight, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

What techniques are used to hook people to the games and compelling them to play constently?

2. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    For me it's the storyline of a game that hooks me, I love to get lost in the plot while playing great games with amazing storylines, thats why I like Final Fantasy so much, they have amazing story lines. (except FF8)

3. Rikku Hollow Bastion Committee

Final fantsy had great stories ffVII had a great story, also a great game has to have good gameplay, khII was great for it's gameplay, I didn't really like ffx-2's gameplay though!

4. Sorax SPAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEEEEE is a triumph.

i agree.....ffx-2 sucks......what's good about kh is it's free combat gameplay and that's what hooks me, interactive to the enviroment

5. Darkandroid Gets it Together

I would say a good storyline and gameplay, i don't care about graphics too much, if it has good graphics it's just a bonus

6. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

I dunno about you but I liked the part in FFX when they reach Zanerkand. Sad music with battle really makes the point go across: It's the end of the journey.

7. Claryssa Destiny Islands Resident

Storyline and gameplay are the selling points of games for me. Story especially; however, no matter how interesting the story, if I find I can't stand the gameplay, I won't continue to play the game. ><

8. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

So true, that's pretty much why I gave up on FF8, stupid Ultima Weapon.

9. Roxas OG

The thing that hooks me a lot is the music. The music and a well-developed storyline, whether it be good or not.

10. no-reality_allowed ¢ℓαιяνσуαηт ℓσνєкιℓℓ

the music.....the music is what catches my attention all the time, especially if it has a great story line to go with it......graphics are and extra

11. anonymous Merlin's Housekeeper

originality is important too. the problem is theres so many games its hard to think of something original.
    i dotn think graphics are that important, as ling as its not 8-bit.

12. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

How about Mythological names and weapons?

13. TotalBritish2.5 Merlin's Housekeeper

Not only does the game count, but you could say the cover art of the game count aswell.

14. Claryssa Destiny Islands Resident

Oooo.... I come back and find things that I can post and respond to. Yay~! :p

I can't really say that any games are original, as most are based in part on some sort of legend (most that I enjoy at least). What can really be called original? I'm not sure about taking originality as a factor for a good game. As long as it's interesting and perhaps has it's own unique twist, then I'm fine.

Mythology is a basis for a lot of the weapons and monsters in the FF games... it doesn't really make the games better (great as they are)... at least not in my eyes.

The cover art is definately an attention getter, same goes for the title. However, if I read the basic story on the back and it does not grasp my interest, I put it back on the shelf and forget about it.

15. EdoHime Merlin's Housekeeper

Good graphics, good storyline, lots of fighting, pirates, and maybe some comedy here and there.

16. Mish smiley day!

Likeable characters and a good storyline. If I can't empathise with the characters, then I find it hard to get 'into' a game.

17. KingMickey Gummi Ship Junkie

A great story line, awsome graphics, loadsa action, good battle system (if rpg).

Although graphics shouldnt always count I mean look at ff9 that was a brill game:)

18. EvilMan_89 Code Master

playability. how fun the game is. if a game has a crappy storyline like KH2 but has great game play, i would keep playing. or it could be the other way around and i'd still play. the graphics and music are extras to add to it. those wouldn't make me play if the game play was crap and the storyline was as well.

19. anonymous Merlin's Housekeeper

20. Claryssa Destiny Islands Resident

anonymous, I am not a Megaman fan, so that example does nothing for me. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.