Your Religion Choice

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Rainbow~Monkey, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Rainbow~Monkey Gummi Ship Junkie

Why do you choose to be your religion?
    I'm just curious.
    I choose to be Christian because I believe that Jesus died on the cross and saved us from ours sins. And I believe God made the world. And other reasons.

2. T3F Chaser

I didn't choose. My mum was a christian, My dad was a christian, and they are both very religious people. So, I was born a christian.

3. Jayn

I didn't really chose one, actually.
    I was born Christian, but my faith sways often.
    I usually defend whatever's being put down like...

"RAWR, GOD EXISTS, YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL!" I'd probably defend the other religions. Whereas.

"GOD DOESN'T EXIST, YOU STUPID PEOPLE." I'd make points supporting that he COULD exist.

So I dunno.

4. jafar custom title

Most people don't choose. They may convert later in life, but most believe in their own religion because they were raised being told their religion is right. Although I was raised Jewish, I'm Athiest by choice, but I still have strong ties with my tradition and history. I used to believe in God, but one day, I stopped since, to me, there was more evidence against it than for it. I was never very religious anyways, but in many ways, I'm more religious now than I was when I did believe in God. lol, irony.

5. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

i did not choose my family was brought up as a Christan so i followed

6. Rainbow~Monkey Gummi Ship Junkie

I appreciate the courage you must have in your heart.
    I don't think that I could face life with all of its hardships
    without belief in a loving, and all-powerful God.

7. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i could not live the same way without faith

8. Daydreamer

I chose to not be a part of any religion.
    I believe people should decide for themselves between what's right or what's wrong, not by the dogma preached to them in church.
    I believe people can be good just for goodness' sake, not out of fear of punishment in the next life. I don't want to be motivated by fear.

9. jafar custom title

The reason people have faith in these various Gods is because we're afraid. We afraid of death. We're afraid of life. You need comfort in something to help support you in the rough times. For me, it's my friends and family. But even with that, people need the comfort knowing everything is going to be okay because God can do something about it and that if somebody close dies, God will take care of them after they part this world and that we can meet up with them when we die.
    But, no, it isn't courage. I just want to understand the world in a way that religion prevents me from understanding. And I just want to find my own way. There are many times that I wish there was a God. I do feel helpless with aspects of my life and sometimes I wish the impossible would happen. I prayed, yes, even though I'm Athiest, but nothing happened. I realized that what happens with my life is up to me, not this God person.

10. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I was born a Christian, but shortly after I was confirmed I converted to Wicca and have loved it since then. I guess I've always loved the idea of drawing energy from various spirits and elements and somewhat being able to control what happens to you over some other higher power.

Now, that doesn't mean I've closed out God completely. I still do believe He exists, and I know sometimes He tends to like to remind me He exists (like when I got into a car crash that should have killed me, but I only sprained my foot). I just don't feel I can be as devoted as my aunt, grandmother, and father can. My mother is the only one that supports my choice. She's asked me to do several rituals and magic spells on her now.

11. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I chose to be wiccan (kinda chose, almost didnt have a choice) bcause it seems to have more freedom then other religions. I also love the whole nature aspect, it seems so much better. Of course, the choice separates me from the rest of my family, but I'm okay with it.

12. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

No, your parents decided that you would be Christian. You had no choice in the matter. You were forced into following the path of Christianity so that by the time you were able to make decisions by yourself you didn't know anything else. All you knew was Christianity.

I can live just fine without belief in some all-powerful being. Are you too weak to do so? Then maybe you are too weak to live in general? Or maybe you are human. Maybe you don't like absolutes. Maybe you want absolution in your life, while the other doesn't care.

You probably could, you've just never given your consciousness a chance.

Exactly, although most "goodness" is inherently selfish in that you do something good for someone else with the idea that that person will do something good for you in the future. This is a misfiring of a gene from when we lived in societies comprised of a limited number of people. This means that if we did something good for someone we saw it would be quite likely that we would see that person again and they would do something good for us; thereby increasing our chance of survival and spreading that particular gene structure.

Other than the Bible (which isn't exactly reliable in any way) what reasons do you have to believe what you do?

13. Dredica SNES was the best.

I was born into it, just like most of us. But if I were to have to choose now, I would choose to be Christian still.​

Dude, you need to back off. This subject had nothing to do with atheism, it said why did you choose your religion, I don't think that atheism is considered a religion, instead, you, being an ******* like you are, want to come in and disgrace a whole group of people and their beliefs for no reason whatsoever. This wasn't a debate about God's existence, so go find someone else's parade to rain on jerk, then you call people weak when they give their money and their time to the church, and suffer fasting and everything in between? Whatever, just back off. I honestly can't stand people like you, what makes you think you can do stuff like that? What did any of these people do to you? Nobody in here started bashing on your beliefs, and again, that's not even what this thread is supposed to be about.
    Get a life, for real.

14. P Banned

I don't think that I could face life with all of its hardships with belief in a loving, all-powerful god, because it would mean that not only do we live in a cruel world, but there is an all powerful deity who knowing leaves us to suffer in this life.

15. Dredica SNES was the best.

Shut up, she didn't say anything to you at all. She was just saying the way she felt about her life and how she gets through it, she didn't ask you for your opinion. Is your heart really that cold to say something like that to her? She was saying how she RESPECTED him for his choice to live life without God, while you, on the other hand, seem to think it's okay to totally just turn around and do the opposite to her.​

16. water mage Kingdom Keeper

I chose to be Christian not because I was forced, but simply I felt it was the right choice for me. I believe in God, but I don't attend church for I don't believe you have to go to a place to worship him. I believe he is in my heart and sends out guardian angels to watch over me and give me the strength I need to get passed hard events.

17. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I did not mention Atheism once. All I did was say that that the so-called "choice" was not a choice at all. It was forced upon the person by their parents. Both of my parents were brought up in Christian households but they decided that they would give us the choice of what to believe. They didn't force us to go to church or force use to read the Bible etc. They let use make up our own damn minds. They let us be human beings, not slaves. And I love them so much for that.
    Also, freedom of speech. I can say whatever I want. It means that you can say that back against me because you have every right to say what you want. But it also means that I can say whatever I want in the first place. There is nothing that says you have to listen or agree with what I say, but you have no right to say that I am not allowed to say it.
    These people did nothing to me, it is the beliefs and belief systems that I have a problem with. All I am doing is asking questions. If you have a problem with that then get off the Internet. The Internet exists solely for the exchange of information. All I am doing is encouraging the acquisition of information.

Again, freedom of speech. Anyone can say whatever they want. But they can also be challenged by anyone else. You have no right to tell Pika to shut up. All you are doing is making yourself sound like a childish fool who has no other defence than to tell other people to stop talking =/

18. Dredica SNES was the best.

Freedom of Speech, uhh, you're not talking.​

19. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Speech is the transmission of information, in any form. That includes the electronic format such as on this forum ;)

20. T3F Chaser

I didn't say I had a choice...
    You make christianity sound like a force...