YouTube Acquires Twitch for $1 Billion

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Meilin Lee, May 18, 2014.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

via Variety

Not sure what to think of this honestly, as I've never even used Twitch before. Thoughts?

2. cstar stay away from my waifu

Oh no....

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I'm loving the idea of this. This will make Twitch a google company and they will have to go through all this copyright stuff that they haven't needed to go through before. I am not entirely fond of the way Youtube's system has changed and I enjoy watching a lot of these twitch streams (when my computer lets them run)

So um... I can cry about it all I want but I'm just gonna have to wait and see what they do with it because I can't exactly change anything by whining.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Uhh welp, streaming officially has no future on Twitch. It was mediocre before, I have zero confidence that Google will do anything to improve it. I hold out vain hope that this will motivate Youtube to switch some videos back to the classical buffering system instead of streaming everything, but it is only vain.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

I still don't understand why people keep complaining about Google. YouTube's always had copyright rules in place, even before Google took over, and while I can agree they've changed them and they seem somewhat stricter, I haven't noticed them to be as extreme as people claim them to be.

I dunno, maybe it's just me or I'm a complete moron.

5. cstar stay away from my waifu

Google has a lot of automatch copyright policies and if you haven't noticed how much is has screwed over communities, you haven't been on youtube since 2012. Copyright policies did exist on youtube beforehand, but they weren't as evasive and troublesome. They tended to be pretty straightforward, and while more channels may have been taken down back then as opposed to now, there was something I feel that worked better when youtube wasn't owned by Google yet.

Anyway, with twitch maybe the policies will be different. I can't assume it will affect twitch the way it has affected youtube, because livestreaming is a bit different... but I am not going to keep my hopes up.

6. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

"You must have a Google account to use twitch"

7. Plums Wakanda Forever

Welp.

I guess this shouldn't be surprising considering the rise of streaming/LPs over the past few years. Now that the PS4/XBO are officially endorsing it and making it easier to do, it's become a very expansive and profitable field for whoever got their hands on it. I really hope Google doesn't change much around with Twitch or tries to make users link it up to their Google accounts, and all that funky stuff. Even if it may have its flaws, Twitch is pretty good as is and I would hate for it to become another watered down experience like YouTube has.

Knowing Google though, the chances of things being the same are preeeetty slim.

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

"According to sources" was said like four times in that article. I'm not saying that its BS or anything but a lot of the people that I watch on twitch (that actually have a following / pro gamers) think it is. Only time will tell, regardless if Google ends up buying Twitch and ruins it, some other site will step up and take over. It's not a huge deal in my eyes tbh.

9. Sara Tea Drinker

Oh **** me... *kneejerk reaction*

Seriously, all the changes on Youtube were by Google. The comments section now? Google, and they were TOO LAZY to make the comments section change over from the old one. So the old comments are IMPOSSIBLE to find the original comment with a reply. The forced Google+ BS that you have to have an account to EXIST on Youtube? Google... All the problems that gamers are having problems with copyright despite this being their paycheck during LETS PLAYS? Google. OR HELL, REVIEWS?! (Angry Joe, look if you don't believe me.) GOOGLE. Videos of people who made video games advertising said game being banned and spending 3 months trying to fix a problem? Google.

Not including all the complaints, from videos, from posters, from everyone out there... They haven't lifted a finger to change it.

Twitch is the biggest livestream video gaming site. I'm sorry about the rant, but seriously, I hate the fact that this is LEGAL for video games to be streamed and Lets Plays, and to get PAID for it. And Google is seriously screwing these people over for them to get more cash stuffed in their pockets. And do you know what? The gaming companies are getting MONEY out of this for free advertising. Seriously, this ticks me off.

And yes, I am sorry for the rant, but I seriously am tired of seeing gamers being screwed over by Google, first youtube, now Twitch. ><

10. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

This is me rn. In fact I think one of my Twitch follows already switched to a nice alternative... I'm gonna have to dig through my PMs & see if I saved it.

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well, excuse me while I officially give up my streaming life which never really got into full gear XD.

Seriously though, I can't say I'm too excited for this. Youtube is kind of a pain for copyright stuff, even for the smallest thing, so I feel like if we end up streaming something it'll be like "Oh, you're using copyrighted material, so we're going to block you." All of a sudden you're streaming a blank screen. I know that's not really how streaming works, but it just feels like that's going to happen.

12. Hissora ahurhurhur.

Its all just feels like more large media to take over video game outlets to me.... I mean video game journalism? Not the best. Social Networking on consoles? Uh i thought i was playing video games... Buy Doritos get in game content? wat. Google owning a totally user ran video game outlet is not gunna help.

13. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

kotaku has also reported on this, so i'm guessing it's real?
    but...there hasn't really been anything OFFICIAL so..